close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Does anyone out there reload 5.7x28mm?

Discussion in '5.7 X 28mm Club' started by xsiv4s, May 30, 2010.

1. xsiv4s

xsiv4s CLM

I have been kicking around the idea of going through the hassle of getting a suppressor and I would like to try it on my FN 5.7 or my AR 57 (I guess both). I was wondering about using a larger grain military round (more mass) to make up for less powder. Has anyone messed around with this?

2. miatank

miatank

I've seen some loads listed for bullets heavier than 40gr. but have not tried them myself. Suggest you search this forum: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/index.php

dave - should give you a start

3. grendelbane

grendelbane

I have loaded the 55 grain FMJ bullets. I didn't try and keep them sub-sonic, however.

Others have loaded it sub-sonic.

Even heavier bullets have been loaded, but 55 grain is as heavy as I have any experience with.

4. ar15ed

ar15ed

i have a ps90, and my dad has a 5.7 (pistol). he is an avid reloader. he got a set of the rcbs dies when they first came out, and had no luck at all reloading them. he recently got a set of lee dies that have worked much better. lee doesn't catalog them, but if you call them direct, they will make you a set. i know lee sometimes has a little bad publicity, but i have never had a problem with any of their stuff, and in this case their dies are better than the others.

another thing to know is that brass that has been fired in a rifle seems to resize better than brass that has been fired in the handgun. the action evidently opens up a little quicker in the handgun, and a lot of times the neck is pushed WAY forward. i guess there is a little more dwell-time in the rifles, and they are easier on the brass. that being said, the brass is always HARD to resize. unbelievably hard for such a tiny case. our experience has been that the brass is only useable for a very few loadings, sometimes only one or two times.

i am definitely not an expert on the subject, but i have fooled with them a bit, and i have done some prior research on reloading the little guy. good luck with them!

5. srt-4_jon

srt-4_jon

6. louiemn

louiemn

Good afternoon.

I'm writing to ask if anyone has experience using Hornady Dies for 5.7?

Let me know how they are since I'm also an avid Lee Die user, and I love them. But I'd like to try Hornady for 5.7.

Stay Safe!!!

Lou

7. Roughedgekid

Roughedgekid Old Fart

I got the hornady dies when they first came out. I'm a Lee guy also so I would rather have the Lee's. The 5.7 is a pain to load as they are small to handle and I had to get a reducer for my funnel because Hornady dont have the powder through die so I dont load as many as I should but I still have many 35 gr. V-max bullets and around 500 brass in caes I get bored one day.