close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do you use an aftermarket barrel for carry?

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by LeMat, May 5, 2013.

1. LeMat

LeMat
    Expand Collapse
    Jellybaby?

I'm curious to know about folks who use aftermarket barrels for carrying. Are you just as comfortable using such in lieu of the OEM?

I know there are two sides to this. Those that do and those that don't (well, maybe three - those that don't care what other folks do).

And I know that like most things on gun boards, folks got their opinions (a lot of them being based simply by what they've read on the internet instead of real word experience - and then simply regurgitating them.).

A Yes/No answer, with perhaps which barrel you're using is really all that's necessary. I ain't lookin' for this thread to turn into a train wreck, so let's try to keep the regurgitating to a slow trickle.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Brian Lee

Brian Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Drop those nuts

I've got two different OEM barrels for my Glock, one standard length and one 6" hunting barrel. The gun jams with both of them. I also have three different aftermarket barrels for the same gun. Two are from Bar Sto and one from Lone Wolf. The gun has never jammed once using any of the aftermarket barrels.

Make of that what you want - it's the only Glock I've ever tested this way, so other people may have different experiences.

#2 Brian Lee, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
  3. dm1906

dm1906
    Expand Collapse
    Retired SO

Yes, on occasion, LWD 5.2". Most of the time, it's OEM, though. I shoot enough to know the level of reliability of both, and they are the same, now. Early on, I had more issues (however few) with the OEM than the LWD. Ammo wasn't the issue.

(trying hard to NOT read too far into your question....)
    The reason for OEM or not varies. Convenience (setup at the time) is the usual. Other times, concealability. The LWD peeks out of the holsters, and below the waistband of some of my jackets. No reasons, really, other than that.

4. John Watson

John Watson
    Expand Collapse

The Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for my G23 worked without any glitches and I would trust it as a carry barrel. The G21 barrels for both 45acp and conversion to 10mm neither work 100% so I would not use those for carry. So I guess, I am saying it depends on the barrel and if it is as reliable as any other of your carry guns.

5. captcurly

captcurly
    Expand Collapse

Keep my Glocks stock because Glock did not earn their reputation by using other make parts.

#5 captcurly, May 5, 2013
  6. happie2shoot

happie2shoot
    Expand Collapse

I believe you as I have after market barrels also and have had good luck with most of them but many don't think the
    Glock can be improved on. I bet most of the naysayers have
    never owned one.

7. LeMat

LeMat
    Expand Collapse
    Jellybaby?

Then this thread should hold absolutely no interest to you - yet you still felt it necessary to chime in with an edited comment that has nothing to do with my question.

8. bigtimelarry

bigtimelarry
    Expand Collapse

You want stock barrel for carry. your not going to gain any accuracy and there is a chance you could get a FTF, stovepipe whatever.. Not worth the money or risk.
    Aftermarket barrel if you want to shoot lead..

9. happie2shoot

happie2shoot
    Expand Collapse

If they are that good Glock would not have 4 generations,
    there is no such thing as perfect if man made it but we can
    improve on everything.

10. bigtimelarry

bigtimelarry
    Expand Collapse

I agree, but the Barrel is Perfect..

11. happie2shoot

happie2shoot
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info.:cool:

12. happie2shoot

happie2shoot
    Expand Collapse

My old mod23 barrel had less support than my Lone Wolf barrel' but my new mod27 has more suport than my new
    Lone Wolf barrel so they are getting much better.

13. bigtimelarry

bigtimelarry
    Expand Collapse

Anytime..:yawn:

14. bigtimelarry

bigtimelarry
    Expand Collapse

I'm talking for Carry..
    Aftermarket barrels are fine, I just dont see any reason to have one unless i'm shooting lead.
    For Carry purposes you want all the reliability possible plus you dont want aftermarket competition parts on your Carry Gun. I'm talking Carry Gun only..:supergrin:

15. psherman

psherman
    Expand Collapse

Yes, Bar-sto in my G29. Purpose was lead carry in woods. Didn't think it was going to work out at first, lots of reliability issues. After about a year of shooting, it's perfect and I trust it now.

16. UnitBob

UnitBob
    Expand Collapse

#16 UnitBob, May 5, 2013
  17. GRT45

GRT45
    Expand Collapse
    Transform & Win

Yes, but for woods protection carry only and during travel to and from the outback. I carry a 45-460R conversion barrel from 460 Rowland, LLC in my G30SF and my gal runs a KKM extended length 45-10mm conversion barrel (no longer sold by KKM). In the city, for concealed carry, it's always factory 45ACP barrels.

#17 GRT45, May 5, 2013
  18. happie2shoot

happie2shoot
    Expand Collapse

19. captcurly

captcurly
    Expand Collapse

Glock barrels have worked for me since mid 1988.

20. Sigobsessed

Sigobsessed
    Expand Collapse
    Good looking

I have two aftermarket barrels for my g20 a six in lwd for hunting and a stock length storm lake that I bought to shoot lead reloads for competition. I found it to be very reliable and after thousands of trouble free rounds with it I stopped switching between the two and just carry the stom lake all the time now.