close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Don't laugh guys . . .feel kind of silly for asking.

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by tbird911, Feb 11, 2010.

1. tbird911

tbird911

Sep 10, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I know that glocks are shtf guns, tough as nails, meant to be used etc . . . .

That being said, I have a new G26 that had aftermarket front and rear sights installed on it. I am adding some Warren Tactical sights and when I removed the current front sight, it looks like the guy that put them on may have used a little too much loctite 242 on the screw that held the sight in place. After removing the sight, it appears that a little of the loctite seeped underneath the front sight base. I managed to use a cleaning cloth and some elbow grease to remove all but the faintest of residue, but I can still see some darker coloration where the loctite was. By now you guys are probably wondering why the heck I'm even asking . . . for some reason (I admit that I'm overly picky), it bothers me. I tried heating the area a little with a blow dryer and rubbing it out, but no luck. Is there anything that you can think of (Hoppes, acetone etc.) that will really get rid of the residue without harming the finish of the slide?

Thanks in advance,

Tbird911 (obsessive, picky and honest) :)

2. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Lovin Sparks Nv!
    Now I feel really foolish for asking... but...

Will the new site cover this *blemish* when you get it installed? If so... How picky do you want to be?!?!? (grin)

3. pangloss9

pangloss9

Mar 2, 2009
    middle TN
    Perhaps you should try a Magic Eraser. Be advised that I have absolutely no idea if this will work or if it will leave scratches on your slide. For all I know, you could end up worse off than you are now. I have never ever used a Magic Eraser on a gun, but it's the first thing that came to mind when I read your post.

4. tbird911

tbird911

Sep 10, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Its so funny . . . something so small, nearly invisible and insignificant can bother a guy . . .I have a couple of friends that are like that about knives . . .LOL

It's likely that the new sights will "almost" cover it :)

5. boyscoutG36

boyscoutG36 Armorer

Apr 29, 2003
    Colorful Colorado
    Acetone removes all types of loctite, rub it with a Qtip and hopefully that does it.