close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Double Tap 200gr. ammo is not loaded with 200gr. bullets!!!!

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Tmygun, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Tmygun

Tmygun
    Expand Collapse

I was commenting in another thread about my disappointment that Double Tap exchanged the Hornady 200gr. XTP for the Montana Gold bullets in their 10mm ammo. So imagine my surprise when I pulled down one of the cartridges to weigh the bullet and found it to only weigh 180grs.!!!! It is a 180gr. Montana Gold bullet loaded with 8.2grs of what appears to be a flattened ball type powder.
    Double Tap is going to hear about this.

Tmygun

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Tmygun, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. PATRICE

PATRICE
    Expand Collapse
    . . . . .

#2 PATRICE, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  3. RyeDaddy

RyeDaddy
    Expand Collapse

For real.

4. Tmygun

Tmygun
    Expand Collapse

Well, I have my complaint in by email. If I don't hear for a while, I'll follow up with a phone call. At least I'm only a target shooter, but this just isn't right for all of the hunters that buy this ammo thinking that they're getting true Hornady 200gr. XTP ammo for possible backup against dangerous game, and they're getting 180gr.ammo with a bullet of questionable reliability for penetration. I've always heard MG bullets are excellent for target work, but I've heard several reports of jacket seperation and overpenetration for defense use.
    This was my very first box of Doubole Tap ammo that I've ever bought, their response will determine if it's my last.

Tmygun

5. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne
    Expand Collapse

Seems like this is becoming more and more common for DT.

6. Blitzer

Blitzer
    Expand Collapse
    Cool Cat

After speaking to those in the know: a letter would scream for attention more than emails or phone calls. ;)

7. thegriz18

thegriz18
    Expand Collapse
    Paper Killer

I guess this seals their fate in my book. Way too many negative comments.

8. remat

remat
    Expand Collapse

Out of curiosity, why did you pull the bullet? And did you pull one bullet or bullets (title says bullets). Are you saying it was a fluke or that they all are?

Pics would help too.

#8 remat, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  9. Tmygun

Tmygun
    Expand Collapse

I noticed first when I held a loose/unloaded 180gr. MG bullet next to a loaded DT case. I could see from the bulge in the case, where the base of the bullet stops, that it was the same length bullet. I next went to the Montana Gold website and checked out the bullet weights for 40/10mm bullets. It turns out that they make a 200gr. FMJ, but the JHP only goes to 180grs.
    You already know what happened when I pulled one to check. I wish others here would pull and weigh some of the same ammo, just to confirm. But since MG doesn't make a 200gr. JHP in 10mm, I'm pretty sure what they're going to find.
    I will post pics of another pulled DT.

Tmygun

#9 Tmygun, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  10. Tmygun

Tmygun
    Expand Collapse

I took some pics of a second round I pulled. The 1st pic is the ammo itself. The 2nd pic is a 500 piece bag of MG 180gr JHP bullets, showing one bullet. The 3rd pic is a loose bullet from the bag placed next to the loaded DT cartridge. The 4th pic is the pulled bullet from the DT ammo. The 5th pic is the MG bullet from the DT cartridge being weighed.
    They are 180gr. bullets people.
    And I couldn't have gotten boxes mixed up, because this is the one and only box I've ever purchased from Double Tap.

Tmygun

Attached Files:

#10 Tmygun, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  11. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson
    Expand Collapse

Switching to 180 gr bullets *would* indeed make it easier to reach that 1200 fps goal! :)

But putting MG bulets in any loads other than target/plinking is a waste of time...

12. ChaneyD

ChaneyD
    Expand Collapse

Another reason I don't/won't buy from them anymore.

13. glocksterr

glocksterr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyGlockHippy

busted!

they cant git' nothin' by y0u.

:)

14. Tmygun

Tmygun
    Expand Collapse

Well, I have email #2 on it's way. I think I'll send a fax next. This isn't about getting a fefund or another box of ammo, this is about DT stepping up to the plate and at least acknowledging that they made a mistake.
    I told them that this is a serious error and could be a danger to people buying this ammo as backup against bears or something (since we don't know how MG bullets perform against such animals the way XTP's do). I told them that I'm just a target shooter, but still, I would like to get what I paid for.
    I guess we'll see.

Tmygun

15. remat

remat
    Expand Collapse

I appreciate you taking the time to post the pics.
    I am curious to see what they say. Check your p.m.'s...

16. the iceman

the iceman
    Expand Collapse
    Proud Veteran
    CLM

This isn't good. All of the negative complaints about Double Tap and their lack of customer service/owning up has me questioning if I should spend another penny there.

17. c5367

c5367
    Expand Collapse
    Esq.

wow....

Definitely not good.

18. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi
    Expand Collapse
    NO BRASS FOR U!

What would be worse is if they put a 200gr bullet on top of a powder charge for a 180!

19. Tmygun

Tmygun
    Expand Collapse

I still haven't heard a peep from Double Tap yet:whistling:.

Tmygun

20. KiloBravo

KiloBravo
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Newb

Wow...I hope that they do get on here and read this. Myself, now along with several others who have posted in this thread thus far will now never spend one penny there.

I have not yet made a purchase from them, and am very confident now that I will not be buying anything. There have been a ton of negative postings on their lack of service and delivering on what they promise to the customer.

That is too bad for them because I am going to make an order this weekend for a fair amount of ammo. (.380, .40, and .45) I guess I know now to place that order elsewhere.