close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dog started peeing everywhere?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JW1178, Aug 19, 2012.

1. JW1178

JW1178

My 4 year old black lab mix just started peeing and crapping all over the house. She had a flea allergy, and I got her on some good flea medicine which is working, but while it was kicking in they gave me some steroid pills to fight the allergy. They warned me she would eat and drink a lot more and might act a bit wierd while on them. She started peeing in the house, no warning, not peeing when I let her out, she would come in and pee. I scolded her but nothing too harsh because she was on meds. Now she is off the meds a week ago. Woke up in the AM with a pile of dog crap in one of the bed rooms. Put her outside all day. She came in to eat, went right upstairs and peed, no warning. She didn't try to let me know like she used to know. What gets me is she won't pee outside, she want to come in and pee, then she does and I know because she starts this huckering down thing she does when she's in trouble. I just put her in her crate.

I'm wondering if there is anything I should know to fix this. I am so close to just taking her to the pound. One thing I will not tollerate is an animal pissing all over my house when they know it's wrong. My house stinks right now, and I have to get the extractor machine and a gallon of nature's merical. I've been having some financial trouble and getting rid of her would be a big strain off my shoulder even though I love her a lot, but I just will not tollerate anyone to piss all over where I live. It's so discusting.

What do I do? Right now I'm so pissed that if the pound was open right now I would drive her down there and drop her off.

2. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

Pee back.

-or-

Lock it outside.

3. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

Is she squatting like normal to pee or does look like she's not in control of her bladder?

4. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

Please remember that dogs have personalities, but they are still amoral beings. Your dog is not purposely giving you a hard time.

I don't know the answer to your problem, but drugs cause all kinds of problems that many just don't want to acknowledge. There are after effects, even though doctors will play them down or not acknowledge them at all. You might have solved one problem, but opened up another. That does not help you solve your problem, but again, your dog is just a dog. Hope it works out for you.

5. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I have enough to drink and I start peeing everywhere too!

6. JW1178

JW1178

Haven't seen her do it but it appears by the single spot pattern she's squatting.

Yeah, you are right. I'm going to try to work on this. I'd hate her to be put down at the pound for something she can't help. She's going to spend some time in the crate. She hates it but that's tough.

7. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

Take her to the vet, and probably a different one. She may have something physical causing this. We had a cat that used to do this. Turned out he had a bad bladder infection.

8. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

I really hope it's just temporary. You probably know that dogs will lose control when they get excited. I once walked this person's dog that was crated. I would enter the house and the dog would start whizzing as I approached the cage. She was that excited to get out. If your dog urinates that way in the crate, it might not have anything to do with why she's seemingly losing control now.

Good luck to you.

9. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

You've had a dog for 4 years and you're already considering taking her to the pound over some piss & ****?

There is no advice I have that can help you.

10. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Why would let your dog get flea's with all the options for flea control that are out there?

11. Winds-of-change

Winds-of-change

Fleas sometimes give dogs tapeworms. Dog with worms often have bladder and bowel issues. Make sure your dog is worm free.

Keep the dog crated when you can't watch him. Let him outside and when he potties, praise him, give him a small treat and let him back in the house.

Also, ask your vet for some advice. They know animals psychology as well as their physical well being.

12. Kamo

Kamo

I agree with this advice 100%. You should have blood work done (complete) to rule out internal parasites. Is the dog on monthly preventatives for them? If not, he should be as it could save his life. Any kind of worm is a slow death for an animal.

Please take her to a different vet. The one you took him to doesn't sound very competent. I would also suggest walking him instead of just opening the door and letting him out. He could use the exercise and it will definitely help you with the problem you're having.

On a side note, after 4 years together I'd think there'd be more of a bond going on there. You seem kind of anxious to get rid of this pup. That says alot imo. Maybe you could adopt him out instead of putting him down.

13. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

[​IMG]

Get a doghouse and the dog won't be taking a crap in the house.

14. jr05

jr05

Based on your reaction, especially your last sentence, I would have to say the dog may be much better off in another house anyway...maybe the pound isn't the worst option.

For the good of the dog, I would suggest you find a friend that would appreciate the dog and take care of it, then give it to them.

If you do not have a friend that would like the dog, go to your vet and ask if they know anybody that is looking or if they offer any adoption services.

15. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

It seems the only evidence you have is circumstantial. If you have not seen the dog do it, you can't prove it is her. Perhaps another dog is trying to frame her.

Anyway, assuming it was never a problem before and now it is, there is likely a medical issue causing it. Take her to the vet.

16. Hummerbike

Hummerbike

If she's still on the flea medicine take her off right away. Some dogs cannot tolerate it. It can cause excess saliva and similar problems to what you're experiencing. If that's what causing it she should be fine within 48 hours.

17. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

not sure but when my dogs came down with kennel cough they had to take steroids..
    they drank so much water that they had a problem like yours till they finished the meds..
    :whistling:

18. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

Mine did something similiar this spring, he got fleas for the first and had an allergy. Took him to the vet and got him some meds and then he pooped in the house three times. He hasn't done that since he was a very little puppy. I think it's the meds

19. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

Few months ago saw a article on the web about some canine meds causing neurological damage. Your pets symptoms sound like that kind of problem. Strongly urge you to do a web search for side effects to the meds your dog is on.

I think Hartz Mountain was the biggest problem brand, not sure on that, other brands were involved. The manufacturers are aware of it, but only a few unlucky get the damage which is sometimes permanent.

Hope you get a good outcome soon.

20. muscogee

muscogee

double post Ignore

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012