close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

do you drive a supercharged or turbocharged CAR?

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by 97guns, Sep 28, 2005.

1. 97guns

97guns

Jan 9, 2005
    find me
    my current car is a pumped out vw 1.8 TURBO thats putting down 196 hp and 237 ft. tq. to the ground. my previous car was a pontiac grand prix gtp supercharged that i left stock and i must say that i CAN'T drive a normally aspirated car any longer. the supercharger had a smooth power delivery that just kept pulling and my turbo really throws you back in your seat when it spools up. ive ridden in a friends infinity g35 with around 300 hp and the throttle sensation is nothing like a forced induction car. i dont think i can live without forced induction. thoughts/comments/perspectives?

2. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

Mar 1, 2003
    AZ
    No, I prefer having more cylinders.

3. c5367

c5367 Esq.

Aug 1, 2003
    Indiana!
    My previous ride was a 1.8T as well. It was stock except for a short shifter. surprisingly enough, the 180hp 1.8T feels ever-so-slightly more sporty than the 270hp 3.2 VTEC in my new TL.
    I think the difference is the superwide torque curve that forced induction engines can provide. The VW hits its torque peak at 1950, and that peak extends into the 4k range without dropping at all. The VTEC on the other hand is admittedly a rev happy engine. Until you get it on the cam, it's typical Honda smooth.

4. Ron3

Ron3

Sep 6, 2001
    Florida
    Yes I do!

I'm pretty hooked on it too. My next ride will have to be much lighter if doesn't have a power-adder!

Ron3

5. Swanny

Swanny Raconteur

Nov 15, 2001
    NE Ohio
    Yep. I drive a 2001 Audi A4 1.8T. Great car, but I still need to get the chip for it. It is 180HP stock, but a chip with a 93 octane program will get me closer to 210HP. Not a bad gain in power for $500.

6. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    My Lotus Esprit has a 3.5L twin turbo V8. Turbo lag is not noticable and I love its power delivery. I had a Porsche 944 turbo S a few years ago and that suffered from serious lag and still didn't bother me. Lag or not, I love turbocharged cars. That said, I have had some powerful NA cars and enjoyed them as well.

7. ColoradoPacker

ColoradoPacker What's a Glock?

Feb 9, 2004
    Colorado Rockies
    At a mile high altitude where I live you need a turbo.

I have a 2004 Subaru STi with 300hp/ftlbs and it ran a 13.4 @ 101 at Bandimere speedway once, stock but emptied out of everything. That's about 0.4 seconds and 4mph slower than sea-level. No noticable turbo lag, and good torque (although nothing compaired to a 5.0 SC Mustang I had a ride in once).

8. Asha'man

Asha'man eat the eat!

Jan 13, 2004
    Denver
    I'll be driving one soon, assuming I can ever get room in my buddy's garage for the motor swap. Ford 2.3 Turbo, SOHC, T3, huge FMIC, 255lph pump, 35# injectors, boost controller, 3" exhaust, etc. Basic turbocar mods. I would like to see at least 250rwhp and well upwards of 300ft/lbs once it's running and tuned, and I don't think that's unreasonable. It's going into my '92 Stang.

Brian

9. Asha'man

Asha'man eat the eat!

Jan 13, 2004
    Denver
    CP - looks like you can drive pretty well. Most of the STi's I see at Bandi are running high 14's-low 15's. :)

Brian

10. ColoradoPacker

ColoradoPacker What's a Glock?

Feb 9, 2004
    Colorado Rockies
    It's all in the launch. Get the RPM too low and it can bog, too high and the stock cluch smokes. I've seen Stock WRX's run 15.0 at bandimere with th right driver.

My previous 2000 Impreza RS with aftermarket turbo made 233whp @ 10 psi on 95 octane on a dynapack in Broomfield (about what an STi puts to the wheels at the dyno in Parker), and I still ran a 13.7 @ 97 on 3 cylinders where it couldn't make over 8 psi after #3 piston let go...

11. streeter69

streeter69 This is Kewl

Nov 25, 2001
    I like annoying people.
    I will be driving one when I get money together for a KB:cool:

12. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

May 11, 2001
    Farmington, MI
    My old Talon would run 12.9's @ 108MPH running on 110 octane and it would do mid to high 13's on 93.

Beyond that, the coil overs, camber plates and stabilizer bars made it pull .98 G's on the skid pad with street tires.

Fun car, but at 160,00 miles, it was needing too much work to keep up with. Buying a house was more important than making it an all out toy and not a daily driver so it had to go for something newer.

13. dbrowne1

dbrowne1 Senior Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Virginia
    I've got a VW 1.8T as well, with lots of mods. Haven't dynoed it on the current setup, but similar setups are around 210-220whp, 260-280wtq. (K04 turbo, chip, 3" exhaust, boost controller, and some other tweaks).

And it still gets 32mpg on the highway. ;f

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Forced induction is for companies who don't have real mechanical engineers to design a good engine.

15. dbrowne1

dbrowne1 Senior Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Virginia
    Right...;Q Those Germans have no clue how to design engines. 5 valves per cylinder and a small, low inertia turbo = 6 cylinder torque curve with 4 cylinder efficiency.

Let me clue you in - a 1.8T econobox, with a $500 chip, can match or beat a stock or lightly modified 4.6 or 5.0 Mustang in the 1/4 mile, last for twice as many miles, and use 30% less fuel.

16. 97guns

97guns

Jan 9, 2005
    find me
    yep i really cant say enough about this little car i have now. mustang owners really hate it when i pull on them. its been every day driver reliable and i get around 27 mpg with city/hiway driving

17. pnarq5

pnarq5

Feb 11, 2005
    Ohio
    fnf has a point. Why no turbos on ferraris? BMW top engineers consider turbos and superchargers as cheating! Porsche has only two turbo, the Turbo and the GT2(I do not count the stupid suv). The top Porsches have no turbo. lamborghini, no turbos.
    Turbo are fun. They help give extra power when the money is not there. I enjoy them. They make a car feel faster. Take two cars that are the same speed, one turbo and the other not. The turbo will always feel faster.
    However, the best engines in the world are naturally aspirated.

18. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Let me clue YOU in, my BMW inline 6 is silky smooth with power delivery and has plenty of oomph. All without forced induction.;Q

No lag, no extra pieces, no chip, no refuel mapping, no cool down period before shutting off engine. Just good old fashioned engineering...

Forced induction is the easy way out for making power.

19. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

May 11, 2001
    Farmington, MI
    Not the easy way out, just cheaper. Why should we have to pay $40k for a car that makes 260 HP out of a 6 cylinder when we can pay $26k and make the same and get better mileage. Not all of us want pure refinement, some just want power and grip.

Your Z4 will get spanked pretty hard by the Japanese AWD factory turbo cars and for less money. Sure it's not BMW, but for the money, they perform pretty darn well.

BTW, Porsche would never consider turbo charging the Boxster because it would start to perform too close to it's higher end cars. They have the technology to make a turbo model like they did with the 944, they just don't want to see people mod them and beat up on the 911.

Cars are all fun, but for a nice starting platform, a turbo car is a nice way to go.

20. dbrowne1

dbrowne1 Senior Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Virginia

I've driven lots of BMWs. Nice cars, but notably lacking in the "oomph" department until you get to the M cars.

There's no lag to speak of on the VAG 1.8T. It's at full boost, even when chipped, at well under 2500rpm. It is nothing like a SAAB or a DSM turbo. If I mash the gas when it's already moving and in gear, it's fully spooled in literally 1 second.

The chip goes in (or gets flashed via the diagnostic port) and you forget it. There's no tuning to be done unless you are neurotic and want to squeeze the last 3hp out of it. It's a water-cooled turbo and you don't need to cool down or use a turbo timer. I pulled my stock turbo after 50K miles, with no cool downs, and the bearing and oil lines were spotless.

And chainsaws are the easy way to cut trees. I guess some people still like axes...