close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Doomsday Prepper-ish ? about vehicles

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RowdyatHeart, Apr 2, 2012.

1. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

My wife and I get snared into the DDP marathon that ran this weekend. We came to a consensus that it would be a good idea to set things aside as our parents did for posterity. Her family has a a place in the country 184 miles from home well defended, supplied and with resources.

I am not sure about all the stuff I see on DDP. The most likely scenario I see there is an economic collapse. I am almost certain we will see one on par with the Great Depression, if not worse, given the course we are on now.

Another possibility would be an EMP bomb detonation. If I am correct, if this happened no modern cars would work due to electronics but older vehicles that use points, plugs and carburetors will. Am I correct or not?

Thanks

2. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

No answer for your question, but that show was a hoot yesterday.
    How about that dolt with a semi that bought camo netting to hide it? He bought like 3 pieces and needed 10 more. One would think a semi driver might know the length of his rig.

3. PBCounty

PBCounty

I'd get a car like the one in Richard Pryor's "Moving." That thing was badass. I'd put a rocket launcher on it though.

4. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

Vehicles with points in the distributor cap don't need an EMP to seize up... They pretty much do it on their own.

5. gatorboy

gatorboy

Vehicles stored properly will be ok as long as they're stored when it 'hits'. Definately worth having an ATV or two to work around the property.

6. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

I think the EMP "menace" is largely overblown. Better to have a vehicle that can make the trip with what you need to carry and can go off road in case you need to swerve around stalled/wrecked cars. Can you get over/through downed trees? How many flats can you sustain? Are you going to take the time to switch tires or can you just patch or "fix a flat" them?

The real trick to getting out of a disaster area is to be the FIRST one leaving. Any car can drive away so long as the roads are clear. So having adequate gas on hand and being ready to bug out in very short notice is far more critical than having a motor oil drinking deuce and a half, 'cause if the roads are clogged with fleeing refugees you ain't getting by them no matter what. A recent map with backroads YOU HAVE RECONED is also very helpful, you can't rely on GPS as those maps may be inaccurate, outdated, or unavailable.

Is the place you are bugging out to better supplied than where you are now? If so, why?

7. cphilip

cphilip

Find yourself an old Mercedes 240 or 300D Station wagon. Will be able to run off various oils recovered and found and, other than the cranking battery and gauges, electronic free operation.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  8. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

The place is better supplied and has more resources and a well that produces good water. This is due to the fact her parents have been preparing it for some time.

You make a good point. If you don't get out of Dodge first, you better be prepared to make it for a while until you can. Our neighborhood has two ways in and out in a U shape. Job one would be making those two entrances impassible.

We all need to get back to knowing our neighbors as it was 30 years ago. The big flaw I see in every person on DDP is they think they can go it alone. I don't see it that way. We can't go it alone as it is now.

As far as Recon, We are starting to do that. I even believe it would be a good idea to meet people along the way now and let them know our plan. That will take a long time to do but it wouldn't hurt I think. That way if you were broken down, they would know you are legit and you do have a place to go to---you're not trying to con them.

How would you protect you car----just leave it in the garage.

Ever since Katrina, we fill our cars when they get to 1/2 of a tank. I saw gas run out then.

I am looking into a garden in the back yard.

9. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

That's funny I don't care who you are.

10. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

How bout that hi point pistol home boy was concealing?

11. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

I know it was for TV, but breaking rule #1- pulling up your shirt, showing kaboom pistol and grinning like a cat- was just stupid also. I think he forgot about fuel shortages in his version of TEOTWAWKI, and maybe he watched Road Warrior one too many times.

12. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

:supergrin:One episode showed a guy with a Hi-Point pisol and a Hi-Point carbine. At least he was keeping it simple.

13. icantpick

icantpick Señor Member

Pretty much all vehicles will be fine. The electronics are so rugged that they can survive just about anything. There was a government study a few years ago where they shot cars will emps; the worst they could do was cause a running car to shut off with no damage (just craked the engine to restore function). This is one place you don't need to worry.

14. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

Thanks that is good to know.

15. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

It's the other way around. The modern vehicles would be dead in the water. The EMP would fry the electronics. The older vehicles with carburetors and breaker point ignition systems may still run after the electromagnetic field wears off.

If in doubt of the vehicle you have and you want something that will for sure run, go for a vehicle with a diesel with a all mechanical fuel system and a manual transmission. Even if the starter doesn't work, you can always push/pull start it.

16. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

That study was flawed and isn't entirely true. There have been studies by several manufactures of vehicle electronic control systems regarding electromagnetic interference and high energy pulses of EM energy. The short answer is the electronics won't survive above a certain threshold. I have spoken with several engineers from three different manufactures on this issue and that's what they told me.

Although the electronics are well shielded and more so now than ever before, they are not immune to EMP as you suggest they are. Your in for a rude surprise if one of these events ever takes place and your betting on your all electronic vehicle being usable my friend.

17. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

I'm sure one of these can handle it....:supergrin:

[​IMG]

18. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Witless Protection Program

Trump Tower, overlooking the wall Mexico bought.
    When and where have modern vehicles ever been incapacitated by EMP's?

Or crushed by meteorites?

Some potential problems deserve more attention than others.

[​IMG]

19. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

I thought about one of the first generation Dodge Cummins pick ups floating around will relatively low mileage.

20. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

If you are worried about WMD's then you might consider a fast car to get out of town before the highways turn into the mother of all traffic jams.