close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Does anyone care about "one shot stop" statistics anymore?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Metal Angel, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

Oct 20, 2010
    I think we have probably all seen the list of pistol calibers and their respective percentages of "one shot stop". I have heard some people say its outdated because it doesn't take into account the advances in SD ammo that have occurred over the last 10 years or so.

My question is, if they compiled a new list, would anyone care? It seems like all the police shootings I have heard of in recent memory have been no less than several shots. I think the "nude zombie" took something like 4 or 5 rounds of .40smith to go down, that crazy guy running around downtown (Chicago?) that the lady officer shot at 9 or so times (not sure how many hits) with .40smith. A local guy took 12 rounds of .40smith to go down (he was wearing armor). That chimp a few years ago that mangled that lady's face and hand took 4 of .40 before it ran into the house and died.

The only two "one shot stops" I can think of in recent memory is Trayvon Martin 9mm and in New Jersey the guy holding the knife to the lady's throat got stopped with one shot of .45auto.

From what I just rambled off it looks like .40smith is pretty anemic, and .45 and 9 are powerhouses. We all know that's not true however. So in that case, does anyone care about "one shot stop"? And if "one shot stop" is not a stat that should be considered during your decision of what gun to carry, shouldn't capacity be king?

I'm sort of just thinking out load here, but what do you guys think?

Btw, sorry for not citing any of my info... I'm just too lazy. You can correct any of my info if you feel it I necessary.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

2. Dexters

Dexters

May 3, 2004
    ga
    No ...

There are too many variables to make 'street' shootings a good tool for evaluations.

3. pizza

pizza

Feb 1, 2008
  4. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    The only thing that I take out of it, is that all service caliber pistols suck for stopping a threat. A pistol is a side-arm, meant to carry concealed and/or get you to a real weapon, such as a shotgun or AR/rifle.

5. Boats

Boats Not Assimilated

Dec 22, 2002
    Somewhere in Oregon
    There's that silly notion again.

What are you gonna do, fight your way out to the parking lot to your "trunk rifle?"

6. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

Jan 23, 2010
    Shreveport, La.
    This..

7. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    I'm still confident that any of my handguns will do their job if I do mine.

8. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    "Does anyone care about "one shot stop" statistics anymore?"

I agree.

9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  10. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Sep 6, 2001
    I'll follow the adage, "Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice." At least.

Handguns, for the most part, are compromises with limitations... kinda like life. If I knew I was heading into a gunfight, long guns with similarly armed friends along are preferrable IMO.

One shot stops at O dark thirty, with BG probably wearing a black or dark Tee shirt in a dynamic life or death situation, I'm not planning on a single shot for some reason. If I were, bigger is my preference in terms of making leaky holes.

But more is always good too... right? To a point.

11. Any 1 shot stop with a caliber of less than 50 BMG, espeically pistol calibers, should be considered flukes and not reproduceable.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  12. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

Oct 20, 2010
    Haha. I'm with you. If I have to fight all the way to my long guns, it's either red dawn or day z- neither of which I have enough ammo for.

I also think "all about shot placement" is a little silly. I mean, it definitely is, but what makes you think you can hit a target as thin as a man's pinky under stress (spine)... And going for a headshot (unless absolutely necessary like that hostage case I mentioned) is just setting yourself up to fail. If you miss, you get nothing. At least if you miss the spine you still hit some flesh. More and more I think a little more capacity and a lot more luck is what you need.

13. I'd be interested is seeing a new list on one shot stops.I read them all back in the 70's-80's. I've always been a fan of the 1911 and .45acp. YMMV.tom.:cool:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  14. pizza

pizza

Feb 1, 2008
    I never said "I think I can hit a target as thin as a man's pinky under stress". I was just pointing out that of all the mainstream autoloader rounds (9, 40, 45) shot placement is gonna determine a one shot stop. Doesn't matter if it's a zombie on bath salts, if you get em' in the heart or brain their going down. Your point is well taken though, the chances are slim in hitting a critical one shot under stress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

15. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    I am not overly familiar with the criteria for one shot stops but I am reasonably certain that for someone wearing body armor or for primates will be in a different category.

I agree but also believe that sheer luck plays a substantial part even with good shot placement. Center chest hit - great except that the sternum deflected the round a bit. Missed the center completely but hit the big artery in the leg or shatter bones in the pelvis and the subject is out. I agree that good shot placement increases the chance of a stop but I contend luck plays a substantial part too.

16. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    OSS was a failed attempt to quantify stopping power.

Too many variables, and historically handguns really aren't very good 'stoppers', they are a compromise since we don't get to tote rifles and shotguns.

17. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

Oct 20, 2010
    Yup. I'm just saying a different handgun caliber wouldn't have made a lick of difference in those situations. Well, maybe that fabled 5.7x28 penetrator bullet... Who knows?

18. Highspeedlane

Highspeedlane NRA Life Member

Jan 25, 2008
    New England
    As many have posted above, the variables involved when a shooting occurs coupled with the relative low power of typical service handguns makes accurate predictions about caliber/stopping power more wishful optimism than verifiable fact.

Makes for some interesting reading some days though.

19. pizza

pizza

Feb 1, 2008
    Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk