close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Don't park in a "compact car" space if you don't drive a compact car

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by devildog2067, Mar 14, 2013.

1. devildog2067

devildog2067

Apr 20, 2005
    Chicago
    I drive to work on average maybe ~2x per week. Sometimes I take the train, sometimes I work from home, sometimes I don't go into the office because I'm on the road at a client.

When I do drive to work, I always park at the same parking garage, so I've been seeing the same cars for a couple of years now. The garage is 10 stories and is never ever full, but the spaces near the elevator on the low floors do fill up fairly quickly.

Half of those spaces are "compact car" spaces. Every day, they're full (2 cars per 3 spaces on average, since they don't fit) of Honda Pilots, Jeep Grand Cherokees, minivans, full-size sedans like Tauruses--everything but cars that actually fit between the lines. These are pretty small spaces, even a large-ish domestic sedan like a Chevy Malibu doesn't really fit.

I've seen this guy double parked somewhere every time I have gone into the garage. One of these days I'm gonna set his car on fire.

[​IMG]

2. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    Texas
    And people like that wonder why their car gets "keyed".

3. BEER

BEER bad example

May 2, 2006
    Dayton, Texas
    what cracks me up is i've started seeing these "compact car" spaces 1)right up front at hardware stores like lowes and home depot, 2) in Texas no less.

i've got to haul out a cart with 3 sheets of plywood and 4 25 pound bags of qwikcrete but i've got to go further that some compact car driver carrying a single gallon of paint or a pack of drawer pulls? wtf?

Texas is predominantly a truck state. i never expected this whole compact car space thing to happen here anywhere other than in front of starbucks or whole foods.

4. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Sep 27, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Cordless drill with a 1/8" bit works great. Toothpicks in the door locks work too. :whistling:

5. JMS

JMS 02

May 6, 2007
    [​IMG]
    The last time I saw someone parked like this, I parked to the left of him, right on the line. He tried backing out, it took him about 5 minutes of backing up, pulling up, backing up, pulling up to maneuver his way out of the spot. Thank goodness my windows were tinted, I was laughing so much.

6. Altaris

Altaris

Feb 16, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  7. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

Apr 6, 2002
    Central Iowa
    I have been known to pull up real tight to the drivers side, so our mirrors just miss by "this" much, and park it. And leave it.

After a few days of that crap, I'll bet the errant driver will find someplace else to stink up.

8. RenoF250

RenoF250

Feb 23, 2008
    I generally park out a ways so there is no one parked near my car but some parking lots are 80% compact spots and almost no one around here has a compact. They are also wasting a ton of space on the EV spots in some locations.

9. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Mar 10, 2007
    KY
  10. douggmc

douggmc

Feb 23, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I take special joy in parking in specially "designated" spots (not handicapped) like that.

Particularly like the ones marked "employee of the month" at Best Buy. Excuse me? Who is the customer? The employees can park out in BFE spaces and walk.

Another favorite parking spot of mine is at my local shopping mall where there are like 10 spots right up front marked "family parking" with stupid little signs of a minivan with stick figures of a mom getting her children out.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

11. Halojumper

Halojumper

Mar 18, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Why did you black out his plate? If it's a public place, in sight over everybody, I don't think he has any expectation of privacy to that extent. Plus, somebody might recognize it and give him flack too.

12. Were it my garage, there would be a lot of tow truck traffic.

Failure to post consequences for breaking the rules, and then follow through in enforcing them leads to people not respecting the establishment.

Park in the lines, or go pick up your car from a lot with no lines.

13. 427

Nov 23, 2009
    KUMSC
    I drive a '70s full sized truck w/paint issues, I park in those all the time - it fits between the lines... barely.

14. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam
    I park my motorcycle in regular spaces. It really pisses off the bubbas around here who want me to park on the sidewalk so the they can park the phallic -250s in the spaces for "real" vehicles. HH

15. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Somewhere in the air.
    Why wait?

16. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

Apr 6, 2002
    Central Iowa
    I leave those alone. My wife and I had 3 kids under 5 years old many years ago, and getting that kind of baggage through a mall parking lot can be a real heart stopper. This one is truly for the young moms out there, and having been through it, I have to respect the hassle and worry of a young parent.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  17. On that note, were it my garage, I would respect the fact that you were following the rules I care about.

Far as i'm concerned, the compact car designation is a suggestion, and letting the motorist know the space is smaller.

If you can fit, it's yours.

Bear in mind, though, choosing to park a larger vehicle into a smaller space that is designated as such, the rubber better be inside the paint on the floor or it's gone.

(hypothetical, as I don't own a garage, but i've towed enough out to have put some thought into how i'd work it.)

18. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)

Those "compact" spots are BS. Just like the family, or my very, VERY favorite of the BS parking spaces.

The "Hybrid/fuel efficient vehicle" spaces that are now becoming popular. Especially at the PX.

I take a deranged pleasure in parking my extended cab 2500 diesel truck in them. And leaving it running in the winter while I shop.

Plus, they are ALWAYS in the preferred parking locations. I get why the handicapped get better parking than the rest of us, but I'll be damned if I'm going to park further out than some soccer mom just because I haven't popped out a couple of mouth breathers, or because I drive a vehicle that can actually haul the stuff I own and didn't drive the econo-box to the wholesale store.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  19. 223Carbine

223Carbine

Jan 29, 2013
    Texas
    Well howdy from Texas. This is my first post here, but I do want to say that I think those compact car spaces are BS. Why would anyone redesignate spaces as compact. A good many people drive larger cars or trucks. Are they not good citizens/customers too? I view them as another BS attempt by the political left to get us all to drive small cars. It is an attempt to manipulate people. I say BS to the whole thing and just take 2 of the puny spaces. You guys might want to rethink this a bit. All the best...