Glock Talk banner

Do you think people should be allowed to carry guns in public?

15K views 87 replies 59 participants last post by  DunRanull 
#1 ·

Yes! The Second Amendment guarantees it.

No, it's too dangerous.

Only for self defense.

<http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/poll-do-you-think-people-should-be-allowed-carry-guns-public>

#27 ·
YES! The Second Amendment guarantees it. Every law that prohibits such a thing is in direct violation of 2A. Concealed is the only practical way to do it as well. Concealed or Open Carry should be at the discretion of the person choosing how and what they want to carry today.

#31 ·
I think we should be able to carry in public, but I also think it doesn't help our cause in the battle for our rights. I feel that you frighten too many people who may support us and push them into the anti camp. Time may prove me wrong, but I think many of the elderly & women shy away from us when they see guns in public.

#32 ·
I have mixed emotions about the open carry law.
I think we should be able to carry openly if one chooses to do so, but without licensing, how do you tell the good guys from the bad guys.
IWB vs. OWB

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SjwO17gsqU"]Pancho was a bandit boys, his horse was fast as polished steel. He wore his gun outside his pants. For all the honest world to feel.[/ame]

Duh!

#33 ·
Do you think people should be allowed to carry guns in public?112257 votes

Answer 1 of 3
Yes! The Second Amendment guarantees it.
98k votes

Answer 2 of 3
No, it's too dangerous.
9,858 votes

Answer 3 of 3
Only for self defense.
4,518 votes
<http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/poll-do-you-think-people-should-be-allowed-carry-guns-public>

#34 ·
I don't really see the need to open carry, at least give the impression that you are trying to conceal your weapon and you aren't very good at it. Instead of going around like some Billy bad a.. who wants everyone to see him carrying a gun. Plus you have advertised to the world that you have a gun so that someone wishing you harm now knows not to give you a chance to shoot back. It is a worthless dangerous thing to do that makes people around you nervous!

#58 ·
but open carry can also tell them that they might die if they try anything stupid of course don't care. But its also said that suspect look for easy targets so showing gun can warn them not to harm you but not A guaranteed but they might have seconds thoughts . Open carry has it Pros & Cons.

#35 ·
I realize I'm in the minority on this and am likely to get much verbal abuse from the haters out there, but here goes anyhow...

I am not a proponent of open carry for civilians for the following reasons:

1. First and foremost, concealed carry affords one the element of surprise. That's the beauty of concealed carry as we know it today. If/when the chips are down, we would do well to have the element of surprise on our side.

2. Open carry has the liklihood to lead to an increase in firearms related accidents and/or incidents. This will neither be a good thing for the pro-gun cause nor will it be good for society in general.

3. Open carry, while already lawful in my particular state, is objectionable to many people and many perceive it as an IN-YOUR-FACE gesture. I am aware of people who open carry, and it is not at all well received by the general public---in fact, most pro-gun types here will tell you that they find it objectionable.

4. Laws permitting open carry are unnecessary, assuming the option to carry concealed already exists.

My opinion only, but I foresee open carry causing more harm than good. The only reason open carry isn't a problem in PA now is because the overwhelming majority of folks who carry here do so concealed.

#36 ·
I don't really see the need to open carry, at least give the impression that you are trying to conceal your weapon and you aren't very good at it. Instead of going around like some Billy bad a.. who wants everyone to see him carrying a gun. Plus you have advertised to the world that you have a gun so that someone wishing you harm now knows not to give you a chance to shoot back. It is a worthless dangerous thing to do that makes people around you nervous!
really? I've seen many open carriers. never bothered me

#37 ·
really? I've seen many open carriers. never bothered me
I hear you. Generally speaking, I would surmise that "gunny-types"---like those who read this forum---are less likely than "non-gunnies" to see a problem with it.

You are proof of that point.

#38 ·
I just came back from a shopping trip at Wal-Mart, used card dealer, Barbershop, and Best Buy, and I was concealed the whole way. So can I assume you know my answer, heck YES!

#39 · (Edited)
People who are afraid to see a gun are hoplophobes and really need to see a shrink about their inordinate fears. Some may actually be mentally ill.

A right is a right, I don't care what others' unreasonable fears may be about it. They need to adjust. End of story.

Reactions: NoStress
#45 ·
I also have mixed feeling. If guns make you uncomfortable, I am relatively indifferent.
However, it is not always prudent to make others uncomfortable.
I don't open carry for this reason
Felons carry? Not real keen on "violent" felons that have demonstrated their poor choices having 'legal' access.
The US population is around 318 million, let's say 4% to 10% are mentally unstable. If bearing arms is a responsible way is expected, not sure those who 'suffer' with instability should have guns. The 2nd amendment does not address this issue

Your opinions may vary

#47 ·
Absolutely yes! An armed populace is a polite populace.

#48 ·
My wife is affraid of dogs, but in no way does she think that people should be allowed to have them or walk them. Its her issue not theirs. Same with OC if folks saw more guns around, they would get used to them. I OC'd in Arizona for many years. Never once had the cops called on me. Different world back then. I dont personally need to OC anymore for me, but it would be nice to have the option... For accidental printing or for camping/outdoor activities.

#54 · (Edited)
We've had open carry and licensed concealed carry in Arizona for years.

I see people open carrying every day.

Not long ago, they allowed concealed carry without a concealed carry license.

It's like the shootout at the OK Corral here. Blood running in the streets. People in protracted firefights over parking places. You get shot at just going out to the mailbox. Snipers and drive-bys are everywhere. You have to wear a helmet to protect yourself from the stray projectiles falling from the sky and be careful not to have your feet "roll out" from under you when walking on all the spent brass on the ground and fall and break your hip. And wear a mask to not inhale too many lead particulates in the air. The freeways are lined with burned out and disabled vehicles, the evidence of the daily road rage engagements. Even the water is poisoned. Entire neighborhoods have been evacuated having become untenable. Gangs control many areas - and are not forgiving to those on their turf. Police are largely ineffective in curbing the violence. The death toll mounts daily.

Oh, wait. That was Chicago and Detroit.

#55 ·
100%, but under some strict conditions. That's just me, so don't hate me for that. No criminal past, psychological evaluation, practical training and law test should be passed before anybody could be in such position. Re-evaluation every 5 years.

#56 ·
Maybe we should give a test before you can exercise free speech and take a test before cops have to use warrants to go through your house...

Find a solution that takes the inviolable nature of the rights into account. Then we can talk.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

#59 ·
At work I want to be able to put my hand on my gun but stupid laws say we can't If I don't know someone or someone might do harm I want to be able to be ready to pull out my gun. Just to be ready on the safe side. and I can't have one round in the chamber while its in its holster. I don't care if you feel intimated if I was able to rest my hand on my gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.