close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Do your own reloads make smily brass?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Wash-ar15, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

Sep 15, 2007
    It been my opinion for a while that factory SD .40 is loaded extremely hot. every time i shoot some, I get guppy brass. Never have this problem with my reloads, even when they are loaded to the max load.

Would you agree with me that factory 40 is overly hot?

Do you get guppy brass with your reloads?

2. D. Manley

D. Manley

May 30, 2005
    Southern US
    It's gonna' depend on what they're shot in. I don't get "guppied" brass from my reloads or, factory either for that matter. My .40 gun is a G-35, Generation 3 which has pretty good support at the 6 o'clock position but some earlier versions (and, some other brands) are not as well supported. I've picked up thousands of pieces of .40 range brass and almost never see any severely bulged brass. If I did, I'd toss 'em...too much good brass to fret over whether it's dependable or not.

3. FLSlim

FLSlim

Apr 12, 2010
    FL W Coast
    Like DManley, I haven't had any brass issues with factory or reloads (always midrange loads) with my G23 (gen 3). In the .40 I usually drop the sized round in a gage and about 2-3% need a push to fully seat. They don't have an obvious bulge and they fit the barrel, but I put those through a Redding GRx--just because.

4. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    The only guppied brass in 40 I have ever seen was in my buddy's SW99. It did it with two different brands of facotry ball, but not my reloads which were listed as max in the loading manual.

5. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    I've never even shot a .40... I feel so old. :fred:

Jack

6. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    All I've got is my honor as a gentleman. Jack will attest to that.

7. XDRoX

XDRoX

Jan 24, 2009
    San Diego
    A bunch of my brass starting coming out like this. The Lee Bulge Buster takes it right out though.

[​IMG]

8. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)