close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do you pick up strange loaded cartridges?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by njl, Oct 31, 2010.

1. njl

njl
    Expand Collapse

It always seemed risky to me that some of the other RSOs at the GSSF matches would happily pick up any loaded cartridge they found. My policy always was, unless I loaded it, or I know it's factory, I don't want it. I don't know how it was loaded, if it's safe to shoot, etc.

It finally occurred to me recently, these loaded cartridges I've been ignoring are free primed brass. I've started bringing them home, pulling them apart in the impact bullet puller, and then dumping the powder into my bottle of "junk/mixed smokeless" that I keep in one of the bench drawers.

My pistol loads are all pretty mild, so I figure worst case, I might get a piece with a magnum primer and it'll make little or no difference, though I think that's pretty unlikely anyway.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

I'm curious as to why you would keep the old powder, especially in a jar. You may certainly know something I don't but I just can't figure out any upside to that.

It would seem that pulling a few bullets then flushing the powder down the john would be the easiest thing to do.

Other than that you're smart to keep the brass even if you don't load that caliber... yet.

Jack

3. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Benefactor

Collect it, then spread it out in your yard, great fertilizer.

4. RedHaze

RedHaze
    Expand Collapse
    Handgunner

Or use it to start a hillbilly bbq... 8)

5. shotgunred

shotgunred
    Expand Collapse
    reloading nut

Just light it on fire. without a bullet to make pressure smokeless powder is rather boring when burning.

6. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

I would think that unless you have a really, really small lawn it's going to take a lot of picked up rounds to make a difference.

Wait, wait... you could end up with the plushest Chia Pet in town! :dunno:

Jack

7. njl

njl
    Expand Collapse

I've seen it done (actually, seen both black powder and smokeless lit without containment/pressure). Black goes up in a flash. Smokeless just sits there burning. At some point, I plan to do it myself (with smokeless) which is one of the reasons I keep a junk/mixed powder bottle.

8. sicbstrd

sicbstrd
    Expand Collapse

i pick up live rounds at my range all the time. Still i dont know why so many people just leave them behind. i pick em up, pull them, resize them and reload them.

i take the powder and weigh it for fun and see if i can guess what kind of powder it is before tossing it into my iceplant.

9. AA#5

AA#5
    Expand Collapse

I was just going to suggest that if you're a handloader, pull the rounds & use the bullets & brass. NOT the powder. The powder is great fertilizer. Spread it on a wet lawn or other plants or just flush it.

10. OkieGunNut

OkieGunNut
    Expand Collapse

I'll tell you why I use the pulled powder. Because I label it as 'mixed pistol powder" and treat it as a fast powder. Loaded, and shot, several thousand rounds with it.
    It's all about knowing what you are doing. Brain surgery is easy if you know how.
    I learned from my parents (Great depression kids) "Waste not, want not." I like hearing a penny scream.

11. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Benefactor

You mean something like this?
    [​IMG]

#11 ravenkeeper98, Oct 31, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  12. ron59

ron59
    Expand Collapse
    Bustin Caps

This is nothing but bad news here.:whistling:

Kids, don't try this at home.

13. OkieGunNut

OkieGunNut
    Expand Collapse

"Kids, don't try this at home."

I agree. Children should not engage in adult activities. And others should recognize their limitations and refrain likewise. Anything else you'd like to say, Son?

14. ron59

ron59
    Expand Collapse
    Bustin Caps

1) I'm 51, and certainly not *your* "Son"

2) I think if others had seen your "idea" to mix and match various powders and re-use it, you'd see nothing but scorn from them as well. Maybe you could start a thread about that and see what kind of response you'd get? My guess? Not *one* person would agree with you that is a safe/smart procedure.

Call yourself an "adult" all you want, I'm thinking you have onset Dementia.

15. OkieGunNut

OkieGunNut
    Expand Collapse

51? Sorry Ron you're still my junior. But that's not the point. You come on here and give me a backhanded insult and expect me to lay down. It ain't happening.

And it's obvious that my knowledge and experience level is far more than yours or you would not have posted what you did. Unless you just wanted to stir the pot.

Just remember Ron: "You don't want any, don't start any."

16. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt
    Expand Collapse
    Enslaved in IL

You know, this forum gets along fine without an E-Thug running around talking smack. I don't care how damn old you are, you are immature and your posts show it. Mixing powders you dont even know and loading them isnt stupid, its retarded. Bragging about it on the web is beyond retarded. Acting like its safe proves you are retarded.

17. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Sure you could do that, you can also drive over 90 w/o seatbelt, spit chewing tebakie into the wind, etc, but I would not attempt either w/o good cause. Being cheap is fine, being foolish is fine, being foolish because you are cheap, well.:dunno: WHen you mix powders you alter their pressure curve & burn characteristics. You are certainly guessing what will happen everytime you pull the trigger. Just because you get away w/ it doesn't mean it's a good idea.
    FWIW, I have been loading for decades, 100s of 1000s of rounds. I am "knock on wood", proud to say I have never had a KB of any kind. This includes working w/ several unknown wildcat rounds, so I DO know a bit about how to safely assemble ammo w/o pressure equip. Mixing two powders in know quantities can be useful tool. Mixing whatever & ptting a primer to it is just kins creepy. Maybe in such a ulta low vel level as to preclude any pressure, maybe, but then an airsoft might be a better tool for the really cheap shooter.

#17 fredj338, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  18. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa
    Expand Collapse

Fred thank you for your assessment of the Dangerous practice suggested earlier in the thread.

Someone that knows as little about reloading as the poster might be temped to follow the

crackpot internet suggestion, with unhealthy results.

It is like saying "you don't need a parachute to sky dive."

Which may be true but you do need a parachute if you want to sky dive twice.

#18 lethal tupperwa, Nov 1, 2010
  19. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

HEY LOOK! There's a bear walking across the pasture... think I'll go out and poke it with a stick just to see what happens.

Maybe it'll either drop dead or run away... or maybe not. :popcorn:

Jack

20. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt
    Expand Collapse
    Enslaved in IL

all you have to do is look at the posters other posts to see that this is an ongoing personality flaw.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1275492
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1259527

Some people are just naturally offensive. Like my Daddy used to say "They had to tie a pork chop around his neck just to get the dog to play with him."

Contrary to common belief, its not the fall that kills you. Its the sudden stop at the end.

#20 ilgunguygt, Nov 1, 2010