Glock Talk banner

Double action 1911 Colt?

4K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  BuckyP 
#1 · (Edited)
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel
Found a new Colt 1911 Government model Double action for sale. Please tell me if it's worth picking up

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
DA only. The DA felt a lot better in the hand than the regular 9mm 1911. The trigger was heavy but smooth. The nice thing was no grip or thumb safeties to mess with. It felt so good that I started to get a tingling going up my leg lol....

#4 ·
That one came out a few years back. Less than 10 IIRC. I have never seen one outside a Colt catalog.

#5 ·
Never heard of such a thing. The one thing to me that makes the 1911 stand out above the rest is the great trigger pull, I think this would ruin a 1911.

#10 ·
I seem to recall something I read not long ago about Colt still making these things in small numbers.

I don't view it any different than any other dao gun. It's different enough from a 1911 that it doesn't piss me off.

I'd rather have the single action please.

#13 ·
Surprised no one has mentioned the Para Ordinance LDA. 1911 platform with a Light Double Action. Not sure if the Colt da is similar to that. I have one that is officer sized in the grip with a 4 inch barrel. Very accurate. The Colt above would be more of a safe queen, collector piece. Unique.

#15 ·
A long time ago a gunsmith would convert 11911 to double action. His name was Seacamp. Same Seacamp of todays 32 ACP fame.

Now the best feature of the 1911 is it's trigger. When these conversions were done it was in a time when many police chiefs only approved of revolvers. S&W's 39 was trying to make inroads into the police market. It was in 9 MM and jacket hollow points were just coming onto the market. They were not that good so many people wanted a big bore gun. The theory was that the 1911 in 45 was a known man stopper but had to be carried cocked and locked or hammer down on empty chamber.

Now if someone made a double action 1911 that would solve the problem........

Colt ever the inventor copied (or bought Seacamp's ) design and made them. They called it the Double Eagle.

As Colt goes it almost up there with their American 2000 with collectors.

#16 ·
Just an update. I did purchase the DA Colt. The gun store worked with me and came down in price and didn't charge me tax also. I contacted Colt today to find out about production numbers, which was told that Colt only produced a couple of hundred of these.

While they may not be the most desirable 1911s made, it's nice to know that not everybody and their brother will have one.

I also ordered another Colt 1911 government model in 9mm finished in brush stainless. Which they gave me a good deal on.

#17 ·
I looked at one in a gunstore when they came out for about $1K. The DA trigger was not great. I would love to know the story behind these at Colt. The little New Agents are very rare. Rare does not mean you can sell it for huge amounts. Let us not forget the first time Colt did the DA. Of course then it was SA/DA.

#18 ·
Yeah I know the DA may not be the investment piece, however, I like that fact it's different and low production numbers.

#20 ·
Well guys I finally got them.....Just some eye candy.
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

#21 ·
Interesting - I had no idea they had tried a 1911ish doubt-action after the Double Eagle. That is an odd looking gun - just looking closer to a 1911 makes it seem stranger than the Double Eagle, which looked more S&Wish.

#23 ·
actually the Double Eagle was different than Seecamp's design (since they couldn't copy it and didn't want to license it...)

The Seecamp was only DA for the first shot and then 1911 after that albeit with a tilting trigger that activated the SA trigger system of the Colt...

Bill

Reactions: deputy tom
#24 ·
actually the Double Eagle was different than Seecamp's design (since they couldn't copy it and didn't want to license it...)

The Seecamp was only DA for the first shot and then 1911 after that albeit with a tilting trigger that activated the SA trigger system of the Colt...

Bill

My buddy had a Seecamp Commander double action conversion. It was a neat pistol. Too bad it was stolen when his house was broken into. The thieves cut open the Treadlock gunsafe and cleaned him out. I wish the Police would have caught the perps. tom. :steamed:

Reactions: silversport
#25 ·
it is a nice albeit different pistol for sure...sorry to hear your buddy had his stolen...Seecamp credited the DA/SA SIG P220 .45ACP as the reason to get out of the market after making just under 2000 examples...

Bill

#26 ·
The original Double Eagle ran from '89 to '97. It made a big splash at first, but it came out at the same time as a slew of other significant forty-fives.
The S&W 4506, the Sig P220, Glock 21, and later the H&K USP45 really stole Colt's thunder and Colt's manufacturing, development, and advertising reticence allowed this model to slip into obscurity. I guess they re-used the old tooling to produce this DAO variant. I didn't know this model was even produced. From what I can gather, it is called the M1991 DAO and came out in 2011...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.