close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

DOGS, The AR's that I should not even consider

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by akapennypincher, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartacus100

Spartacus100

Oct 14, 2011
    Allen TX

Where would you put a Windham? I would put it equal to PSA or S&W...

2. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

Jan 29, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    :agree:

+3

3. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    If I were to put Windham in that post they would go at the bottom, under S&W, or between PSA and S&W.

I tried to limit my post to listing/ranking brands that probably wouldn't get much disagreement. That's why I didn't list Del-Ton under brands I would not own or Windham under brands I would own, for example. And it's why I didn't list Sig, and some others.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  4. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    Well gee I guess I don't fit the mold. My first AR civilian wise was a Colt Match HBAR 20" A2. Good rifle, heavy, accurate . Number 2 was a 16" Carbine A2 DPMS HBAR upper on a AT lower. Lighter then , Colt accurate, 100 % fiunction ,Zero problems. Shot it more then the Colt, wife liked it, so the Colt went down the road. Number 3 PSA StrikeFire Carbine M4ery complete rifle . Totally happy with it, Light, accurate totally 100% reliable. Wife trying to make it hers-not happening. Number 4 CMMG 300 Blk Upper on Spikes Lower I built. I love .30 Caliber, accurate , more punch for hunting, more punch for HD/SD, did I say I love .30 caliber. Bottom line your money buy what you want, 99 % chance you'll be happy and it will do exactly what you want it to do and it will not matter who's name is on it!:supergrin: Just understand BRD is expensive ! Your wallet will be alot lighter.

5. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    These AR threads are like minefields. I'm working on my counter-IED strategies. :)

6. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Jul 22, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    I recommend buying a brand that is known to build their rifles to mil-spec. That way you know they at least built it to a certain quality. I went with Spike's Tactical 16" CHF enhanced upper w/NiBX BCG. I havent regretted it. Other makers that are known to build mil-spec are: Colt, Daniel Defense, BCM, LMT, and a few others I cant think of right now.

7. CigarandScotch

CigarandScotch Fartacus

Sep 22, 2011
    Naw Cackalacky
    People love to hate on DPMS, but mine runs great. Maybe I got lucky. Mind you, I did buy it before I knew anything about AR rifles, and I think the above advice has been good. Since I have heard mixed reviews of DPMS, Bushmaster, Armalite, Olympic, etc... given the choice to do over, I would probably pick a brand with a more "spotless" reputation.

8. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG Milspectacular

Aug 28, 2006
    Not Los Angeles.
    Not disagreeing with you...
    I put more faith in a man that can take an "unapproved" brand AR15 and make it run over any "so called expert's" opinion any day. My reason is, ACTUAL experts like Pat Rogers document failures that occur in his training classes. He can recommend brands that have a less chance of failure based on first hand experience and a very large sample size. More "so called experts" that frequent gun forums usually have the opposite.

In all seriousness, who is more credible? One man who can PMCS a DPMS and keep it running, or some internet commando that posts BCM/Colt/LMT/DD/KAC on every thread but if his BCM/Colt/LMT/DD/KAC fails, tap/rack/bang is the pinnacle of his knowledge base?

But then again, I put the responsibility of proper operation of my gear on myself, not the manufacturer.

9. Brian Brazier

Brian Brazier

Jan 20, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    for all the DS Haters here is Larry Vickers testing one
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca5CfZS6E1s"]Tactical Arms - The M4 (Part 1 of 2) - YouTube[/ame]
    [​IMG]

10. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    Not true. ARs are not created equaly. Build materials are the most noticable difference. Then you have QC and quality of assembly.

Work is a broad term. Work for one may not work for another.

Not knowing you can have quality w/o the "High Dollar" price tag shows, in your words, "newb" status.

Uninformed consumers drive the market. Compare the amount of people w/ ARs sitting in the safe who get out three times a year to the number of guys who are out once or twice a week. The number of ARs sold has no relation to quality. Uninformed consumers who rarely shoot then jump on forums and talk about how their DPMS is 100%.

What maker does Pat Rogers recommend and back?

How about an AR that just simply runs w/o the need for extra care. I'd rather spend my time shooting than maintaining.

Are you recommending people purchase non functional ARs so tap, rack, bang isn't the extent of their knowledge?

11. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    It sure is. That guy I referenced earlier was very happy with his DPMS, and was sure it was the ammo (Federal Lake City XM855) that was faulty, not his rifle. Nevermind the fact that my rifle, and lots and lots of other quality rifles, shoot that ammo without the problems he has...or that I took the "bad" ammo from him and it worked in my rifle

But there isn't a sexy mil-spec for a hammer spring, so people think it is impossible one manufacturer's hammer springs are better made, better installed, or better suited for the job than another manufacturer's. But something has to account for his rifle's failures.

Not that he considers them to be his rifle's failures. They sure seem to be, for me, but it's easier for him to shift the blame elsewhere.

12. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    Exactly. Low end ARs work fine for folks who just like the idea of having a AR in their safe, but rarely shoot it, if ever. There is ALOT of these types of gun owners.

13. MarkCO

MarkCO Millennium Member CLM

Dec 21, 1998
    Colorado
    The original owners lost their FFL due to violations of the law. Mostly unrelated to the actual production of their products. The machinery and patents were bought by a new company, price went up ($180 stripped, $270 complete), and are now available again. NO feedback on new company quality, but the lowers are off the same machinery with the same processes. http://www.gwacsarmory.com/cav-15-mkii.html

That said, the polymer lowers made by other companies, I would toss into the No-Go pile. ARs based on those lowers are the only ones I would consider "Dogs." There are certainly some ARs that are less desireable for various functions/needs as one goes up and down the price-line.

The few ARs out there that take aberant mags and or have proprietary components, I would also not consider for a "first" or "must-work" AR. Thankfully, the Piston ARs shine is wearing off and DI systems are back in vogue. While I have seen a few people recomend Spike's, I have seen some of their products that underscore a basic lack of understanding of the AR platform, so they would not be on my list. I'd be wary of newer Bushmaster's and I would not consider an Olympic.

From what I have seen, I would have no issues with DPMS, Double-Star, DD, BCM, LMT, Stag or S&W. Personally, I think LaRue and Colt are WAY over-hyped and, while quality, there are equal or better ARs for less coin. If you want to spend a bit more, Noveske is near the top of the list and an excellent product.

I've owned Colt, Armalite, Bushmaster, Firebird, JP, Noveske and others. Most of those are gone. IMO, you can get a better quality rifle with careful planning and cherry-picking parts that will serve your needs better, educate you on the operation, and cost less money, by building it yourself.

In 3Gun, we are seeing of lot of new shooters who have some sort of M4gery come out to play. As a result, we are seeing a LOT more failures: case head separations, failure to eject, extract, chamber, etc. and most of these are related to operator error in terms of maintenance. Guys takle a new rifle and go shoot 200 rounds and now you have failures. The crap some manufacturers coat their parts with gets almost like tar. But also, when you see "sponsored" shooters running factory guns that have multiple malfunctions over several matches, you start to say...that stuff don't work.

In any basic "must-work" AR, I'd avoid adjustable gas, Chromed BCGs, cheap sights, trigger jobs on mil-spec parts. Other than that, the BCG is probably the most important assembly to NOT skimp on.

Last point for the DPMS bashers...realize that a LOT of the small parts in other brands ARE DPMS parts. Also, the receivers and barrels come from a small number of factories and are branded for several "manufacturers."

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  14. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    Whats wrong with Chromed BCGs? I've got a Daniel Defense chrome BCG in my newest build and can't possibly see anything wrong with it.

15. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    If I were to want a piston driven gun, then I wouldn't be picking up an AR of some sort in the place. I've always thought that piston AR deal was silly. You take a gun that wasn't designed for a type of mechanism, then try to half-assed engineer a mechanism in to replace the original design.

16. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Warp,

I'm not going to deny that ARs have malfunctions. What I am going to tell you is that I have seen EVERY malfunction you can find in ANY AR thread on the internet on an M16 Rifle Range in the US Army with Colt and FN rifles.

That malfunction you described above is probably a case rim over the top of the bolt jam and while rare--I've seen it happen in the military. Its a beotch to clear for sure. But it happens even with fully functional MILSPEC issued rifles...

Anecdotal observations like yours are interesting. But they prove nothing. Its like saying you were driving home today and saw a Honda Accord broken down on the side of the road and therefore concluding the Honda Accord is an unreliable piece of junk!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  17. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    The DMPS built rifles are GTG, if not made of the most durable materials available. The DPMS kit rifles built by guys who read about how cheap and easy they are to build tend to be an absolute crap shoot. I guess a lot of guys didn't want to buy $300 in tools to save $150 dollars on a rifle when they already had a set of vise grips, a hammer, and a friend who would help out for a six pack.

18. Matthew Courtney

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    The most prevalent rifles in the hands of the DOE guards defending places like the Riverbend Nuclear Power Plant and The Strategic Petroleum Reserve are DPMS. Bushmaster has a lot of their rifles being used as well.

19. Matthew Courtney

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    There is nothing wrong with chrome a BCG, as long as you do not fall for the "self lubricating" nonsense. The friction coefficient is lower, but there are still advantages to running them wet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.