close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Do You Use Grease on Your Handguns??

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Nalapombu, May 18, 2012.

1. Nalapombu

Nalapombu Millennium Member

Oct 21, 1999
    Spring, TEXAS....USA
    Hey all,

I was cleaning a couple of my handguns yesterday and going through my cleaning box. I noticed I had a couple different types of grease and at one time I know I had some Wilsons Ultima Lube. That got me thinking. How many shooters actually use grease in their handguns?

Do you?

Nalajr

2. P35

P35

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I use the Wilson's grease on my "wet" pistols

3. chewybaca67

chewybaca67

Apr 26, 2006
    New Mexico
    I forget the brand offhand, not at home right now, but I made a mix of the red grease with some Rem. gun lub and that's been working good the last few years. Especially for long term storage of some pistols and long arms. It's not too goopy and not so runny that it bleeds off after a while.

4. HexHead

HexHead

Jul 16, 2009
    I use my Garand grease, Lubriplate, on the rails of my handguns. "If it slides, grease it."

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Why would I use grease on my firearms? I wanna shoot'em, not to have sex with'em.

6. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
    I like the consistent "helpful input" some members have on this forum. :upeyes:

I always use grease on the rails and oil everywhere else on my semi-autos. The grease I use is by Militec. It doesn't attract dirt, dry out, it stays put and lubes very well.

7. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

Jan 23, 2010
    Shreveport, La.
    I've used all the oils that everyone says doesn't work, with complete success but never used grease... Grease has nothing left to prove from a lubricity standpoint and is probably a good idea in a weapon that doesn't see real dusty and dirty enviroments...

8. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    I use a light grease on the rails of all my semis and i still use the old "gunslick" on the friction points of a revolver.

9. I clean and lube my handguns with CLP. But I always use TW-25b grease on the rails. Why? Because Sig recommends it and includes a sample of it with their new guns. I'm comfortable with it so why not?

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    It's a gun. It's not a Formula 1 race car. People have been using gun oil on autocycling firearms for more than 100-years now. It ain't rocket science and it ain't magic.

11. boozer

boozer

Jul 24, 2007
    Hilltop, USA
    I use grease on the rails of my SIG, I've seen photos of rails worn through and coming loose on alloy frames.

I clean and lube after every range trip, so the need for grease versus oil is a tossup.

12. smokin762

smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I use Tetra Gun Grease on the rails and CLP on the rest of it. I do this with all my firearms. Rifles and handguns.

I have been doing this for many years. No issues.

13. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
  14. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    I have a couple of different greases I'll sometimes use on my pistols (Wilson Ultima GG & Mil-Comm TW-25B).

Mostly if I expect to carry them for extended periods in the moist salty air along the Coast. It remains in place for longer periods, unlike oil-type lubricants which may run off under gravity, wick off on leather holsters or have the carrier evaporate.

Just depends.

I have a few oil-type lubricants or CLP's I'll use more often.

I like to make sure the frame rails in my aluminum frame pistols remain slightly "wet" to my eyes and touch, though. I've seen some alloy frames quickly ruined by insufficient lubrication, and I've listened to many armorer instructors discuss the importance of keeping alloy frames lubricated over the years ... although the Sig instructor was really emphatic about it.

Lots of good lubricants made for use on firearms nowadays, and owners/users have a wide choice available from which to choose to meet their anticipated needs.

Read the labels, too. ;)

15. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
    Are you stuck in time? People advance and so do guns, ammo, lubrication, cars, phones, computers....technology in general. In any case, my comment was not about lubrication. It was about the way responses always come from the same people on this forum.

16. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    If it slides grease it, if it rotates oil it.

17. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Grease on the rails and barrel exterior, oil elsewhere.

18. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    :rofl::rofl:

I use Tetra regularly on slides/rails. My guess is that the vast majority of lubrication issues are either too much or way too little and that almost no lubrication issues would be solved by application of a different lubricant. (With the agreement that in some environments a grease is a better choice and inappropriate for some other applications.)

19. boone10

boone10 Glockeologist

Aug 7, 2011
    Alabama
    Grease made specifically for guns is crazy expensive. What's wrong with the white lithium grass in the squeeze tube found in the automotive section? I've used it for quite a while now on the slides. Gotta Sig Mosquito that runs like a champ while many others seem to have a lot of trouble with theirs