close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Do you count your shots when shooting?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by X-Centric, Nov 11, 2011.

1. I think it’s very important to know how many shots you fired and how many rounds remain in your firearm whether you’re practicing or in a live fire situation. When I practice I count my shots. I know I have 5-shots with my LCR and my SP-101, 6-shots with my speed 6, 10 or 17-shots with my SR9C (depending on which magazine is in), 15-shots with my Glock 19 and 20-shots with my Mini-14. I think it’s a good habit to know how many rounds remain before I reload or run for cover. Do any of you practice the same way?

2. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    Yes. I keep track of how many rounds I've fired out of the cylinder or mag.

3. Shark1007

Shark1007

Jul 17, 2011
    orlando
    Hell, I count everything. The Rifleman fired 12 shots from an 11 shot 44/40 rifle in the opening scene. I count shots on cop shows, count my own, count ceiling tiles in lobbies, love counting.

4. DaneA

DaneA

Mar 7, 2011
    Chattanooga
    Not as a focal point of practice. I have an idea in my head but if I stop and someone asks they will likely get a 5-6 or 6-7 type answer. I know when I get past 10 because the slide is locked back :tongue out:

5. Search

Search

Feb 20, 2009
    I do. It keeps my mind focused. I once thought I should break the habit before I end up in a firefight and realize I'm counting shots instead of focusing on the target. Had an instructor tell me once the Rangers count theirs so they always know how many shots are left. Not sure how true.

6. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

Sep 10, 2001
    SC
    I doubt in a real encounter, you'll count your shots. Simply way too many things going on if you have to put more than three downrange.

You may count them at the time of fire but after the event you'll most likely have so much going thru your head, round count will fuzz out and you're mind will forcus on other moments of the fight.

Besides if it is necessary, forensics whiil determine the shots fired.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  7. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    Agreed, you will probably not be in the counting mindset if you have to use your gun defensively. Most people interviewed after a shooting are way off when asked how many rounds they fired.

8. pipedreams

pipedreams Member

Feb 19, 2011
    S. E. Iowa
    Counting your shots is important if you can discipline yourself that much. In most personal defense cases you will never shoot enough to change magazines but it is a good practice. Some years ago I took a advanced shooting course and we practiced over and over counting our shots and changing magazines before the last round locked backed the slide. We also practiced with pump shotguns and we were taught to keeps track of our shots and shove more rounds into the gun while on the move. Don't know if I could do it under stress now but a good practice.

9. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Jan 20, 1999
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Count.....ONE ah ha ha, TWO ah ha ha Like the COUNT on Seseme Street?

seriously I do because I have been doing it subconsiously forever.

10. Four_T_Five

Four_T_Five

Oct 30, 2005
    USA
    Training - Yes. When the RO or instructor says, "when the targets turn, run to the 15yd line, draw and fire 12 rounds to include a mandatory reload."... you had better only shoot 12 or you will get DQ'd.

Actual Shooting - No. It is not realistic. 99.9% of the world cannot do it successfully anyway. Oh, and then there's the point that if you are in a shooting... you have plenty of much more important things to occupy your brain with than counting rounds.

11. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    I agree, and while I generally count when I go to the range I don't usually put enough emphasis on the importance of this issue.

12. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

Jul 23, 2004
    Israel
    Yes, including when firing machine guns.

13. usmc4641

usmc4641 NRA member

Apr 4, 2007
    Connecticut
    I've been in firefights. I never counted rounds. Either the bolt locked back, or if I was getting ready to do an entry I would do a hot reload. When bullets are going both ways, there are far more important things to worry about. Being able to reload quickly is more important than being able to count to 30 or 15.

14. Schrag4

Schrag4

May 21, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    Count me in the group that counts somewhat subconsciously but thinks they should probably stop. I find when I'm doing IDPA - I'm pretty new to it - I actually stop counting total rounds since I have to count rounds on each target, and I have to do it as quickly as possible.

I truly believe if I ever had to use my gun in self defense, unless I only fired one shot (or zero), I probably wouldn't know how many I fired.

I always count rounds fired on TV shows and movies, though, without thinking about it. They usually fire an unrealistically high number of rounds. It's refreshing to see a reload after someone fires the exact capacity of some specific weapon.

15. G22DaD

G22DaD

Sep 16, 2010
    Goodlettsville, TN
    I try to keep track of my shots. But, honestly even in training, I lose track of what shot I'm on. I really want to do IDPA, but I figure I'd just get DQ'd in the first stage b-cuz I'll shoot too many @ a certain target.

But, who knows... maybe that's what I need to get better. But, in a combat situation, I think it's more important to focus on surviving than keeping track of rounds shot. ...Just me talking, though.

16. michael e

michael e

Nov 20, 2010
    Some times. But usually just with my revolvers. With SA I will load some mags to diff amounts, makes you pay atteniot to slide being locked back on empty.

17. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Yes.

I have at times had to count my shots during courses of fire in order to do it correctly. The habit stuck. If I'm just punching paper at the range the counting happens whether I think about it or not.

I am well aware that counting is not to be trusted if you ever have to fire in earnest, though.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011