Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Does your State-Agency authorize extra employment

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by madecov, Aug 3, 2011.

  1. madecov

    madecov book em' Danno

    Here in Texas we are allowed to work what we cal "extra jobs". Effectivly we are hired as contractors to enforce state and local law.
    In Houston there is no shortage of work. I typically do a 5.5 hour shift before I go to work at a bank on Qednesday morning Two days a week I work a very high end jewlery store a few hours and on Sunday morning I handle traffic control at a church.
    Occasionaly I do what we call a road job where lights are required in your private vehicle. Almost all of these jobs are paid as a private contractor and we receive a 1099 for tax purposes.
    My agency does not allow for bars or clubs. We also are restricted to working within the taxing authority of the transportation authority. All side jobs are subject to approval.

    Pay scale can vary but the average going rate is running $30.00 hr
    I have worked a few jobs that paid $40.00 or more but usually it's $30.00

    Curious what other States and municipalities allow.
  2. spyd3r05


    Jul 25, 2008
    I know most in central Ga do allow these jobs, except a few except a few things like inside a bar, etc..

  3. Extra jobs are pretty common around here as well. I know lots of small town cops will work for a couple of different municipalities. With my last department, construction details were pretty common. (sitting on the side of the road in a construction zone with lights going) Copper theft is enough of a problem that the power company sometimes pays guys to guard their substations.
  4. DaBigBR

    DaBigBR No Infidels!

    Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Our department would allow it, but there is not a lot of that work out there. Most places that have it our very temporary (covering a high school football game, wedding reception where liquor is served, town festival, etc) and those jobs are usually hired out to the county's reserve unit as they have the cheapest and best organized system.

    The largest metro area in the state (not large to a lot of you, though) has a much more organized and better paying off duty employment system where all off duty work is paid to the department, which takes a small cut and then pays the officer a fixed rate (a few years ago I think it was $35/hour or something like that). Most of those gigs are working at gas stations, stores, etc from what I have heard.

    My department DOES allow an officer to work at another job, LE (different agency) or otherwise.
  5. CAcop


    Jul 21, 2002
    The way it works around here is that if a business wants or needs an officer they go to city hall first, then the PD signs off on it, then it goes up on the roll call board and it is first come first served. It is mostly for traffic control stuff, like races or major construction. Major construction is like the time they used a helicopter to put an AC unit on the local movie house downtown.
  6. merlynusn


    Nov 16, 2007
    Yes we have it. We call it "off duty" or officially "secondary employment." It is the same thing as what you were saying. All secondary employment goes through the department in that the business has to be approved and the job approved. Officers have to get a work permit to work secondary employment as a leo.

    We aren't allowed to work inside a bar, but can work the parking lot, etc. They are changing the way it works here as the department is trying to take it over. Currently each job has a coordinator who fills the slots. Most jobs are permanent, like working the bank, etc. Some jobs are just temporary like working races and the like.

    The standard pay rate is $27 an hour for security and $29 an hour for traffic. Most of the banks pay $30 an hour and some jobs can go up to $45 an hour. But the vast majority are for $27 or $29.
  7. BailRecoveryAgent

    BailRecoveryAgent Rude Member

    Aug 2, 2010
    Do they limit the amount of off duty hours you can work in a week? My BIL has a pretty good paying side job but his department limits him to 10 hrs a pay period.
  8. CAcop


    Jul 21, 2002
    Ours limits off duty employment to 20 hours a week regardless of the work. You need a letter approving it if it has no involvement with the city. If it is an OT gig then no letter is needed. Outside employment restrictions are mostly no security work in county and no alcohol establishments. Although nudie bars around here have to be alcohol free and I would expect them to turn you down. Even volunteer work needs a letter. One of our guys got in trouble for coaching a HS football team without a letter.
  9. msu_grad_121

    msu_grad_121 BOOSH

    Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    That blows me away, really. The only thing I can relate to here in MI is working 2 part time cop gigs at the same time. I actually know a girl that does that, but they're both small towns, and don't pay for crap.

    I don't know of any specific statute or MCOLES rule forbidding working P/T as a cop when you already work F/T at another department, but I also don't know a dept in the state that would allow it, for liability reasons.

    As far as special attention details and the like, most of the time the place pays the city and the city calls in people for OT. Any other way and the union loses their mind. We don't have cops working at banks or things as LEOs, but I know tons that have side jobs as security.
  10. madecov

    madecov book em' Danno

    Our department does limit the hours worked to 20 per week. We can use comp or vacation to work an extra job.
    We are required to wear full department issued uniform. No bars or clubs. All jobs are to be approved by captain.
  11. ateamer

    ateamer NRA4EVR

    Our only pay job is at the fairgrounds for special events. The way it works is that the deputies who work the detail are paid overtime, and the department is reimbursed by the fairgrounds (and they figure the cost into the rental fee for the facilities).

    We are allowed to have outside employment, subject to the Sheriff's approval. We are not allowed to work as private investigators or security guards. Not many guys have second jobs, but there are some interesting ones. One guy is a corporate jet pilot, a couple are building/home repair contractors, a couple Cro$$fit trainers and a CJ instructor at the local community college.

    Edit: We're also not allowed to work in, or have an ownership interest in, any business that has a liquor license. I don't think it would pertain to a restaurant or club hiring deputies via the department as outlined above, but it's never been proposed.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  12. volsbear

    volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

    Nov 8, 2007
    My department has a POLICY that requires employees to request approval from management to work any "secondary employment." They basically say no to everything unless you want to work for $8/hour in retail. It's sad, too, because in the past our sheriff's office has had unarmed details that still paid $20-30 per hour that they can't fill due to lack of interest, but that many people might take advantage of.

    Our union has been trying for years to get their policy plugged into our collective bargaining agreement so that their decisions would be subject to grievance. Middle management has acknowledged that the policy violates individual rights, but upper management won't budge. That's why it won't be allowed in a contract. In Illinois, an arbitor would rule against the boss in a heart beat.
  13. Hack

    Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

    We're allowed outside employment with conditions that it is not a conflict of interest with our position or whom we work for. Nothing in our actual career field, etcetera.


    Sep 29, 2005
    Most agencies around here allow Off Duty / Secondary Employment... My Department has tons of it. There is actually so much that there are even last minute scrambles to get a body for some jobs even if they are easy ones. We're allowed to work bars/clubs if we have completed training for liquor establishments. We also get all the traffic and contacted secuirity gigs too. Lowest price I've ever seen for Off Duty was $35/hr but most range $40-$60/hr with Holiday events paying double that. All of it has to be appoved by our secondary employment section and entered into our electronic system if it's in there you're good to go as long as a Sgt or Command Officer approve it in the system prior to working the job.

    The Secondary employment is probably the only thing we have going for us though. You can have 10+ years on the job in some Districts and still have not gotten Detective / Special Unit training. Without the training you can't even apply for an open position. So, I can make good OD money but will never make it to K9....
  15. acpd541


    Aug 11, 2004
    We call them "part-times" or paid details. My agency doesn't allow for bars/strip clubs, gaming establishments, and just recently, teen dance clubs. Rates can vary from 20.00 to 30.00 an hour or more if you can finagle it. Part-times are handled by the individual officer as far as finding them.

    The part-times I work now are on a W-2 so I don't have to worry about taxes. A few years ago, I worked a part-time twice a week(6 hours) for a year on a 1099 and got banged on taxes(self-employment tax on top of the regular state/federal taxes), so I only work on W-2's or cash anymore.
  16. shootindave


    Feb 15, 2007
    Yup. We can work as much as we want and there is basically limitless oppurtunities. Some make more in "Off Duty" work than on the job.
  17. boomhower


    Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    Anything law enforcement or security related has to be approved by the Chief and posted for anyone, first come first serve. Regular second jobs also have to be approved on a case by case basis but I've never heard anyone told no on anything that even approached being reasonable.
  18. Our dept. allows you to work approved jobs inside the city. We are not allowed to work as police/security/bodyguard/etc. outside our city. Any non L.E. job outside our city is ok as long as it doesn't interfere with normal duties.

    Our side jobs are generally $25-$30/hr. 1099.

    Most jobs are usually 3-5 hrs at most. It's not worth it for me in gas costs to drive in. I contract with DFAS to do computer work from home. Pay scale is whatever I can undercut the other guy trying to get the contract :crying: My current one is the lowest I've ever done ($62.25/hr, tuff bidding war)