close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Does your house have a basement?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by hammerkill, Mar 29, 2012.

1. hammerkill

hammerkill

Mar 1, 2012
    I've lived in some parts of the country where none of the houses had basements. Something about the soil.

2. HOTHEAD

HOTHEAD

Feb 21, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Yes,
    Being from the north, I have a hard time understanding how people do not have them. Especially in tornado country. Also, things like Heat and AC duct work??

I have roughly a 2000sf concrete room that is 8 feet high down there. Its dry, and clean, & we had a cedar closet and a full bath put in down there. I think the last time I was down there was to put away Christmas decorations, the next time will probably be to break out Halloween stuff.

3. mingaa

mingaa

Dec 3, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Yeah - built in 1938 it's not a modern place but plenty clean usable space for laundry, tools, projects, tons of organized storage etc.

4. Psychman

Psychman NRA Life Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Long Beach California.
    Yes, Fully finished. My man cave with guns, reloading room, home theater room, exercise room, full bathroom etc.

5. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    cogan station, pa, usa
    Our basement is 26'x55'....could not live without it! Water run-off and groundwater levels (elevation & drainage) determine if you'll have a dry basement. We live on a mountain so water drains away from our home. My business, gun room, TV room, second bath, laundry room and storage are all down there. I would need a second floor if I had no basement, Mike.

6. silentpoet

silentpoet

Jan 11, 2007
    This Old Caddy
    The caddy that is my avatar is down there right now. Actually I probably sleep over the engine.

7. I live in my basement,,sort of like, it is a Earth Contact.

8. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

Feb 2, 2005
    State of Denial
    I'm in Mississippi, where there are almost no basements. "Mississippi mud", "Yazoo clay", and the ridiculously high water table will make basement-builders regret their decision.

I've also lived in Northwest Arkansas, where people aren't going to invest in excavating the mountain rock to build a basement.

I've never actually seen a basement except on television shows and movies.

9. Couldn't live without my basement. When building a house, it's doubling your square footage for minimal (comparitively speaking) cost.

Also, it's cold here, and my wood stove in the basement stays lit for months at a time, and the warmth radiating up through the floors is much, much better than the furnace running and just blowing air out the vents.

During our 6 weeks of summer it's cooler down there too. :supergrin:

10. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE. Back to being a wage slave.

Oct 22, 2006
    Central Arizona
    It is a climate thing. Foundations have to reach below the frost line. If your ground never freezes then you can just pour a slab on the ground and call it good.

Houses up north require foundations so deep that you might as well put a basement in.

I grew up in Phoenix. No basements there.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  11. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

Where what I keep all my crap?
    Fully finished with a second (summer) kitchen, fireplace, laundry and a bathroom with a shower that 4'x6'!
    A guitar/music room
    A man room with all my guns, tube testing equipment and assorted stuff.
    6 rooms in all, 2 of which are 15'x 23' with one being an actual bomb shelter topper with a 6" slab o'concrete.

12. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    My basement has a basement.

A buddy of mine moved to Joe-Jah. No basement. He gets a "bonus room." I'll take my "bonus floor" instead. Dig, baby dig!

13. SGT278ACR

SGT278ACR Retired Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    16S DE 680 928
    I wish I had a basement. But, if I did I'd have to have an elevator for it also.

14. Very few houses here in AZ have basements. Some of the old ranch houses built at or before the turn of the century have good sized root cellars somewhere on the property.

15. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Apr 22, 2007
    Utah
    From my understanding the reason some houses don't have basements is because of the high water-table in the area.

I don't have to worry about that and our house does have a finished basement -- a huge one.

16. aircarver

aircarver Ride Continues Silver Member

Texas, most homes on slabs, the caliche rock in the soil is too expensive to dig through.

But not impossible, I incurred thousands of dollars of extra digging costs getting through caliche to put in a pool...

Builders won't routinely incur that expense, but you can get a basement in Texas if you want to pay for it.

I had a full basement in my NY home (Didn't take a bulldozer very long to put one in there....)
    I had a 50' shooting range in that basement, too .... I miss it ! ...:frown:

17. harleytech

harleytech

Feb 25, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I have an English Basement...(Half Basement) with a 1/2 bath,Gun Room, Family room,laundry room and storage and clothes closets...Its where I live ..!

18. bear62

bear62 Armed Bear

Feb 5, 2005
    Rocky Mountains
    I've owned three homes in Colorado (including the present one) and they all had/have basements. None of my Texas homes had basements.

19. Chaos

Chaos S.n.a.f.u.

Feb 27, 2002
    South Africa
    Very few homes here in SA have them....I haven't seen one.
    I would love one..not sure if I would make it my gunroom, an indoor shooting range, or both...
    *sigh*

Chaos

20. McJohnny

McJohnny The dude abides

Nov 20, 2008
    The Great White North
    Up here in the north I've not see many houses without a basement. Ours is finished & houses the home theater, rec room and my sons living quarters.