Glock Talk banner

Do You Feel "Undergunned" carrying the Snubbie?

82K views 444 replies 225 participants last post by  tomrkba 
#1 ·
I have heard people say the snubbie is very convenient to carry but they felt undergunned while relying on it alone. When you consider your lifestyle-- where you go in your personal and business affairs, is this really an issue?

I make a point of staying out of situations and places I know have a credible and probable likelihood of a confrontation with criminals. Just about all of us have an area in town you want to stay out of. Having carried a gun both in patrol and as a detective for 30 years I don't feel undergunned with the J-Frame. I would have had to be deaf and blind not to get a "street sense" in all that time. I wasn't sitting behind a desk. The snubbie suits me just fine now that I am retired. I practice often with it and am fast and accurate with it. Fast in shooting and in reloading. Nothing unique there, just a matter of practice.

How many of you feel comfortable with just the snubbie when you go out and how many of you feel undergunned?

#154 · (Edited)
A snubbie can't protect you ...you must have a 50 Cal. BMG..or a Missle strike ..If you are approached by Thugs...in a back ally...call in a air strike ..you can use your cell phone to call in the coordinates...next thing you know Sidewinders will take out the block...
Yep Snubbies don't work..
Nope a 357 Mag. with a 125gr. HP bullet scooting at over 1100 fps ..will simply bounce off a attacker..maybe leave a powder burn ..thats about it

Now if you have a piece of semiautomatic tupperware..you can take out a tank.....nuthin like plastic.....nope nuthin

#156 · (Edited)
For me... I would much rather have my Glock19 with me all the time. But, situations dictate otherwise. If I can conceal my 19 I will, but in the summer heat, which means less clothing, for work, pants and tucked in shirt (polo) it really limits ones ability to conceal on the belt.

I have tried tucking and IWB with my Glock 26 and while it conceals, its a beeotch to get to in any kind of hurry. The thing is BURRIED by a shirt, and is cinched down by a good gun belt. I hate to admit it, but when you need your gun in a SD scenario, you need it like 30 seconds ago...

To me, this is where the cliche "software over hardware" comes into play. I would much rather be able to walk down a inner city street with my hand on my LCR in my pocket than a Glock pinned into my wardwrobe. Now in the cooler months its a sport coat and a Glock 19. But gues what, I will still have my snub on me b/c it may still be easier to access first in that situation. Its all about tactics sometimes when you have to make the compromise.

Summer its an LCR in the strongside pocket, and one on my ankle with a speedstrip back up just in case I need it.

I am confident in the caliber of .38 spl, just wished it offered up a few more rounds w/o the reload... I realize however, that like most things, nothing is perfect...hence the constant analysis of compromise :)

-Drew

#157 ·
For me... I would much rather have my Glock19 with me all the time. But, situations dictate otherwise. If I can conceal my 19 I will, but in the summer heat, which means less clothing, for work, pants and tucked in shirt (polo) it really limits ones ability to conceal on the belt.

I have tried tucking and IWB with my Glock 26 and while it conceals, its a beeotch to get to in any kind of hurry. The thing is BURRIED by a shirt, and is cinched down by a good gun belt. I hate to admit it, but when you need your gun in a SD scenario, you need it like 30 seconds ago...

To me, this is where the cliche "software over hardware" comes into play. I would much rather be able to walk down a inner city street with my hand on my LCR in my pocket than a Glock pinned into my wardwrobe. Now in the cooler months its a sport coat and a Glock 19. But gues what, I will still have my snub on me b/c it may still be easier to access first in that situation. Its all about tactics sometimes when you have to make the compromise.

Summer its an LCR in the strongside pocket, and one on my ankle with a speedstrip back up just in case I need it.

I am confident in the caliber of .38 spl, just wished it offered up a few more rounds w/o the reload... I realize however, that like most things, nothing is perfect...hence the constant analysis of compromise :)

-Drew
Good post.
Sometimes it's all about getting the 'drop', something attainable with a pocket gun like the LCR or J frame.
All discussion about capacity/firepower is relevant, but pales next to the importance of being able to get to your weapon, and having one in the first place...a HUGE advantage over the average Joe.

#158 ·
Undergunned ? it depends on the defensive scenario that you are likely to encounter.

Notice I said "defensive". Some posts here I consider to be from an attacker´s stance. Personally, I´m never going going on a SWAT mission or the like, and many LEO´s-- rightfully so--view their carry needs as such.

So for casual urban personal protection I don´t feel undergunned with my 340PD. I will be in disadvantage, my assailant will have made up his mind to attack me before I make up my mind to use deadly force on him. He has the luxury to fire indiscriminately, I have to watch out for bystanders and get a clear shot--I probably wont be making many of them for very long. And I have other options (get the hell out) if I can.

For field use and if I contemplate an ambush while driving in a rural area, or if I see myself a target of multiple assailants out in the open with few people around, and that somehow I might be trapped and forced into gunfighting, I´ll take at least my Glock 31 with +4 base clips and more mags to spare with me.

#160 ·

-Drew
You do realize an LCP only holds a couple more rounds topped off than most snubbies right?

#162 ·
I do. But I'm confused by your post. I like the LCR better than the LCP (which I have too btw). I'd rather have 5 38+p's than 7 380's

Drew
My apologies, it seems I misunderstood your post. When you stated you wished it had more rounds, I interpreted it as you favoring the LCP because it carried more rounds. I had LCP on the brain from a thread right before I read this one, and it was late.

:wavey:

#165 ·
Admitted periods of inexcusable laziness aside, I've been carrying off-duty guns of various calibers and capacities for 22 years; full size 9mm in fanny packs, .380 autos on the ankle, short .45s in belt slide or small of the back holsters, etc.

At the end of the day, the weapon that most often accompanies me when I set out into the Big Bad World of shopping carts, restaurants, church pews and psychopaths is a 5-shot snubbie and a speedloader.

"Beware of the man who owns one gun and practices with it."

#166 ·
I do not feel undergunned....

Just sold off my G27 and starting carrying my Ruger SP101...

Full-house .357 magnums, in a gun designed for up-close-and-personal, will serve my needs.

I do not carry a speed-loader... too bulky...

I do carry a couple speed-strips, but there ain't nothing "speedy" about them...
I have no illusions about reloading "under fire" with a speed strip (having practiced and seen how clumsy it can be under stress), but still like to have a reload at hand.... in case I can do need more than five shots, and somehow can get a reload done.... or perhaps to reload immediately after a shooting...

For my self-defense purposes (small town, rarely out late at night, low crime rate..) the snubby revolver serves it's purpose.

#167 ·
I do not feel undergunned....

Just sold off my G27 and starting carrying my Ruger SP101...

Full-house .357 magnums, in a gun designed for up-close-and-personal, will serve my needs.

I do not carry a speed-loader... too bulky...

I do carry a couple speed-strips, but there ain't nothing "speedy" about them...
I have no illusions about reloading "under fire" with a speed strip (having practiced and seen how clumsy it can be under stress), but still like to have a reload at hand.... in case I can do need more than five shots, and somehow can get a reload done.... or perhaps to reload immediately after a shooting...

For my self-defense purposes (small town, rarely out late at night, low crime rate..) the snubby revolver serves it's purpose.

+1. I don't hang at crack houses, or biker bars. My odds are pretty low.

#168 ·
When I had my 442, I felt confident in the caliber, .38 Special, but never got the warm & fuzzies about just having 5 of them. I'd prefer something like a Colt DS.

#169 ·
Since the wife recently commandeered my PM9 and gave me her 442 with CT, I'm back to carrying a snub.

It's been a transition for her, but after a year of various times at the range, it's clear she does better with the PM9.

I can shoot the 442 with Lazer fairly well and I'm getting to really see the positive side of the Laser, especially compared to snubbie sights and the 442 in a DeSantis Nemesis does draw a bit quicker from my strong side pocket when compared to the PM9.

However, I really felt better "armed" with the PM9 stoked with 7 Gold dots with another 7 ready for a quick reload.

With the PM9 I can shoot it more accurately and 7 has got to better then 5 and the faster reload will always go to the magazine, at least for me anyway.

I'm carrying the 442 mostly out of nostalgia, snubs have given me warm fuzzies for many years...but at the end of the day and for my personal preferences it doesn't beat the beat the PM9, I'm not in a great big hurry but I'll probably be purchasing another PM9 sometime soon.

I know a CT can be installed on the PM9 but I haven't determined yet if it's a workable concept for pocket carry.

But, I'm not sure I'll sell the 442 with CT, it's still a unique and nice gun to have around.

#170 ·
I have posted in this column before but, I thought I might add an update today. Snubs are my favorite Guns. I carry Semi-autos all so. I always carry Two Guns. when carrying Two Snubs it is normally 357s. either Two Five Shooters or One Five Shooter and a Seven Shooter. I feel Ten or more shots off 357 will take care of any problem I may encounter. I carry reloads all so. If I had to be in Gang infested neighborhoods I my feel the need to carry my Two Glocks but, I try not to go there. I have never herd any one in my area that has ever needed to use their gun let alone multiple high cap Guns.

#172 ·
Most days my main carry is a 649 loaded with Speer .38+P 135 grain Gold Dots and one spare speed strip with the same loads. This rides just behind my right hip in a Galco Speed Master. And no, I don't feel undergunned or it wouldn't be there.

In honesty though I have to admit there is also a KelTec P3AT in my left pocket in a Don Hume pocket holster and a spare mag for it behind my left hip on my belt. The P3AT is currently loaded with Federal HydraShoks, (though it may soon be Corbon +P loads with all copper DPX bullets).

When the 649 doesn't seem enough it's likely to be replaced by a S&W 296 chambered for .44 Special and loaded with 200 grain Gold Dot Speers. But I guess then that would still be a snubby!:winkie:

#173 ·
Carrying two guns just doesn't work for me and if I'm going hip carry it's going to be a bigger gun...if one of my 1911's in on my hip, the pocket pistol usually stays home or safely stashed.

Often the 1911 will come off and the pocket pistol goes back into the pocket, just because it's an easier carry.

Not saying one way is better then another, just my personal preference and each to his own...

#175 · (Edited)
I went to my local gun store today to buy a G26. I own a G19 but didn't think I would carry it as much as I would a G26 because of its size. Talking with the owner, he says his primary carry weapon is a snubbie. He said "Look at us! It is April 4th and we are still wearing our jackets and coats. I don't want to have to be digging through layers of clothes to get to my holstered semi when I can have one hand on my briefcase and another on my snubbie." That made me go "hmmm." then he went on "What are you going to do when you are wearing shorts or sweats and want to head out to the 7-11 for a paper? Are you going to make sure you put on your pants with a belt and your IWB holster? Probably not and now you are unarmed. With my snubbie, it lives in my pocket, it is always with me, no matter WHAT I am wearing."

Life change. Needless to say, I didn't buy the G26. My head is spinning and I am looking at Ruger LCRs tonight on the internet.

Edited - No more head spin. Today I take delivery of a Ruger LCR with Crimson Trace grips. I read story after story of people sounding exactly like my gun store buddy and now I am sold.

#176 ·
No matter what is on or in my belt, at least half the year it is under a jacket or sweat shirt. This is when the Snub in my pocket is most comforting. I can have my hand on it and ready to go. I guess my main gun is the 357LCR in my pocket and my backup, today, is a G26 with a G19 Mag in it as my IWB gun.