close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Do you think 10% off for Idiot scatch is fair?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by ajgranda, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Here is a pic of the gun. Its a dealer demo, 150 rds through it. Appears to be in great shape except for this idiot scratch which dealer did during cleaning and reassembly to sell. Offering 12% off asking which is already discounted about 13% from MSRP. What do you think?
    Thanks

Edit: Its about 12% off Dealers asking for a new discounted version. I had also posted about this once before, but I'm trying to talk the dealer down another $100. I hadnt noticed the idiot scratch prior to that although it was advertised as being 99%. Don't think I will go for it if he doesn't bulge.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010

2. engineer151515

engineer151515

Nov 3, 2003
    If it is not a showpiece, going to get more skuffs anyway, and 10% = $50 or better, I'd say good to go. Would be really sweet if the discount covered any sales tax.

If this was intended to be a safe queen, then the marks on the slide would be annoying too.

3. hatidua

hatidua

Nov 21, 2004
    right here
    That little scratch, on brushed stainless, would take but a couple of minutes to remove. 10% off because it's January, sure. 10% off because it's Tuesday? why not. 10% off because a dealer doesn't know how to reassemble a 1911? absolutely!

But 10% off for that little scratch? -whatever helps him sell it I guess.

4. It's hard chrome, not SS, thanks.

5. It's going to be a rotating carry piece. Not a showpiece, but a $3K retail semi-custom.

6. 12% off of a discounted new gun, although dealer keeps stating it's basically new since it was only taken out to the range once and fired for about 150 rounds.

7. engineer151515

engineer151515

Nov 3, 2003
    So, per the edit, are you asking for $100 or $300 off for the scratch?

8. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

Feb 25, 2002
    USofA!
    Dealer is a rip off artist. New is new. A gun with 150 rounds through it is not new, it's used. Period. I wouldn't work with a shifty dealer like that.

You can buy a new pistol at a fair price somewhere else.

9. Well he said the pics of the gun ,that he stated was in 99% condition, showed that scratch, which it did, but I didnt notice. I offered him a price not realizing the scratch, which he accepted. Now that I did see it, I told him I wanted another $100 off.

10. glockrace

glockrace

Nov 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Seems to me your offer is more than fair, hold to your offer if he doesnt go for it then it wasnt meant to be. (I think it would be his loss and he should accept your offer)

11. Thanks, that's what I am going to do.

12. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    I'd pass,......I hate idiot scratches with a passion!
    I'd be asking for about 20% off MSRP

13. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    That is a big mistake for a dealer who carries high end 1911s. He knows he screwed it up. If he won't come down let him rip someone else off.

14. chuckman

chuckman

Nov 9, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Ask for the discount. Get it or walk. As for an idiot scratch, it's a gun, not a new kidney. I'd have no problem buying a gun with a scratch or two (for the right discount).

15. Yep, I decided to pass on this again. The dealer has been kind of sketchy with details about the gun and keeps re-listing it on gunbroker with 0 bids. I think there is more to this gun than just the idiot scratch.

I prefer to buy new anyway. Just need to save up a little more and do it right. Thanks

16. DYLANB80

DYLANB80

Dec 21, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Sounds like a good decision. Find a new one you can scratch. :cool:

17. I'll be using this :supergrin: :

http://1911-ispt.com/

18. tango44

tango44

Jun 16, 2005
    Miami Florida
    How much for the gun?
    What's the discount for the Idiot scratch?
    Keep it simple bro.
    Thank you.