close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do you keep more than 1 HD shotgun loaded?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Z71bill, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Z71bill

Z71bill
    Expand Collapse

I have 5 shotguns - but only keep one - my 870 18.5" barrel loaded (0 buckshot) for HD duty.

I am planning to keep my wife's 20 gauge semi auto loaded up with some #3 buckshot. That way if we do have a situation I could at least hand her the 20 gauge and not have to worry about loading it up.

Seems like a no brainer --

This got me thinking -

Should I keep an extra shotgun ready for use?

I could load up one of my Winchester 12 gauge pumps that are set up more for hunting with some slugs or 000 buckshot.

Easier to grab a second gun than fumble a reload?

Or

Am I better off with the keep it simple method - have one shotgun to go to - no need to think about it - I reload all the time - and have extra shells on the gun.

BTW - I have a few pistols and an AK ready (empty chamber multiple full mags) if the need comes up - I am really just talking about shotguns.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. kimo

kimo
    Expand Collapse

All my weapons are loaded. I think its dumb to have unloaded weapons. Don't touch that weapon, its unloaded!

3. smitters

smitters
    Expand Collapse
    Love MY 35!!!!!

I agree with kimo...an unloaded gun is just a club. I don't want a few baseball bats and hammers laying around when I need a loaded gun. All mine are loaded and ready to serve their function in life as a "firearm," not club. And no I don't have kids, but when I do they will learn the importance of guns and gun safety. Kinda pisses me off when people tell me that's dangerous all those loaded guns. I just say don't touch the f...ing trigger and it will lay there contently forever and not kill anyone.

4. Z71bill

Z71bill
    Expand Collapse

So if you had 25-30 guns you would keep them all loaded?

I don't see a need - in a way the fact that I have 9 (soon to be 10) guns loaded seems almost borderline CRAZY GUN GUY! At least it would to many folks. :wow::shocked:

#4 Z71bill, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  5. blackwater P226

blackwater P226
    Expand Collapse

Only if you are paranoid,,,,,ONE is enough

6. dc2integra

dc2integra
    Expand Collapse

I take it you like mossberg 500 s. I only keep one of my shotguns loaded

#6 dc2integra, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  7. smitters

smitters
    Expand Collapse
    Love MY 35!!!!!

Yeah I kinda like Mossbergs...I do agree with the idea that too many could seem paranoid. I didn't go that far into my little rant lol. I must be paranoid becuase I have a loaded gun in every room of my apartment. All my handguns on display on my dresser, loaded:), a shotgun in the living room, a shotgun in the dining/ kitchen area and a handgun on the back of my toilet. I guess after having carried a gun full time for the last 5 years I get used to having one around. That and I don't ever want to get caught without one, especially in my own house. That is my castle and I win all battles there...maybe paranoid is correct.

#7 smitters, Dec 19, 2010
  8. smitters

smitters
    Expand Collapse
    Love MY 35!!!!!

Z71...I really don't mind being the crazy gun guy...makes me feel special lmao!!!!!!!

9. Z71bill

Z71bill
    Expand Collapse

It does sort of sneak up on you - :dunno:

Start off with one HD gun (in my case a 12 gauge I used for hunting)- then over time add a few more.

Live through a hurricane or two - makes a guy think about HD in a whole new way. :shocked:

Getting a CHL "forces" :upeyes: you into a pistol - then another and another and then

Add a carbine and a couple of rifles - and a few more guns just because you WANT them and then extra mags and a few cases of ammo and all of a sudden = CRAZY GUN GUY!

10. robinsok

robinsok
    Expand Collapse

No offense, but how does leaving a loaded shotgun in the living room and in the kitchen area help you win "all battles"? Seems to me that a loaded gun in any other area than where you are sleeping at night seems like it would give you a lot better chances of being shot with it if someone came in. I figure if you want a gun available at every second, carry one. I wouldn't leave loaded shotguns laying all over the house for an intruder to grab.

11. cj5mrt

cj5mrt
    Expand Collapse

I only have one 870 loaded. But it's backed up by my G23 and a KelTec sub2000 that uses the same mags as the 23. If 10rds of buckshot and 78rds of .40 aren't enough, we're just SOL.

Mike

12. Truckee

Truckee
    Expand Collapse
    Aging Goat

^^ My first thought when I read the OP.
    A well hidden HG in the basement is one thing. Stashing difficult to hide SGs all over the house is an invitation to be shot IMO.

13. 1 old 0311

1 old 0311
    Expand Collapse

+2 E-V-E-R-Y firearm I own is loaded.

14. VZ1600

VZ1600
    Expand Collapse

Yes.

I keep my Mossy SPX 930 (primary) at the bedside loaded with #1 buck and my Mossy 500A (backup) in a footchest loaded with low-recoil 00 buck. I also have my G34 within arms reach at all times as my fighting tool to make it to one of my shotguns.

#14 VZ1600, Dec 19, 2010
  15. Z71bill

Z71bill
    Expand Collapse

Even your .22 caliber stuff?

16. G23c

G23c
    Expand Collapse

nothing wrong with being prepared, your good for the Suarez 2-second rule. :supergrin:

17. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons
    Expand Collapse

Yes I do. And a few pistols are kept loaded along with a couple of AR's. Screw that fumbling around with a reload crap.

18. Glock27NY

Glock27NY
    Expand Collapse

2 Glocks 17/26 + 870 loaded. Everything else unloaded and in the gun safe.

19. Mr Wasabi

Mr Wasabi
    Expand Collapse
    Sushi Nazi

We have some kamikaze squirrels around here. You never know. :supergrin:

20. David Armstrong

David Armstrong
    Expand Collapse

I will only keep guns under my immediate control loaded. Loading everything in the gun vault or hiding a bunch of loaded guns all over the house seems rather counterproductive to me. So for me that means a loaded handgun of some type with me and a loaded long gun within easy access. Spare ammo for both long gun and handgun are kept with the long gun.