close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Do you catalog you firearms?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by brausso, Mar 22, 2012.

1. brausso

brausso

Mar 7, 2010
    Puget Sound
    My collection is somewhere in the mid 20's and will continue to grow. About half of my purchases are from a LGS or online with FFL transfer. My others are purchased FTF and don't really have record of ownership. I am not required to register in my state. Just in case something crazy were to happen, I was thinking of cataloging my collection. Basically just taking pictures of the firearm along with the serial number.

Will this even hold any ground if I ever had to make an insurance claim? What do others do?

2. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    Not a bad idea for insurance purposes.
    I have a bunch of guns, too.

3. rhino673

rhino673

Feb 7, 2010
    I don't but my father does. He has been collecting military rifles since the 80's and it is very interesting to see what he paid for them 20+ years ago then see the value of them today.
    I should probably start cataloging my stuff too.

4. ChicagoZman

ChicagoZman

Jun 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Several years ago I made an excel spreadsheet showing Make, Model, Caliber, Serial #, Finish, Barrel Length, Date of Acquisition and Blue Book value for each of my guns. Update it when I add to my accumulation and update the values every couple of years.

Computer gets backed up regularly so I have the file in two locations. This takes me about five minutes every time I buy a gun and should allow me to file a decent insurance claim if I ever have a loss. It also allows me at a glance to see when I got that rifle I just realized was in the back of my safe.

5. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I have the serial #, make, model, and caliber of every gun I own written down.

Will come in handy if my house ever gets broken into or catches fire.

6. ijacek

ijacek

Jun 21, 2008
    FL
    There is an app for that - "Gun Log +P" clear and easy interface, there is also an option for ammo and the accessories. Once complete, it can be emailed.

In addition, I do keep all of the receipts.

7. MNSurvival

MNSurvival EDC Enthusiast

Feb 20, 2012
    Minneapolis
    I was thinking about using gun log +p - do you like it?

8. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I also use Excel.

It works great.

9. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010
    Yep, what he said

:50cal:

10. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Jul 10, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I maintain an EXCEL spreadsheet with all of my firearms (up to 176 right now). Info recorded includes: Manufacturer, Model, Year, Code (if applicable), Caliber, Serial Number, and Origin. Since Jan of last year, I have maintained a NRA Firearms Record Book of each purchase. I also have my Requisition and Disposition record Sheet for my C&R purchases.

11. waynokarider01

waynokarider01

Sep 29, 2009
    Having the serial number can make the difference in getting your firearms back if they are ever stolen. My brother had one of his guns stolen during a break in. They put the serial number on the police report. About 6 months later, they raided a house and found his gun. He was shocked when he got the call to come pick it up at the sheriff's office. Its very worthwhile, insurance or not.

12. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    That's basically what I have, James. My latest Ruger Blackhawk makes 178. I plan on picking up another 7 to 10 this year yet.

13. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Jul 10, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    That is about what I figure as well Brian. I have begun concentrating on my ARs again.

14. craig19

craig19

Aug 13, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I have an excel spreadsheet, just in case they get stolen.

15. SigFTW

SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
    TX
    I need to do the same thing, I also need to get another safe :crying:

16. AZ Jeff

AZ Jeff

Aug 20, 2003
    middle of AZ
    I have an Excel spreadsheet with make, model, SN, caliber. In addition, I scan copies of any receipts if bought from the LGS, and I photo the arm, plus a detailed photo of the SN, if needed.

All of this is on a CD in PDF format, in a safety deposit box, and at home in a fireproof safe.

17. cphilip

cphilip

Oct 17, 2006
    Clemson SC
    Sorry... I don't have any firearms... well... anymore... I just hang around you guys cause your cool and all that.

18. SigFTW

SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
    TX
    All this talk about record-keeping makes me think of all the things I need to catalog, my swards, cowboy boots and guns. :wow::wow:

19. bustedknee

bustedknee Curmudgeon

Aug 1, 2001
    Wythe County, VA
    I also list the current value, in case something happens to me my wife will know how to price them at the funeral, er... I mean the garage sale.:animlol: