Double Tap 200 Grain Nosler?

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by 4949shooter, Nov 21, 2011.

1. #1 4949shooter, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  2. twisted1

twisted1 head busta

More like 1150 fps

3. dryfly

Platinum Member

Im with you....I will miss Swamp Fox 200gr xtp's...

Going with Buffalo Bore 180 jhp and their 220 HC for starters...

I am now seriously considering reloading....

4. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 Second2None

No kidding there. Man this sucks

5. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Ya same here, Ive been putting it off since I could always buy from mike, now Ill be getting into it very soon!

6. What's the latest on the bullets BB is using?

7. dryfly

Platinum Member

Not sure...I think they were using gold dot for their 180gr jhp last year...

8. Okay thanks..

9. And apparently they aren't loading an XTP anymore...

10. dryfly

Platinum Member

I will also be playing with the Buffalo Bore 220grain HC...
    I am going to stay away from DT because of the chrono inconsistencies and false advertising....

11. It stinks. There just aren't enough good choices for those of us who don't reload.

12. You summed up my thoughts exactly. I have been "thinking" about reloading for a while now. I am going to start saving for a reloading press now. I have been saving brass for a while (think I have around 1k rounds), so I should be OK to get started.

Mike's 200gr XTPs @ 1325 fps sure put a smile on my face...

Never got to shoot his 135gr Noslers @ 1700 fps. Those were part of my last order...

13. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Every time I have looked at a box of 180s the past couple of years it has been loaded with Montana Gold bullets. I haven't seen Gold Dots for a long time. They are certainly stout, but the bullet isn't a defensive bullet.

14. dryfly

Platinum Member

Why do you say Montana Gold isnt a "defensive bullet" ? Can you elaborate so I could understand? I know the GD's would be a better choice because they are bonded...But a 180grain MG going 1327fps with a 705 KE cant be all that bad of a defensive bullet ??

15. Deep Blue

Millennium Member

Just because it's a hollow point, doesn't mean it's really designed to open. I've seen a video on YouTube that showed underwhelming performance.

16. Deep Blue, do you have a link to this test by any chance?

17. dryfly

Platinum Member

Anything pushed by a 10mm has got to be effective....at least somewhat effective....

18. Just a suggestion, you guy's should look into one of the inexpensive RCBS single stage kits and get started in reloading, at the cost of 10mm ammo it will soon pay for itself, not to mention you can then customize your loads to your needs.

If you shoot anything other then .223/9mm you'll save some serious bucks, I even hand load those two, not so much to save money but simply because my hand loads are superior to any factory load...especially .223/5.56 or something in-between.

19. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

The OP was inquiring about a heavy load for woods carry. That implies a need for a bullet that penetrates. A bullet that sheds mass in the manner of the MG target bullet will be less apt to penetrate to vitals on larger animals than a more suitable bullet like an XTP or, to a lesser extent, a 180 gr Gold Dot.

No doubt a high energy offering. They cycle great in my G20.

20. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

I agree. I have an RCBS Rockchucker Supreme press. It is a great tool. Probably will last for the rest of my life