close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dog is scared of the back yard?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by vr4 case, Jun 14, 2012.

1. vr4 case

vr4 case

Wondering if any of the dog experts might be able to help as I've never had a dog. I will try to make this short

I started dating a girl and she started bringing her dog (Toy Fox Terrier) over. At first he loved my big yard (maybe 80' x 40'). But after a month of so, he started sneaking out of the fence (either to the front yard or neighbors) to go to the bathroom. So I fixed the fence so he couldnt get out.

We thought that maybe he just didnt like constantlly pooping in "his area". Slowly he stopped even walking in the grass, first it was he would do his business and come back, now when i let him in the back, he just sits on the patio until I let him back in. And he found a spot in the house that he likes to go to the bathroom repeatedly, he's never had a problem being house broken at my girlfriend's apt.

So now I have to take him on at least 2 walks a day so he doesnt go inside the house. Today I put on his leash and took him in the backyard and refused to walk in the grass. I picked him up and put him in the middle of the yard and he just stood there until I dragged him enough and he ran back to the patio.

He gets TONS of attention, goes to the park at least twice a week, etc. Any thoughts on why he's scared of the yard now. The only thing I can think of is that he's come down with fleas bad so maybe there is an infestation back there?

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Have you ever seen The Exorcist? You might need a priest.

3. Cmacc

Cmacc

4. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Do you keep the yard picked up? (of his poop)

Do you play with him in the yard? Spend time with him in the yard?

Do the neighbors have big dogs or obnoxious kids?

It sounds like he has decided the yard is punishment. Make it fun for him, play with him there and spend time out with him.

Make sure he has fresh water available and shelter if it's hot.

He liked it initially so something has changed. Find it and fix it and he'll probably like it again.

5. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Adjuster

Adjuster

Grass too tall?

/

7. Never Nervous

Never Nervous

8. moishlashen

moishlashen Senile Member

That's what I'm thinking. Whatever he likes to do-eat his food, play with ball, chew on a rawhide etc do it with him in the back yard.

9. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

THIS^^^^^

CAREFULLY move every item in the yard. Check for them.

10. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

He may have been stung be a bee or other insect in the grass. As others have said, you need to spend a lot of time doing pleasant things in the yard with him.

Try going out in the back yard and having a picnic with your girlfriend. Leave the dog on the porch is that is where he wants to be. Two people sitting on a blanket in the yard and eating would be irresistible to most dogs.

If he does take care of his business in the yard, praise him profusely. Yes, you'll feel silly doing it, but if he stops going the house, it's worth it!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  11. jeager

jeager

Fertilizer?
    Did the sprinklers come - on and startle him?

12. vr4 case

vr4 case

I have lived here for 5 years and havent seen any snakes, but there is a big hole that goes down about 18 inches of loose soil. Whats weird is that he will stand at the back door and then run outside as soon as I open it, but then he just turns around and waits to be let back in.

I keep the yard mowed pretty low because he is so little I thought that might be the problem (and a couple times he wouldnt mind going out RIGHT after I mowed). But when I take him on walks, he has no problem walking through grass that is almost as tall as he is.

I assume something out there has scared him (snake, wasp, fleas, not sure) but I will try to go out there with him. Its just tough because he isnt really a playful type dog, he comes and jumps all over us when we get home but then he just kinda does his own thing, doesnt like chew toys and cant play fetch. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

13. vr4 case

vr4 case

And I will see if any priests are free for an exorcism anytime soon, ha.

14. jpa

jpa CLM

Have some cut up hot dogs or some kind of treat with you in your pocket in a baggie. Take him out in the yard. Put him in the grass or wherever you want him to go to the bathroom. Have a seat outside with him and wait for him to go to the bathroom in the right spot. When he does, jump up, give him gushy praise ("Oh that's a good boy! Yes you are! Good doggie! Yes! Good boy!") and feed him the hot dog. Eventually he'll associate going potty in the grass with hot dogs. As he gets used to going in the grass, give him verbal praise every time but give him a treat every other time. Then every 3 times until you don't give him treats at all but he still associates the grass with praise.

15. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Silly dog is scared of the kitty. :rofl:

[​IMG]

16. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

17. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Beat me to it, I was thinking the same thing.

We have a small dog that got stung by bee we're pretty sure (yip from him and then scooted away from that area with a limp for an hour or so). We think he even saw it fly away, as for a few years he had a phobia of any little bug he saw flying around... even a fly in the house. He's pretty much gotten away from *that* though.

But I don't recall him being afraid to go outside, of course we live on 5.5 acres and don't have a fenced in back yard. Perhaps he avoided "that area" or something, but we might have seen different behavior if it was a fenced in backyard.

For awhile, you're going to have to go outside with him, maybe treats. But as someone else said, I think he's thinking he's being punished. He knows you're inside and he's outside.

I hope you get it figured out. Our two little dogs are the light of our life, and we love it that they seem happy, content, and well adjusted.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  18. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

Any ants in the backyard? They'll make you come inside pretty quick, especially if they get all over you and start biting.

19. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Just put the little wussy in the back yard, lock the door, and leave him there for a couple of days. He will adapt or die. Good new either way.

20. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

Any Eagles perched in nearby trees waiting for an easy meal? They get a ton of little dogs here every year. Sometimes they snatch them right away from unsuspecting tourists.
    Locals here only keep overly large slobbering mutts of questionable breed. Always claim they are at least 1/2 wolf, and have names like Brutus, Thor, Killer, and Chopper. The eagles usually leave those ones alone.