close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Does religion forbid belief in possibile life elsewhere in the universe?

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by IndianaMatt, Apr 18, 2012.

1. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt
    Expand Collapse

It would seem like the discovery of intelligent life far out in the universe would be inapposite to the creation schemes of most religions - like that would undermine the idea of man's greatness and singularity as the image of god.

After all, only a few hundred years ago, the geocentric model, univerally accepted by Christianity at the time, held that the earth was the center of the universe and all that existed. We now know that that is about as far from the truth as can possibly be.

So how can Judeo/Christian/Islamic doctrine accept the possibility of intelligent, sentient, life dwelling on distant planets?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 IndianaMatt, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  2. Vic Hays

Vic Hays
    Expand Collapse

The universe is full of life. This is not in opposition to mans unique position as being created and recreated in the image of God.

The earth will become the headquarters of God because God became a man to save us.

Matthew 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Revelation 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
    21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

3. Celtic Pride

Celtic Pride
    Expand Collapse

Does the Bible profess the earth to be the center of the universe, or was it decided by men of the time? I think that point is important to consider.

#3 Celtic Pride, Apr 18, 2012
  4. John Rambo

John Rambo
    Expand Collapse
    Raven

I don't think the bible addressed the universe beyond Earth at all, because when it was written by people, the people who wrote it had no grasp of outer space. Please correct me if I'm wrong, of course, as long as twisting words isn't the mechanism used to correct me.

#4 John Rambo, Apr 18, 2012
  5. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt
    Expand Collapse

What's the difference?

6. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe
    Expand Collapse
    you savvy?

why would God wast his time making more people in his likeness on other planets if he already has us?

7. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt
    Expand Collapse

Lol, I guess that settles the question of life on other planets once and for all!

8. windplex

windplex
    Expand Collapse

deleted

#8 windplex, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
  9. Roering

Roering
    Expand Collapse
    Sorting nuts

I guess it depends on the religion. As for Christianity I see no conflict with it.

10. AlexHassin

AlexHassin
    Expand Collapse

From my understanding ( get a Muslim in hear to clear me up though)Islam would have a good explanation. If memoryserves correct there is a hadith(sp) the rules, for different critters, so whynot to extraterrestrials?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

More interestingly. If we did have contact would religion becausea reason to feel superior and as moral leader, akin to Vic&#8217;s reasoning. <o:p></o:p>

11. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt
    Expand Collapse

Christianity generally saw no problem with slavery, especially in the American South, so I don't see why it wouldn't characterize (in the eyes of some Christians, at least) alien races as similarly inferior.

12. Guss

Guss
    Expand Collapse

But what happens when the superior aliens land on our planet and command us to believe in THEIR gods and kill those who don't go along?

13. Guss

Guss
    Expand Collapse

Maybe we were just a beta version. He was obviously unhappy with his work here.

14. muscogee

muscogee
    Expand Collapse

At the time the Bible was written, people had no idea there were other planets. They thought planets they could see from Earth were stars. Heaven was above us. Hell was below. Where else would other life be?

15. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk
    Expand Collapse
    Isaiah 53:4-9

Incorrect. There is no place in scripture that supports the concept that hell is beneath your feet and constantly ignited at this very moment.

That is why I took the effort to put that silly myth to bed with the following link just recently:

http://www.helltruth.com/free-resou...ll-is-hellfire-real-does-it-burn-forever.aspx

16. muscogee

muscogee
    Expand Collapse

You're right. The Bible does not say where Heaven and Hell are. IIRC, the idea Heaven was above and Hell was below was Egyptian. However, the authors of the Bible didn't question it. That's why the myth survived.

Are you saying that the authors of the Bible knew the difference between planets, gas giants, and stars?

17. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk
    Expand Collapse

Actually, it has been explained in scripture. Which is why I posted the link in an OP, and placed it again here. I think part of the aversion toward God, is the misunderstanding of hell.

18. muscogee

muscogee
    Expand Collapse

Explain it. I don't have time for your videos.

19. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk
    Expand Collapse

They're not mine. I don't own them, appear in them, or make them.

That being said, the reader's digest abreviated version is as follows:

Hell does not currently exist. There are not people being tormented in hell at this moment.

Further, hell was designed for the fallen angels that brought temptation and sin to man and who caused war in heaven. It was never intended for mankind.

Hell is a complete destruction by fire, it is not a place of eternal doom where sinners are tormented by Satan and demons forever. This a pagan medieval concept, never supported by scripture.

The destruction by God is called a "strange act" He takes no pleasure in the destruction of the wicked.

The reason that evil must be completely destroyed and blotted out, is so that when the earth is made new as it once was, and everything is put right again, that there won't be a place of strife, of evil, of cruelty, of disease, of murder, of death. Death itself is destroyed.

That is what hell is. God is not a sadist.

20. Norske

Norske
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Well, Galileo got a sentence of "House Arrest for Life" by the Roman Catholic Church for raising the possibility that the Earth was not the center of the universe.

Simply because he had the gall to tell people that he saw, through his telescope, that moons were circling Jupiter and not the Earth.

:faint:

Heresy!

All of organized religion is just one case of organized idiocy, after another, after another, after another, now and forevermore, Amen.

#20 Norske, Apr 18, 2012