Do you have opinion of Bag vs Quilt for BOB?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Bolster, May 13, 2013.

1. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Sleeping bag or ultralight backpacking quilt for your BOB? (If you're not familiar with the latest survival quilts, check out Jacks R Better or GoLite among many others).

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Bolster, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    opinions on the 40sw as a self defense caliber and the glock 22 and 23 as a 40 caliber platform. Caliber Corner Saturday at 5:57 PM
    Massad what your opinion of the 40 caliber compared to the 9 mm and 45 acp? GATE Self-Defense Forum Saturday at 5:46 PM
    Your opinion of Green Slime, please. The Okie Corral Friday at 2:08 PM
    Opinions Sought: G30 gen 4 OR G30s General Glocking Sep 28, 2015
    12 year old girl opinion on Banking System The Okie Corral Sep 26, 2015

3. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

I am on board with a backpacking tent for one. Here in Florida sleeping on the ground is pretty dicey given the fire ants that abound so a small tent beats anything but a hammock and you can never count on finding two trees where you need them. In the summer we don't need anything to keep warm...

A good solo tent can be had for less than $50 that weighs about 3 pounds.

4. To save on weight and size I went with a 40 degree bag from REI and a surplus gore-tex bivy. If its super cold I can make up for it as I swap out clothing depending on the seasons. Also keep and ultralight hammock in there.
    #3 the monk, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
  5. Poncho liner and a Catoma Bednet
  6. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936
    Millennium Member

7. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist

The JRB quilts are very specialized pieces of equipment for the most part. Not many people are going to shell out ~$250 (low end) for what is essential an Army poncho liner unless they have the systems they are generally intended for.

I love my JRB Nest but if I didn't own a Hennessy there is NO way in hell you would get me to drop that kind of loot for BOB snivel gear.

8. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist

I'm not sure what part of Florida you are in.... but if you say so :wavey:
  9. Donn57

Donn57 Just me

Me, neither. My guess, tho, is that it is the part of Florida where they think palms are actually trees.
  10. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

My error, I'm sure that I will be able to find a pair of trees where I need them to be.

Maybe I am just more comfortable in the tent.
  11. kirgi08

kirgi08 Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

I grew up in Fla,I prefer off ground camping.Bugs/snakes,airflow ect.'08.
  12. You can usually set up those kind of hammocks using poles, sticks etc as a ground shelter.

And the fire ants are not that prolific. Just gotta use you eyes a little before bedding down. But I agree - I'd LOVE to have a killer Hennessy