close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

DOGS, The AR's that I should not even consider

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by akapennypincher, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG Milspectacular

Aug 28, 2006
    Not Los Angeles.
    Shooting suppressed is a big one. Nothing is more satisfying after a day of shooting suppressed than to wipe down a chrome bolt with a paper towel, relube and put it back together. No soaking, scrubbing or scraping needed.

2. btaylor

btaylor

Nov 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I bought a CMMG that was at a price i could not resist. All was fine until I tried to change front standard from sight to a gas block with rails. They have some sort of proprietary pin setup that kept the gas block from mounting up solid and it developed a leak causing FTE jams. The local shop had to order new sight pins from CMMG to get it put back in stock form. No more problems in stock form. I don't think there are any other parts that don't interchange. So; good rifle at an affordable price just don't mess with the stock gas setup on the front end.

3. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG Milspectacular

Aug 28, 2006
    Not Los Angeles.
    I never said he did. One definition of "can" is -be logically or axiologically able to. I swear, if your cognitive skills were as strong as your arrogance...

As far as your other comment and question, reread my post you quoted and adjust your cognition until you get an answer.

4. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Negative.

It's like saying I've only seen two Honda Accords in operation on the road and both broke down right in front of me, therefore I am not personally willing to spend my money on a Honda Accord at this point in time, nor am I comfortable telling other people to spend their money on a Honda Accord at this point in time.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  5. CigarandScotch

CigarandScotch Fartacus

Sep 22, 2011
    Naw Cackalacky
    Just an addendum to my previous post, since I agree that there are lots of folks out there with cheaper ARs that don't shoot them and post too much propaganda about theirs: I shoot mine as much as I can afford to. Sometimes that's 500 rounds a month, sometimes it's not. I would estimate my round count in the neighborhood of 8-9000, conservatively. I know that's not a whole lot, but so far mine is GTG. Your mileage may vary, and I would rather have a Colt or another top tier weapon, but it's the one I got.

6. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    exactly.... I have run a few of the lower end AR's through classes & thousands of rounds with hard hits & no cleaning & they were 100%. Same can be said from my BCM, spikes, & CMMG. The only problem I had was ironically with a 6920 where it would jam on the feed ramp after it got hot.
    Also you have to understand how these work. You can buy a BCM, colt, DD, spikes etc, BCG & solve 90% of any potential problems a lower end AR may have. You can replace buffers going up & down in weight to correct over/under gas systems, you can replace barrels with CL 1:7 MPI tested ones, you can stake your castle yourself in all of 1 minute.....The point is a lower end AR doesn't have to stay a lower end AR if you buy one.

7. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    Friend of mine is a guard at one of the Tenn nuke plants. They are not issued colts. I asked him & he said he wasn't sure if he could tell me but said not colt & are F/A. They also are issued sig 9mm's for pistols.

8. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    Those security contracts do not specify which make, simply functional characteristics. The contracts go to the lowest bidder who meets the specifications of the contract. I find it laughable when some mall ninja gives internet advice to the effect that "those are hobby grade rifles that should not be relied upon for serious purposes". There are not many purposes more serious than securing nuclear power plants and guarding nuclear weapons being transported within the US.

9. CigarandScotch

CigarandScotch Fartacus

Sep 22, 2011
    Naw Cackalacky
    Good post.

10. John Biltz

John Biltz

Jul 27, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Very true. In every armsroom in the Army there are broken M4s or M16s. I'd guess the average is probably around 5 per company. Call that around 4% of them. Although I will say if something can be broke a soldier will manage to break one. I bent a barrel once my own self. Bad landing on a parachute jump.

11. Chuck TX

Chuck TX CLM

Jul 11, 2003
    Republic of Texas
    Big whoop. DPS uses Bushmaster, doesn't increase the quality or lack of.

Many of us own and have owned And base our experience off of that. Not what the DOE chose. Who uses what based on the lowest bid is irrelevant.

12. Chuck TX

Chuck TX CLM

Jul 11, 2003
    Republic of Texas
    So for folks to be hung up on "Colt, it's mil spec, military and XYZ use them." Is ninja?

But your basis for defending DPMS is some nuke plants are guarded by them? :dunno:

13. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Jul 22, 2011
    NE Oklahoma

This is just an honest question, and not an attempt at confrontation, and since neither of us has an emotional investment in this, Im hoping we can have a short discussion with logic, well-articulated arguments, and respect for one another...Im curious what has soured you towards Spike's? I just recently bought my first AR/M4 or whatever you wanna call it, a Spike's Tactical Elite 16" Middy with NiBX BCG and CHF CL barrel. I did my research and settled on this model. Over on M4carbine.net if you dont have a Colt, DD, or BCM you are just a plain ol' jackass, so as knowledgeable as most guys are there, I took anything I read there regarding Spike's with a grain of salt, since they showed particular bias towards BCM.
    Overall I was happy with what I learned about Spike's and obviously went with them. The NiBX BCG kinda put me over the top because I have a Glock 27 with a NiBX coated barrel and upper, and Im very fond of how easy it is to clean.
    Ive been very happy with my gun so far, but I've only put around 300 trouble-free rounds through it thus far, so it is by no means considered reliable yet in my mind. Also, while researching which M4 I wanted, most information I came across regarding people's thoughts on Spike's build quality was that they paid special attention to detail and the small stuff...
    I'd just like to hear you expound on your opinion of Spike's rifles, not to start a debate, but because Im genuinely interested in learning about any potential issues I may or may not have with my gun, and if your experience with them would apply to my gun...Thanks!

14. Matthew Courtney

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    Can you cite where I have posted anything degrading Colt rifles, mil specs, or any organization, agency, or individual because they use Colt or mil spec rifles?

You cannot cite it because I have not posted anything of the sort. Quit making stuff up.

15. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    Can't speak for him, but the AR world has always been flavor of the month.
    Years ago, Bushmaster was it, then shortly after that CMMG, then LMT, then BCM, now it's spikes. Each ones gets ragged on after another flavor comes out. Just how it is.

16. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    :rofl:

17. Chuck TX

Chuck TX CLM

Jul 11, 2003
    Republic of Texas
    Try again, it's there.

You degraded people with experience based standards.

18. Matthew Courtney

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    I did no such thing. You are a liar. List the names of the people I supposedly degraded and the number of the post in which I allegedly degraded them.

19. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Aw sheet main

Feb 28, 2003
    Finally made 1000 posts
    Then you certainly wouldn't want to drive an Accord through N Dallas.

20. MarkCO

MarkCO Millennium Member CLM

Dec 21, 1998
    Colorado
    I said "avoid" not "wrong".

Some chromed BCGs end up being a tad tight. You are running a hard (steel) carrier in a softer (aluminum) receiver. There is just no need for it. In some cases, you can end up with increases receiver wear. Granted, several thousand rounds, which most people will never shoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.