close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Doomsday prepper shoots off thumb

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by ICARRY2, Feb 15, 2012.

1. ICARRY2

ICARRY2 NRA Life Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Anyone see the doomsday preppers show last night where the guy from Arizona shot off his thumb?

A good rule of thumb is to keep your keep your thumb away from the barrel of your gun.

2. banger

banger

Nov 8, 2005
    Where evil lives
    I saw him during an interview with FOX News.

Seems like a likable guy.

What I liked is that he made no attempt at a flimsy excuse, simply admitted the mistake, and vowed, "never to do that again".

3. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Argh, forgot to DVR it. Hope it's on again soon.

4. ICARRY2

ICARRY2 NRA Life Member

Dec 22, 2007
    I still dont understand why people go on tv and tell the whole country how much good stuff they have stockpiled.

People need to learn one of the most important rules of surviving teotwawki/shtf is to keep your mouth shut, keep a low profile and blend in with everyone else around you.

5. SixkillerEnterprises

SixkillerEnterprises

Aug 16, 2011
    You can't survive in the post apocalypse if you don't make it to doomsday, guy.

6. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    So, the show has had what...3 episodes or something? And 1 guy is ruled looney and lost his guns, and another shot his finger off?

Well...okay, then.

7. .50 cal

.50 cal

Jan 4, 2011
    Philadelphia
    I saw the episode and I am still not sure how you can shoot your thumb with a long gun, his shovel tool/weapon invention did look interesting however

8. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

Sep 30, 2010
    PHX AZ
    Just watching this episode now... Those pics were gnarly. Poor guy. And ya that Koval? Looked bad ass!

9. coleslaw

coleslaw

Jun 14, 2011
    I agree with you. But N.G. is probably paying these people and that money is probably helping these preppers... prep. The common theme that I see in between all these preppers is that there "gear" looks expensive. For example that 20 year old girl in Houston and that firefighter in New York. I'm sure they could afford bigger places if they didn't prep. But then they wouldn't be preppers would they.

10. coleslaw

coleslaw

Jun 14, 2011
    I might get RIPPED for this question but why do you need 3 years worth of food stored up? The way I see it is, if the "S" hits the fan THAT bad that you need to be underground and you actually need every bit of that 3 years of food then how do you expect things to be after that?

I'm not articualting this in the best way but all I'm trying to say is in a situation in that is that bad (situations presented in this show) then how long do you really plan on living after a EOTWAWKI situation, and what is the plan after the prep runs out? But I'm not a prepper, I just have a 3 day bag, bug out plan and some ammo and energy bars. Maybe I need to expand my awareness.

11. ICARRY2

ICARRY2 NRA Life Member

Dec 22, 2007
    I agree with you that they are being paid. But, how much? Is the amount worth the risk of having all of your stuff stolen from being on national tv? How much money do they already have invested, compared to what they earn from NG?

Some of these people have tens of thousands of dollars worth of gear and then tens of thousands of dollars worth of guns/ammo.

I would like to know how much they are being paid for appearing on NG.

12. Most non preppers it seems that during a SHTF experience, plan to scavenge for food or water, or to possibly take it from people that have it, when their own short supplies run out. Preppers plan to live through any disaster, regardless of how bad it may be, by depending on no one but themselves. 3 years worth of food is a metric TON of food, alot of times there's no room to store any additional. I don't have a problem with people storing as much food as they possibly can, there's nothing wrong with being as prepared as possible.

13. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Jan 27, 2006
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    I hate to tell you, But Doomsday Preppers is making a joke out of all preppers/survivalists.

14. JDMitchell

JDMitchell

Dec 13, 2011
    Ft Leonard Wood
    I loved how he said the rifle "misfired". Nope bud you just forgot one of the four fundamentals of weapons safety.

The worst part is that the best prepper's would never even consider going on camera with their stockpiles of weapons and violate OPSEC. So that leaves "those people".

15. Linh40

Linh40 Member

May 27, 2005
    So we got:

1 got his firearms confiscated
    1 had his rifle "misfire"

I wonder what's next?

16. codecowboy

codecowboy NRA Life Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Texas
    The show is fun to watch and every once in a while I pick up a nugget of information it still violates Rule #1 & #2

Rule #1 Never talk about Prep Club.
    Rule #2 NEVER TALK ABOUT PREP CLUB!!!!

17. GlockNevada

GlockNevada

Jan 7, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Lol yeah I too laughed when he said the gun "malfunctioned"...seems like it worked just fine? :D

I do like watching to see how these people are prepping based on how they think things are going to go down. Its interesting to see how many think they'll be fine without guns or how many have all these supplies in their homes...but no fortifications. Its also amazing how many people buy all this stuff/gear without putting it all on and thinking they're going to hike it out.

I don't know if the show necessarily makes them look crazy because they are self reliant and I see that as good. It does make them seem like they have irrational fears because at the end it always says how unlikely the odds are that the event would happen. Unfortunately I think the show does a disservice to the public by doing this because it keeps people in a state of unreadiness. Israel is a strong country and people because everyone has to serve 2 years in the military. They're all trained in combat, weapons and survival which is a huge benefit imo.

My girlfriend and I are just starting to get some things together. We started with a couple of handguns and our ccw permits. We are already deciding on our next weapons. I'm looking at a mossberg 590. We'll be adding some knives too. Presently we live in an apartment so we'll have to be more mobile. I'm looking at some Eberlestock backpacks. Thanks to all of you here I also have a list off things to fill em with as well. I know we have a lot to get since we are starting from scratch...but at least the information you guys provide help me from making many of the common mistakes. Thanks again ;)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

18. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    We have more than 3yrs of stuff.The nature of preppers is ta survive and be able ta help rebuild their communities after the event is over.This will depend on the type of event that happens and the length of it.

It's really looking that way John.'08.

19. "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win" - Mahatma Gandhi

Looks like we are in the 'ridicule you' stage.

20. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    You took the words right out of my mouth. These chuckleheads have no idea whats going to slam them if something happens. Everybody and their brother who knows them is going to bombard their location.:upeyes: That is why I can't take them serious.