close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do You "Get" Duck Dynasty?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GLWyandotte, Aug 14, 2013.

1. cyphertext

cyphertext

Jan 6, 2004
    Dallas
    At first I didn't care for it, thought it was too scripted. Then I saw where one of the characters, Jase, characterized the show as a sit com with real people. After that, I guess I got it, because I enjoy it. I find it humorous. My favorite episode is when they go frog hunting at the country club. :supergrin:

2. I have a 12 year old son and it's difficult for us to watch tv together. We like Gator Boys and Call of the Wildman and Duck Dynasty because they are simple, safe, and entertaining when we want to crash on the couch on a Sunday afternoon or Saturday night and be buddies.

A lot of parents try to make sure their kids are always busy with activities and entertained 24/7, but some time doing nothing together seems to keep us a close family. Shows without an agenda or full of political, drug, or sexual "humor" are tough to find. Duck Dynasty fills that order pretty well. If my son and I were at Bass Pro Shops and saw the Robertsons I would be thrilled to shake their hands.

Do I "get" it?...it's not on when I'm home alone, but I appreciate that I don't have to worry about what is said or what message is sent when I am not home alone...and if you don't overthink it, you might get a laugh out of it.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013

3. *ASH*

*ASH*

Jan 12, 2008
    barbed
    its better then all the other crap shows, the one thing that really impressed me was WHEN THEY WERE RENEWING THEIR CONTRACT THE CHANNEL WANTED THEM TO CUT OUT THE TABLE SCENES AND PRAYERS . they said no and if they did not like it they were sure another channel would pick it up .

if you watch it like a sitcom its OK. if you watch thinking its real you obviously dont get it

4. BAILIFF

BAILIFF Piece Officer

Oct 14, 2006
    I'm over here now.
  5. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

Jan 25, 2005
    I think it's great.

6. Come on down here to West Monroe and set a spell. We'll see if you get it then. :)

7. JLeòdhas

JLeòdhas Alba gu bràth!!

Jul 28, 2012
    Alabama Highlands
    Looking forward to the new season.

8. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

Jan 25, 2005
    Up til a couple weeks ago I had never been to LA. Went to LSU campus for some training. Never realized where Monroe was compared to Baton Rouge til I googled it. For some reason I always pictured it down near the bottom of the state. I liked it down there.

9. Tvov

Tvov

Sep 30, 2000
    CT,USA
    Nope, I don't "get it". I got a DVD of it for a gift last Christmas, and watched the pilot and first regular show. Just don't have much interest in watching anymore.

I don't really understand why a seemingly successful family, from what I see of their "business", would want to be on a "reality show"??

And speaking of business... from what little I saw as to how they "run" their "business", I wouldn't even consider buying a Duck Commander duck call.

For people who enjoy it, great! As I understand it, there is little to no swearing and they actually show prayer at the dinner table. That is rather shocking for TV programming now a days!

10. I have a different DD T-shirt for everyday of the week.
    I absolutely love the show!

They are salt of the earth people who give thanks to God.
    They also portray gun owners in a positive light.There's never a firearm far from them and that makes an important statement to the general public.

Hopefully,Willie really will run for congress.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  11. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

Apr 8, 2004
    SWPA sticks
    Tried to watch it, I failed. Can't do that to myself

12. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  13. *ASH*

*ASH*

Jan 12, 2008
    barbed
    dont hate the player ,hate the team .:rofl::rofl:

little trivia . PHIL was a damn good college quarterback who could have gone pro but didnt . he beat out terry bradshaw on the team back in the day .

14. DocCasualty

DocCasualty

Apr 12, 2010
    Northern Michigan
    Apparently you don't understand too much about "business" then. They're making a killing and that's what business is all about. Not only has their game call business continued to grow, probably catapulted further because of the show, they're also capitalizing on other marketing spinoffs from the show itself.

I've said for years that I can't stand reality TV shows and that otherwise is still the case. Was at some friends a year or so ago who said I/we should check it out and flipped it on, despite my protests. I found it entertaining and still do. Don't watch it regularly and doubt I've seen even half of the shows to date, but I think it's funny. Sure it's scripted and contrived but as somebody quoted above, it's a sitcom with real people who aren't actors and hence, actually has a reality component to it. The characters are very consistent in their portrayals and frankly remind me of plenty of good old boys I've met over the years.

I'm sure it is not for everybody but what is? They actually have a very interesting story, have really created a multi-million dollar business before they entered reality TV, from all accounts are genuine people who are something like they have chosen to portray themselves on TV and have a fun, positive message. They strike me as more "real" than "Housewives of ___", the Kardashians or just about any of these other reality shows I have some awareness of and if any of these other people have actually accomplished something of worth otherwise, it's certainly off my radar.

15. Uh...no, that would be the Kenyan...:dunno:

16. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    I get it. It's an act. Most people I talk to who like it think its real. Still it's funny at times

17. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Mar 20, 2003
    Land of the toothless!
    Not my thing. And reality tv in general really isn't my thing. I'll watch Naked & Afraid and Survivorman, but that's about all the reality tv I can tolerate anymore.

I have a coworker that is infatuated with Duck Dynasty. He tries to talk like, dress like em and has even tried growing his beard out with no success at all. I even had to tell him to quit calling me Jack.

18. BEER

BEER bad example

May 2, 2006
    Dayton, Texas

groovy! you've figured out the exact problem that is causing our society to crumble and fail. nevermind our current president, or our apathetic society, or the frivolous law suits going on or the fact that the fat peaople carts at walmart are rapidly matching the regular grocery baskets. we'll also exclude the fact that people are more worried about what ammo is available at walmart than what their kids are playing or watching on tv.

we have white folks whining about "unenploymnent" that are too fragile to dig a ditch for 50$ a day. people whine about illegal aliens but are hiring them literally by the truck loads to mow their 10x10 yard, or do their roofs.

but you're right, it's "dancing with the stars" or "survivor" that is ruining this country.

19. *ASH*

*ASH*

Jan 12, 2008
    barbed

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

20. RetMil

RetMil

May 23, 2013
    Near Contentment
    No TV here. One of the ladies I work with calls me
    "Uncle Si." Not sure what it means but it can't be good.