close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Does college GPA really even matter?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by arclight610, Jul 18, 2012.

1. arclight610

arclight610

So I have a 4.0 gpa in Manufacturing Engineering at the state university I attend. I'd say most of my peers are getting a 2.5-3.0. Am I working too hard? Anyone got any experience where your GPA got you a job or didn't get you a job?

ETA: This applies to jobs right out of college or within the first few years. Not like 20 years down the road.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  2. aplcr0331

aplcr0331 Compulsory Collectivisim

I have an average undergrad GPA and a high grad GPA. It does not make one bit of difference to lower/middle class people getting regular booger picking jobs. Not.One.Bit.

But...if you have a high GPA it matters, if you have a low GPA it does not matter.

[/THREAD]

3. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Are you a left handed, black, Spanish speaking, Jewish, female in a wheelchair? :)

4. devildog2067

devildog2067

Depends on what you want to do. For an engineer, yes, it does matter.

The consulting firm I work for hires roughly one out of a hundred undergraduate applicants, and the first pass filter is on GPA. It's not perfect--GPA isn't a great indicator of future success--but at the undergrad level, what else is there really?

5. Jon_R

Jon_R

GPA is just one of many differentiators. If I have two candidates that are otherwise equal the only difference is one has a 3.0 and one has a 4.0 is same or similar classes I take the 4.0. He works harder, is more organized, or has more natural ability to get the job done. I can't tell which at that point. It could be he just has the ability to decipher the game which is higher education and spend his time where it matters most in the game. Has a lot of appeal to.

If I had the same candidate and the one with the 3.0 worked full-time or more and got through with that 3.0 and the 4.0 never worked a day in his life doing anything I will take the 3.0 and not have a second thought. The 3.0 IMO is more likely to handle things that are hard, fluid, and has the ability to balance many things competing for attention. I may have to explain to the 4.0 that work schedules exist, you can't wear anything you want to work, and my meetings are not optional, etc..

It is just a piece of the equation. Working to hard? Maybe but would depend on what you would spend the saved effort on and what your goals are.

I graduated with an electrical engineering degree 3.2 GPA, worked full time + Army reserves + had 3 kids under 3 (twins) and a wife when I graduated. I was plenty proud of my 3.2. It would have been easy to quit school. I built a very good career on that 3.2 and sometimes miss the stress of all that at the age of 23. :cool:

6. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Good for you! Be proud of what you've done. My son graduated with a lower GPA than you in Electrical Engineering and got a great job. His personality and ability to work with older adults was a real plus during the interview and he has good business sense. He's also a great listener and clarifies questions ask to him. I'm here to make you a great product and money! He loves his manufacturing/quality control/design job so far.

7. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

For most jobs, it does not make one iota of difference. A 4.0 might be a little extra polish on a resume, but nothing more. For high profile positions where appearances matter more than ability, it is a bragging right that will take you places (I'll not comment on what those might entail).

For hard math and science paths (certainly including most forms of engineering--not counting software engineering unless you're going for a position at Google where the Ivy League mentality exists), it can definitely give you an edge. There may always be jobs for someone with a degree in engineering, but there are some darned competitive people out there as well as businesses who have the money and the need to get the best (I'm the last person to suggest that a 4.0 GPA means anything in terms of actual ability, but I'd bet money you find a higher concentration of able, driven people in the higher GPA brackets).

If you're studying just about any form of engineering, you aren't working too hard. When you and your peers graduate, your list of options will be far longer and far more attractive than your lower GPA peers. You won't regret it when you're done.

8. Jon_R

Jon_R

What do I get for one? :tongueout: I can come up with a wheelchair and can tan in the FL sun....

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It matters at first blush. Of course other things matter too like whether or not you've had internship/co-op experience, hands-on experience, etc.

A 4.0 engineering grad with zero internship experience compared to a 3.0 engineering grad with one or two internship experiences (positive feedback from the intern's employers)...well...in this case GPA doesn't mean squat.

10. harleygsb

harleygsb

It is something to open a door for you. If someone is hiring and sees your GPA and a lower one on another candidate, you stand a good chance of getting the interview. Once you have the interview, it may help the company decide between two strong candidates. If you decide to go to grad school, it will matter greatly to get into the school of your choice. It is well worth the effort to keep the GPA up. There really is no downside.

11. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Most jobs...No..Sorry. Usually if they don't ask for your transcript they don't even care, as long as you have that pigskin. You might get a slight advantage by putting summa cum laude next to your degree on your resume, but if you don't mention it, your future employer might not even ask.

Some Jobs it does matter. I remember the CIA and FBI wanted you to have at least a 3.0. and some large companies may ask it what the applicant's GPA was and weed out those with real low GPA's. Also the university you go to matters. Your 4.0 average engineering degree from a crappy state school will be meaningless to a 3.0 from MIT or some other high end ivy league school.

Congrats on being a good student, and good luck. Sorry that life sucks.

12. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

So, two young women graduate from college with degrees in mechanical engineering.

They both apply for the same job at the same company.

One woman has a 3.0 from MIT.
    The other woman has a 4.0 from Southwest North Dakota State at Rapid City.

Which one gets the job?

The one with the biggest boobs, of course.

13. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

There you go. Good answer :)

And to get into UG college, the same first pass filter is done on HS GPA. And to get into graduate school, it is done on UG GPA.

Whenever people have a crap load of applications to sort through, something like a GPA or SAT score or GRE score makes an easy tool to use for sorting the applications for looking at. 1 short stack for reading. 1 tall stack for filing into the garbage.

Your elementary school permanent record, however, might not be so readily available or easy to use like that. So your old principle might have been full of it concerning that skateboarding incident :rofl:

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Not if she's ugly and fat. The one with the best bod and face gets the job.

15. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

it does for yor first job. after that not so much.

16. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Also true :)

17. OrangeJoe

OrangeJoe Machetes & Guns

This.

Also, look at minimum requirements for the fun agencies CIA, National Air and Space Intelligence Center and Missile Defense Agency, etc. GPA is the first cut off and if I remember correctly from my 2010 career fair the minimum is high (higher than 3.5 GPA)

arclight610, a summer internship or two won't hurt either.

18. zj96sc

zj96sc

For your first job it absolutely matters. It is the first filter for most competitive engineering positions.

After that your track record and recommendations replace it as the main distinguisher.

19. arclight610

arclight610

An internship is a graduation requirement for me.

20. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

in my experience, nobody cares about grades, they just want to see a piece of paper that says you graduated.