close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

don't the straps and clips on IWB holster 'out' you

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by wtr100, Dec 31, 2012.

1. wtr100

wtr100

I'm from IL so go easy on me here

Looking at the possibility (if we don't screw it up) for CCW in IL sometime in the next year.

Looking at IWB holsters - it seems they are held in place with clips and snaps - isn't this a 'tell' that you're carrying?

2. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Not really if you keep them covered up. Besides even if a clip shows I bet 99% of people won't even notice. I open carry and you'd be surprised how many people don't notice the full size G22 on my hip until 5 minutes into a conversation.

3. Triple7

Triple7

I'm from the "who cares" camp. If they are not a criminal with ill intent I could care less.

4. wtr100

wtr100

good point - being in the peoples demokratik republic of IL must have rotted my brain some

5. Badwolf75

Badwolf75

As far as clips go, plenty of people carry cell phones clipped to their belts. Remember the average person is not looking for your gun.

6. Lowjiber

Lowjiber

Sorry about where you live.

That said, the clips on an IWB holster are rarely visible anyway. First off, your outer shirt/jacket/vest is untucked and covers your belt. Secondly, the clips on most popular IWB holsters are black, flat metal that blend quite well into a black gunbelt. Thirdly, many (if not most) carry the firearm in the 4:00+ position...meaning that even though an open vest/coat still won't show the clips.

I've carried for over thirty years and have never had anyone even remotely ask "What's that clip on your belt?"

7. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Yes. Proper concealment involves covering them. It's better than the "please notice me" of carrying openly where legal to conceal, but proper concealment involves an untucked shirt or jacket/overshirt covering those clips/loops.

8. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Are you referring to tuckable IWB? Otherwise, the shirt that covers the gun can be long enough to carry the strap or clip.

9. txjeep

txjeep

I got made the other day because of a black clip. The only reason they knew what it was is that the person also carries. It didn't help that I was wearing khaki pants. I explained carry etiquette to the guy so he would be more discrete in the future. Only time in about ten years anyone ever said anything to me. Most people if they see the clips aren't thinking gun.

10. Ducowti

Ducowti

Or you can use concealed clips like CompTac's velcro jobs that velcro to inside of belt. Nothing visible.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

11. Shinytop

Shinytop

How well do the velcro clips hold?

12. bdhawk

bdhawk

if you have a cover garment, the clips are hidden.

but, if you carry tucked, the clips show. the ones that are narrow strips of kydex, like comptac uses, are seldom noticed. they look like beltloops.

the metal ones with the crosses, well they may as well have flashing lights on them. look at the cross breed ad pics, and you will see what i mean.

13. Ducowti

Ducowti

Sufficiently. I have not had my holster shift or move with an aggressive draw. Slightly lifted in pic so you can see one clip and how discreet these clips are.

View attachment 230068

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. KoshTHX

KoshTHX

That's pretty discreet. I haven't really seen any photos using the velcro clips but it looks even better than I thought it would work. Thanks for posting the image. I'm putting a velcro belt on my short list.

15. RetailNinja

RetailNinja

I have been CCing in IL for 6 years. Get holsters with straps the same color as your belt. Kydex shows easily, even against an instructor belt, but no one's ever questioned me as to what it is. Typically black leather + black belt and tan leather + tan belt.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  16. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I prefer 'J' clips and they have very little exposure, 1/8" to 1/4 ", in black orBrown Kydex to match the belt. I bought Kydex and make my own to replace the OEM. They do not squeak either.

17. slickt0mmy

slickt0mmy

As others have said, J-Clips or Velcro clips can be used if you're paranoid. Personally, I don't bother with them because:
    1. I've never had anyone notice the normal clips.
    2. I figure anyone who DOES notice, is probably also carrying themselves and won't care much.

18. ScottieG59

ScottieG59

If you leave your zipper open with your shirt tail sticking out, it will draw their gaze from those holster clips.

I will wear a shirt or jacket that covers the clips. Also, I have a Kahr PM9 and a Springfield Armory XDs that I pocket carry in pocket holsters.

There are some holsters that have a fake pager or phone cover the clips.

Also, people just tend not to notice.

19. Radam3

Radam3

I have never been made (to my knowledge) due to my crossbreed's clips. Even with the crosses on them. Gun people may notice, but the rest of the sheep are more than likely have no clue what the clips go to, let alone notice them.
    Either wear your shirt untucked, and not worry about it. Or if you have to wear it tucked, just make sure it's baggy enough around your firearm, or wear a cover garment.
    Best of luck with the IL laws.

"No more judgement day
    Only tranquility
    Peace signs, protest lines
    Mean nothing to me"

20. Tx-SIG229

Tx-SIG229

this

i'd also say that non CHLers probably don't even know what it is