close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Does anyone else hate gunshops?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by rudeboy3, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rudeboy3

rudeboy3
    Expand Collapse

I have finally realized I cant stand gun shops or gun shows. I have been looking for a 357 snub and out of almost ten shops I only found a few and every single one except one I walk in and they stare at you. Then when you start talking to them they are rude and just have to spread their extensive knowledge about guns, ammo, politics, religion etc. :upeyes:. The used gun prices are astronomical, ammo is marked up like 300 percent, and they always try to sell you something you dont want.

Gun shows are much the same. Every table is an overweight, rude, arrogant moron who really acts like he does not want you to buy his product. Anyone else have similar experience's? I really want to find a at home FFL to deal with out here but I am new to the area, anyone know one for northern AZ?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701
    Expand Collapse
    Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

Sounds about right to me.

3. Travclem

Travclem
    Expand Collapse
    Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

I have had similar experiences in local gun shops. Luckily my dad has an FFL.

4. janice6

janice6
    Expand Collapse

Except for one or two, I dread the thought of going into them.

Was at a farm supply store this PM and the guy behind the gun counter was talking with "his friends" and said "if you had no CCW but strapped on a gun and open carried it, the police would be afraid to challenge you".....My wife started laughing out loud and I had to get her out of there. Bunches of idiots lurking there.

5. WayaX

WayaX
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

I'm with you on this one. I've learned to just ignore them though. They're a necessary nuisance if you want instant gratification of purchases.

My wife bought a Swiss P225 (Zurich PD trade-in) online and had it sent to a local FFL. When she took it back to another shop to try and find a holster to fit, the gun store owner swore it was a "made in Mexico" knock-off and tried to get her to buy a real "U.S." Sig.

Don't even get me started about when they decide to talk politics or religion. Oh yeah, and public ranges are a dreadfully scary place, and have an equal amount of idiots who can't keep their opinions on anything in their mouths.

Of course, there are always exceptions, but sadly they don't seem to do as well in the business.

#5 WayaX, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  6. WarEagle32

WarEagle32
    Expand Collapse

I couldn't agree with you more. I tell my wife about it because it happens sooo often. In my fairly vast experience about 9 out of 10 workers at any gun store are total a-holes that know "more" than you do about everything and are just rude. It's a weird thing that I see over and over again. It's the only service industry I can think of where the salesmen are rude. Not every time, but by far the majority of the time. Now all I need is a ton of money and an ffl and I can get my own store!!!

7. G30Mike

G30Mike
    Expand Collapse
    Say When!

I like my LGS pretty well. Prices are fair and the people who work there have always treated me with respect. I'm pretty cool with the Glock armorer on staff and another guy who is the owners son in law. The owner is kindof a dick, but if I mess with him back he's okay. They have let me trade things out for what I paid them for them for other things I needed more, in spite of the strict return policy, so that's fair enough in my book.

The only thing I use their indoor range for is IDPA matches every two weeks. Other than that I use the free Conservation Department ran range.

8. RogueAshtrays

RogueAshtrays
    Expand Collapse

I hear what you are saying, I had issues with most of the gun shops in my area untill, Doc Hollidays in Grants Pass, Oregon opened up. They are a family owned and operated store with everything from antique to the most moderen tactical guns available. They are more than happy to pull every single gun out for you, talk to you for hours, special order absoloutly anything even if they have to spend days researching it. They don't care if you buy today, because they have such a great shop, the know you will be back and will buy eventually. They realize that if they cater to the dreamers and offer layaway, they will cover everyone. Hell they traded with me for my Glock setup, I gave em great knives and I got a great gun, holster set, and dies. Customer service is what its all about and my local gun shop has amazing customer service!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. LawScholar

LawScholar
    Expand Collapse

Been to about 20 gun shops. Been treated like an absolute fool at all of them. That's what I get for wearing glasses and going to college. Clearly, I can't know anything about guns.

Hate gun shops.

Single exception? Orchard's Ace Hardware in Loveland, Colorado. I'm unaffiliated, but I wandered in with a friend and the lady behind the counter was amazing, handing me tons of guns to play with even after I said I couldn't buy that day. If I had an LGS like that, they'd get LOTS of my money.

10. Lior

Lior
    Expand Collapse
    GUNS=FREEDOM

Entering gunshops is often a necessary evil for being able to protect yourself and yours or for meeting incredibly decent folks at shooting matches.

11. Ftttu

Ftttu
    Expand Collapse

I know how y'all feel. They usually lighten up to me after I talk to them a while due to my military service and being in law enforcement. Lately, the gun shops in my area haven't been doing so well and have closed up. That leads me to larger stores that incidently sell weapons and ammo like the PX, Walmart, and Academy without the pushing of many of the views that I just happen to believe in anyway.

12. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701
    Expand Collapse
    Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

FWIW, Academy is by far the best in town when it comes to both prices and service. Selection is generally ok too.

Sadly, there are still a couple of employees and the usual crapton of customers who have to be stupid.

13. mixflip

mixflip
    Expand Collapse

Im lucky enough to live in Vegas where we have a pawn shop that has a pretty big selection of new and used guns. Its always a surprise when I go in there because you just never know what has been traded or pawned and is for sale?

I only go to the big gun show because I park for free and get in for free. If not for that I would not even go to guns shows here.

14. mongo356

mongo356
    Expand Collapse

Gave up on gun shows some time ago......

Gun shops are kinda like restaurants to me. eating out of town may keep you from starving but the hometown restaurant is the best. My LGS rocks!! really have no ambition to go anywhere else. Most other places the people or salesmen are what kills it for me.

15. MinnesnowtaWild

MinnesnowtaWild
    Expand Collapse

I seriously thought I was crazy, but this thread confirms that I am not. I don't know what it is about gun shops, but 95% of the time the employees are just total jerks. I am 24 and in a law enforcement academy and I look like I am younger, so I get treated even worse than most. I give A LOT of respect to employees who treat me fairly like they would anyone else.

There are many gun stores in my area, and the vast majority of them apparently all hire the biggest morons possible. If I were the owner of a gun shop, I would rather have someone who is friendly and respectful to everyone, young or old, male or female, etc than someone who is knowledgeable in firearms but has poor people skills.

It really blows my mind how these people even have jobs...

16. MinnesnowtaWild

MinnesnowtaWild
    Expand Collapse

And I would like to add that I hate buying stuff from big box stores if there is a local shop that carries the same product. But, sadly, the big box stores are the ones who have employees who treat people fairly. They may not be as knowledgeable about firearms as the guys at the local gun shop, but if they are respectful to me and offer their time to help me then I don't really care if they aren't extremely knowledgeable with firearms. When I go to buy a gun I have done many hours of research, so I don't need someone to tell me what I should get.

17. gadgetnut259

gadgetnut259
    Expand Collapse

I couldn't agree more with the OP. There are two gunshops in my area that I will not go back to. Not that anything specific has happened; just a general crappy attitude and rudeness. There is one shinning exception around here (W.E. Sell in Hanover, PA). Nice place that's been in business for a long time. It's run by a father and son and they are both polite, friendly and just great to deal with.

18. Psychman

Psychman
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I find it somewhat ironic that someone with the screen name of Rudeboy would be talking about how rude gun shop people are.

I love my gun shop in Beechgrove Indiana. They are very friendly and call me by name when I walk in. They work their butts off to get the guns I want and they thank me at least a few times for my business before I walk out the door. Oh and the prices are always lower than I could get elsewhere including Buds, and Gander Mountain.

#18 Psychman, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  19. Sgt. Rambo

Sgt. Rambo
    Expand Collapse

My "local" gunshop is about 30 mins away. I've been going there on and off for 25 years. Good people but I can see why they would be a little cranky watching some of the yahoos they deal with day in and day out. Very pro Second Amendment and actually PROMOTE it via radio and internet. Good staff and I don't mind going there. Havent' had many other experiences outside of this shop. Gun SHOWS... yes different story. Mutants of the world unite!!

20. uhlawpup

uhlawpup
    Expand Collapse
    Gentle Soul

If you don't like gun shops or gun shows, why go to them? Buy on line, and do the transfer through a FFL near you. No one is forcing you to suffer.

Better yet, if you think you can do better, open one of your own. There's money to be made...

I think you'll find a lot of the talk you hear in gun shops and gun shows is sales talk, attempting a rapport to get you to spend money. If you have even a modicum of intelligence, you can easily learn to ignore it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.