close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Does anybody still hunt with a 16 gauge?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by LarryD1130, Oct 29, 2010.

1. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

Aug 31, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have this old Mossberg bolt-action 16 gauge that my dad gave me. I used it two years ago when I went hunting but I didn't get to shoot it. I'm confident of it's hunting capabilites because my dad got his best 10 point with it. I was considering getting a new shotgun to hunt with but I wanted to know if anybody still used a 16 gauge? If not, what type of shotgun should I get to hunt deer in Western PA?

2. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

Jan 23, 2010
    Shreveport, La.
    Don't see many 16's anymore, but they were used to put meat down for generations and animals haven't gotten any tougher since then... I have an old one too, but have only put a pocket full of shells through it in 25 years... It will kill deer just fine within reasonable ranges of any other shotgun, but like You know a 12 gauge is the standard.. If I go squirrel hunting ever again I may use it for nostalgia value as it's been in My family for 50 years, but if I use a shotgun for deer I will probably just grab one of My 12 gauges just because it's there and it throws a bit more lead...

3. 16s and 28s are getting very hard to find ammo or SG with barrels in these ga, with 12 and 20ga SG, it does not make sense for a 16/28 imho

4. n0vember

n0vember germanolicious

Dec 1, 2008
    Germany.
    Is use a 60 year old Simson side by side in 16 gauge

[​IMG]

I use it only for hare and pheasant hunting when I have hunt all day as it is very lightweight. Love it and with the 2 3/4" Brenneke slugs it shoots groups of roughly 10centimers at 70 meters, both barrels

5. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

Jan 23, 2010
    Shreveport, La.

That is a fine firearm, and it will still be participating in another 60 years...

6. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

Aug 31, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Just picked up some 16 gauge slugs yesterday.