close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Does anyone else carry two types of ammo.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by G36Bell, Dec 9, 2011.

1. G36Bell

G36Bell
    Expand Collapse
    G36, G17

I CCW with JHP in my G36. And my spare mag full of FMJ. Just in case you need to punch thru something. Doors, windscreens....

Does anyone else do this?:dunno:

UPDATE: I don't stagger rounds in my hand guns. Just carry FMJ in my spare mag.
    I have shot Federal Hydro shocks a 1 inch thick plywood and it has stopped the round and bulged the back out of the board.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 G36Bell, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  2. jaklcrow

jaklcrow
    Expand Collapse

I stagger JHP/FMJ in all my mags

3. 10-32

10-32
    Expand Collapse
    Here, hold this

Nope.

Doesn't sound very practical or realistic IMO. What are you doing that you are going to be able to switch ammo, and why would you need to shoot through a door?

I'm curious as to what type of scenario you have in your head. Not trying to be negative here, just curious

4. Wawrz

Wawrz
    Expand Collapse

I have always used jhp when cc but that's a good idea to carry the spare mag with fmj just for those reasons...

5. Al Czervik

Al Czervik
    Expand Collapse
    My arm!

Negative Ghostrider.

6. Bowtie

Bowtie
    Expand Collapse
    NRA MEMBER

I know people that carry a spare mag of ball ammo for duty use but I don't..Staggering is foolish in my opinion because during an adrenalin dump you're not going to know what you just fire and whats coming up next. Ball ammo is going to over penetrate things you don't want such as people, wall's ect. Why would you EVER want to shoot through a door?

#6 Bowtie, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  7. Fragman

Fragman
    Expand Collapse

Nope.

8. G36Bell

G36Bell
    Expand Collapse
    G36, G17

Lets see....a car jacker has you in a parking lot. You stuck in your car, he has a gun pointed at you head. Are you going to say hold on let me roll down the window.

Some one has broke into your house and has you cornered in a back upstairs bed room. They are smashing the door in .....

You get the idea.:dunno:

9. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR
    Expand Collapse
    Lost

Get yourself a 10mm if your worried about a door. Problem solved :thumbsup:

10. Bowtie

Bowtie
    Expand Collapse
    NRA MEMBER

Well if thats the scenario then the first shot will take out the window second, third fourth or whatever makes contact with the BG..Any decent hollow point is not going to get stopped by an interior door..See where I'm going with this?

11. 10-32

10-32
    Expand Collapse
    Here, hold this

Ok I think I see what you're thinking, but a good JHP will work just fine right through your car window or just about any interior door in your home (in my house anyway).

Think about the scenario where you're cornered in your home for a second ... Are you really going to have the thought process that you need to drop the mag you have, take the round out of the chamber, insert the other mag, release the slide, and THEN shoot ... or are you just going to send a couple of whatever is in the gun at the door? And if you DO have the mindset...and the time...to do all that, will you have the fine motor control to get it done?

Not arguing with you, just playing devil's advocate

12. Ender587

Ender587
    Expand Collapse

I think you should carry what your comfortable carrying. Ive hot hollows in my bedside gun, and ive got FMJ's in the house but not loaded. I dont think Id ever stack them because like someone already said.. Id lose track of what I was shooting.

13. Bowtie

Bowtie
    Expand Collapse
    NRA MEMBER

Besides, shoot ball ammo through an interior door and miss? Your neighbors are not going to appreciate that one..

14. Hour13

Hour13
    Expand Collapse
    Tah-dah!

PDX-1s... ftw.
    :cool:

15. "Cold Dead Hands" !

"Cold Dead Hands" !
    Expand Collapse

Corbon DPX will do it all !
    Expand nicely, but not fragment.
    Shoots thru thick sheet metal, like steel doors, like a FMJ.
    It didn't expand, when shot thru the sheet metal.

Bonded bullets should work good too.
    Speer Gold Dot, and others.

#15 "Cold Dead Hands" !, Dec 10, 2011
  16. 10-32

10-32
    Expand Collapse
    Here, hold this

[QUOTE="Cold Dead Hands" !;18266571]Corbon DPX will do it all !
    Expand nicely, but not fragment.

Shoots thru thick sheet metal, like steel doors, like a FMJ.
    It didn't expand, when shot thru the sheet metal.[/QUOTE]

That's what I carry in my little P32. Good stuff

17. arushus

arushus
    Expand Collapse
    Biggest Member

I own a 10mm glock, and all my following statements pertain to it...

I dont stagger my ammo or anything like that, but I do keep different types for different situations...my home defense round is a 135gr nosler jhp, it pretty much blows up when it hits anything, so theres less of a chance of overpenetrating and hitting someone else, or missing and going through a wall and hurting a neighbor kid or something like that.

I use 155 or 165 gr golddot for carry purposes.

I use 180gr hornady xtp's, (or 175gr winchester silvertip jhp's since they expand a little better) for when there is no telling what I may run into, kinda like a general purpose round for say camping, hiking, etc...it is heavy enough to take down four legged critters, and isnt overkill for the two legged critters.

I use 200gr hardcast or 200gr hornady xtp rounds if Im out hunting with my pistol as my primary means of taking game, but as a backup gun to my rifle or bow, I revert back to the 180gr xtp's or 175gr winchester silvertip jhp's....

#17 arushus, Dec 10, 2011
  18. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

Good JHPs punch through doors and glass just fine.

Staggering is just plain dumb. A service caliber FMJ will go through two people and still kill a third. Not to mention that FMJ is a poor stopper so you are compromising half of your ammo.

#18 cowboy1964, Dec 10, 2011
  19. ronin.45

ronin.45
    Expand Collapse

No.

All the same defensive ammo. It will go through anything I need to shoot through just fine.

20. arushus

arushus
    Expand Collapse
    Biggest Member

The OP never said anything anout staggering his ammo, he did say he carries one mag of hp's and one mag of fmj's...makes sense to me, whatever floats your boat!

But I agree, anyone who does stagger their ammunition is just a plain ol silly mall-ninja!

The only staggering that ever made even a little bit of sense to me was when someone said that the first round in their mags is one type, and all the rest is another...I cant remember exactly what the orientation was, but it did make sense at the time he told me about it...