close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do you suck at getting your personality across online?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by vart, Apr 29, 2012.

1. vart

vart

I apparently am really, really bad at it.:whistling:

I have never once been considered a jerk by people I know in real life.

I am consistently thought of as a nice guy, funny, intelligent, sweet, and humble...

Yet, when I post on GT, I get called a jerk, racist, stupid, train wreck, etc, etc.

I thought that maybe it's just the way of the internet; lots of jerks that like to tear others down to make themselves feel better...

But, in reading some of my threads that went downhill, it seems it is more of what I type in threads and how I say things that give people the wrong impression.

I have a very sarcastic sense of humor that is obvious in person, but does not convey very well in the written word.

I will have to stop assuming everyone else is being a jerk and try to analyze what I'm typing and how it may appear to someone that doesn't know me...

Anyone else here that has the same frustration?

2. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

I think I probably do. The use of emoticons would help, but I'm not a fan of them.

3. Rizzo

Rizzo Garbage Day!

You have to remember, it's the internet, where people can run their mouths and say things that would otherwise get their teeth knocked down their throat in real life. It (the internet) lets everyone's inner ***hole come out.

4. bsg1

bsg1

i'm usually tired by the time i get online; not much personality left. i'd guess that comes through pretty well.

5. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

You know, I almost never make anybody mad in real life. But, for some reason, I often make people mad on internet boards.

I guess I come across as mean or something, and I try to use lots of :supergrin: and :) to show that I am not really trying to be, but it just doesn't come off.

To me, this is like talking to guys at lunch, or at a bar-b-que or something. We ain't solving the problems of the world, we're just talking for fun. :supergrin: (still trying).

6. DIXIE DUCK

DIXIE DUCK

Yea I doubt many here would recognize my personality from reading my posts. I try to remember that when somebody is upsetting me on here, because face to face we'd probably get along allot better.

7. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Vart, I could have written the same post to convey the same ideas.

I know where you're coming from. :)

8. Creatism

Creatism

Forums and texts are horrible for sarcasm.

Typed from my iPhone.

9. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Oh, this is vart? well, seriously, I've never had an issue with your posts.

10. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

I don't know. Do I?

11. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

I am much funnier on line them I am in real life.

12. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

You come across nice enough, you just buy too many cars and move too often. Although I think you've done neither lately, so yer aoK in my book you racist jerk.

13. Annhl8rX

Annhl8rX

Heck, I suck at getting my personality across in person. I never realized it until I recently saw a video of me interacting with a "customer". I was being really, really nice to the guy, but when I watched it I realized that I came across as a jerk. I hate it, because I have no idea what to do about it.

14. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

In real life I get along fine with most.

Online troll population explosions, especially around election time, make people look for douchbaggery even where it doesn't actually exist. I am not immune to this either..

15. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

I usually type my post, re-read it thinking about how it will be perceived, and then click post. The universal problem with message boards is that you cant see the facial expression of the person talking. I think that is how things get taken out of context and people get upset.

16. coastal4974

coastal4974

I'm pretty good at killing threads. :dunno:

17. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Nope! The way I am on line is they way I am if we are talking face to face.

:supergrin:

18. RayB

RayB Retired Member

No! Not at all! Who said that? :fist:

The truth is, honorable people learn to like and trust me. I have people from high school, ex-employers, ex-customers, ex-coworkers, that all stay in touch with me. And when I worked the trade shows, many people I'd met or known previously, made it a point to stop and say hello, or offered to buy me a drink. I’m treated inordinately well at my gun shop and range, and guests have commented on that fact. ;)

As I think of it, most honorable ex-employers either promoted or sought to promote me... But I do take a while to get to know... And I am aware that a few here openly dislike me—and they know I’m okay with that. :dunno:

Both my ex and current wives are ex-coworkers, and both aggressively and enthusiastically pursued me. Shucks... :embarassed:

But I am a bit of a loner—always was. And while I can be a team player, I care little about impressing people, loathe crowds, and find most social situations to be dreary. :sigh:

I'm rarely lonely, when alone. And I need but one or two special people in my life. Today, I am blessed with the company of my lovely wife, Judy, and my closest friend, my darling pigeon, Bernie! :hearts:

--Ray

P.S. People that are less than honorable with me? Well, I have twice been fired, and twice quit jobs, and still got unemployment benefits in each case...

19. 9jeeps

9jeeps

Read some books that convey messages to you that you fully comprehend.

Study the phraseology and punctuation closely and carefully.

That will help you a lot in written communication.

Same can come from friends who are good at sending you emails.

Study and learn their secrets of doing what they do.

A note about spelling: This is a written medium. Spelling, though not crucial, says more about you than all the toys or big impressive goodies you awn.

20. vart

vart

Yeah, I definitely had those issues when I first started posting...

Been in the same town for 6 years now, but I do still get rid of vehicles after every 3 years or so when my needs change. Plus, driving 3000 miles a month tends to wear out cars...:whistling:

My 17 yr old daughter totaled my wife's Grand Marquis a couple of months ago after having it for 5 years, so we bought a Nissan Pathfinder to replace it.

Now the daughter only gets to drive her little Toyota pickup...