close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Does Your Ammo Have a Blackbelt

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by TSAX, Jan 28, 2013.

1. TSAX

TSAX
    Expand Collapse
    USAF Vet

The new Remington Golden Saber Black Belt ammo was announced at the 2013 SHOT Show.

The black band is suppose to prevent jacket separation which is a much demonized issue. In the theory espoused by many, if the jacket and bullet stay together, stopping power is increased.

www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2013/01/27/remington-golden-saber-black-belt-ammo-more-information/#more-16199

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2013/01/27/remington-golden-saber-black-belt-ammo-more-information/#more-16199

:50cal:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 TSAX, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. TSAX

TSAX
    Expand Collapse
    USAF Vet

"The Mechani-Lokt pulls the jacket into the lead core much like a tight corset would pull in a woman’s waist for a similar hourglass figure." :animlol:

[​IMG]

:50cal:

#2 TSAX, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  3. Joshhtn

Joshhtn
    Expand Collapse
    The eBay Guy
    Silver Member

Interesting.

4. fastbolt

fastbolt
    Expand Collapse

Interesting alternative to their "bonded" design, which is essentially where they pour flux into the brass cup before inserting the lead ingot, and then change the depth of the nose cavity to help "control" expansion.

If it allows for robust expansion (and peeled back jacket petals, for cutting action) while retaining jacket/lead core cohesion, they may have a rather neatly done next generation of BJHP.

It would also be nice if their flash signature was more consistent, and they could reduce the orange "burning ember" bits that can occur.

If the LE cost is as low as the state contract/bid pricing of their standard BJHP's has been in the past (at least here in CA), it ought to be rather affordable for duty/training/quals.

Have to wait & see, I suppose.

The Black Belt marketing idea might be a stroke of genius for market identification ... as long as each case doesn't come with a complimentary bottle of reproduction Hai Karate After Shave. (I sort of liked the Oriental Lime version, myself. :whistling: ) :rofl:

Hey, it was popular back then ...

#4 fastbolt, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  5. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

Remington introduced a repackaged Golden Saber a couple of years ago with a different name and priced $5 above their GS round. I'm guessing that ammo hasn't done well and Remington is back to their premium brand name ammo.

Something tells me the standard Golden Saber's reputation for core/jacket separation has gotten to HQ and now there's a new design for solving that problem. I suppose the company is going to keep the Golden Saber Bonded as is. It will be interesting to see how the standard Golden Saber compares to the new Black Belt in penetration and expansion; and also how both compare to the Golden Saber Bonded in those categories.

#5 unit1069, Jan 29, 2013
  6. Travelin' Jack

Travelin' Jack
    Expand Collapse
    Misinformed

Whether it works or not, it's good marketing.

7. TK-421

TK-421
    Expand Collapse

So the libs want to ban black rifles, will they want to ban black-belted ammo too? :whistling:

8. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26
    Expand Collapse

Isn't there a Chuck Norris endorsement on the back of the box?

9. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

So, in an amergency, you can defend yourself with TwoBlackBelts?:rofl:

Was this invented by a GT member?

Seriously, the band doesn't look like a great idea to me. I don't care so much about jacket separation as about the bullet biting into the rifling and expansion. That band doesn't look like it would contribute. Gimmick to sell ammo to net.shooters.

#9 Bren, Jan 29, 2013