close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Do you have multiples of your guns, and varied guns?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by poodleshooter1, Jul 24, 2011.

1. poodleshooter1

poodleshooter1

May 3, 2005
    I like both the AK and AR, and lean heavily toward the AR, though I have not tested it long enough to completely move away from the AK platform just yet. So at what point do I move away from it and do I move away from AK and invest in more AR? Or have one of both? Two of both? 10 of both?:supergrin::rofl:

2. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    I like both and own both.

Multiples of both.

:)

3. poodleshooter1

poodleshooter1

May 3, 2005
    :cool::wavey:

4. michael e

michael e

Nov 20, 2010
    Only gun I truely own 2 of is a M-1 carbine. I have a sks ak mini 30 mini 14 ar but all are diff, have multi 1911s but none are the exact same( SS vs blued, 5in vs 4 3.5 barrel.) If you want multi then fine. I just have so many diff guns I want havent hit the multi of same exact gun yet.

5. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I have one of each gun but multiple AR's in various configurations. That is the only gun I can imagine having more than one of because you can build each one so that it really is unique and only share the magazines.

6. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    I'm all about redundancy. I'd much rather have two quality AK's that can share mags, parts, and ammo. Having two different platforms in two different calibers means that you need a lot of support gear and ammo to be able to feed and repair both types. It also means that you need two different skill sets, because all the controls except the trigger are different.

7. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Not really... I have a Glock 34 and Glock 26. Not the same guns, but uses the same ammo and same magazines. Same holsters also work for them as long as it is the open bottom type, which is what I buy. Even magazine holders work for the most part except sometimes the short 10 round magazines don't go all the way in some magazine carriers.

Add to that the Kel-Tec or AR conversion that takes a Glock magazine and you are well on the way to diversified arms which takes only 1 support mechanism

8. thejellster05

thejellster05

Sep 13, 2007
    Kansas
    Mine are varied but I often think about selling and going to all Glocks, all .45 and getting better ARs.

9. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Aug 8, 2004
    Maine
    I have multiple ARs but all are set up differently for different purposes. I don't feel the need to have 2 of the exact same things. Although I have a pile of parts hanging around for them so I think I could rebuild them if need be.

Pistols I mainly have Glocks but different sizes and 2 calibers. My shotguns are all mossbergs.

Then there is the pile of misc guns...

10. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

Nov 18, 2003
    Bad-Lands Ranch
    I have two kids.

There are some guns I want each to have.

So yes and yes (and in a few cases I am not ready to give mine up just yet).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  11. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    I'd say when it's recognized as a "want to" and not a need to. A guy with an AR or two is equally equipped as a guy with an AK or two imo, and vice versa.

If he wants both, great; but I'd think it'd be better to be very-well set up in either world than 'kind of' set up in both worlds.

12. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    Although I agree with you, I think there is more too it.

There is collecting and there is S&P.
    There is want and there is need.
    There is also learning what you like, vs. just sticking with the first item you get.
    There is also the notion that every time I sell a gun I lose money.

For collecting, collect everything you want and can afford.

For S&P, 1 type of rifle and a backup is probably all that is needed. AR, AR, SKS, G3, UZI.....I think the operator matters more than the gun.

For want, I have been suffering from the wants. The best thing to do is put a month of three delay in your plan. I will not get my next want until....pick a goal. By then, your wants will have passed.

Learning about different guns. I think there is some benefit to learn how to shoot all the major platforms. I was lucky enough to have a range where people let other people shoot a few rounds. Now where we pay by the hour, we don't even talk to each other at the range. I assume it it worthwhile to find ranges where you can rent guns. This way you don't have to buy a gun, find out it is not the best and then sell it to by the next one.

13. wjv

wjv

Jan 17, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Except for two M1 Carbines, I do not have any identical guns. Except for the .444 Marlin, I do have at least 2 guns for each caliber that I have ammo for.

14. I have three grandchildren, also have 3-AR's, 3-AK's, 3- Glock's, 3-CZ's, etc..

15. poodleshooter1

poodleshooter1

May 3, 2005
    Let me rephrase the question. Is it better to have 2 AR's and 2 AK's or 4 of either one.

Two is one and one is none, so that explains why at least two of each. But is the guy with four of one or the other better off than the guy with two of each? Different guns for different SHTF.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  16. SilverCity

SilverCity

Mar 9, 2007
    The Old West
    Four AKs in four different calibers: 308, 7.62x39, 223, 5.45x39 will cover most ammo contingencies.

SC

17. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    I think that if you use the 4x redundancy as an excuse to stock spare parts, mags and ammo it is good. Likewise, if all of your training is on one platform, you win. Multiple platforms is only an advantage if they fill significantly different roles. I don't think that's true of the AK and AR.

18. Huntersun2

Huntersun2

Jan 21, 2009
    Redundency rules....go narrow and deep (2-3 of each) with part's/mags and ammo for each plateform, then add specific weaponary as needed.

19. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

Mar 1, 2005
    Old Dominion
    2 is 1, yep a primary and a backup of ALL SHTF weps.