Does frangible ammo have penetration problems?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by gringogigante, May 6, 2013.

1. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

And a third hole in an innocent bystander or a loved one is

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I thought that was impressive as well. Maybe we should be looking at the volume of the wound channel as well as the depth.

3. I'd rather use FMJ ammo than frangible of any kind. JMO.
  4. RichardB

Silver Member

This form of ammo was introduced with much fanfare 20 or so years ago. It must have been used for real life SD problems, not lab gell situations, by now.

What is the track record on use of frangible ammo on live bad guys? What brand, how many shots, distance etc?

I would think that the ammo companies that make these cartridges would record and use the data to improve their products.
  5. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Beware. FMJ ammo is known to overpenetrate and go on to strike innocent bystanders - with the possible exception of .45 ACP 230gr FMJRN.
    #25 SCmasterblaster, May 20, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013
  6. Even .45 acp will easily go through a person.

And yes, I am aware of overpenetration with FMJ, but I don't care. You are more likely to miss and accidentally hit an innocent bystander than a passthrough. I would still rather risk it with FMJ than use crappy frangible. :wavey:
  7. Most frangible ammo is made by compressing powdered metals-copper and tin, are common. The density of the material is far short of lead, thus producing a "light" bullet. There are in fact some frangible bullets that have been mfg out of polymer and tungsten (1cc of tungsten is heavier than 1cc of gold), these rounds have amazing penetration into gel. By adjusting the "mixture" the mfgs are able to produce bullets with the same size and shape and weight as a conventional jacketed round. They are extremely deadly, the problem-they are also very-very expensive. If you ever get a chance to test some, or get a chance to see a test, you'll be surprised to say the least, I know I was.
    #27 pawprint2, May 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
  8. better odds at finding jimmy hoffa in a supermarket meat locker than happening. one in a million if that but, hey...check your backstop.:supergrin:
  9. RichardB

Silver Member

Did you ever write up what happened at the test you witnessed? I'm curious.
  10. Penetration under 12 inches is risking too much.
    Ammo companies love making money off of customers who believe in salesmanship BS. Just my 2 cents.:wavey:
    #30 Coffee Dog, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013