Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Do you carry a voice or video recorder in case of an encounter with LE?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by RussP, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Yes, I OC and I carry a recorder all the time.

0 vote(s)
  2. I OC, but only carry a recorder when I go where I believe I might encounter LE.

0 vote(s)
  3. No, I OC but do not carry a recorder.

0 vote(s)
  4. I conceal carry, but still carry a recorder.

0 vote(s)
  5. I conceal carry and do not carry a recorder.

0 vote(s)
  6. I carry a recorder but not for for that reason

0 vote(s)
  1. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    This topic was discussed briefly in another thread.

I made it a poll so you could respond anonymously if you want.

2. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Heart of Dixie
    Nope, but I've thought about getting one.

I don't even have a smartphone, but the possibility of being jammed up for doing nothing has me concerned.

What is the old saying: "Those with the most, have the most to lose."
  3. tomcon

Aug 18, 2005
    I conceal carry and do not carry a recorder.

Indiana requires a license to carry (LTC) if you want to carry off of private property. I just assume you will be asked for ID if your handgun is seen. If the Officer does not approve of open carry I will comply to reasonable requests and file a complaint later.

I do open carry when hunting but prefer to conceal in Urban areas.
  4. I CC 98% of the time. The 2% of the time when I OC it is because I'm going into a PFZ and in Michigan you can OC in a PFZ with a Concealed Pistol License (CPL.)

At no time am I carrying a recorder for the specific purposes of recording encounters with LEOs. I've never felt the need nor do I anticipate a need.

That said, my phone has a widget that will start the audio recorder right on the home screen. I guess I could use that in a pinch if I really had to.
  5. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    I'm carrying a recorder about 100% of the time, two most of the time. Unfortunately I have no idea how to use the recording feature of my phone. It also has absolutely nothing to do with the possibility of encountering a LEO.

That doesn't seem to be an option in your poll.
  6. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Jul 28, 2008
    Up a tree.
    None of the poll answers really fits me.

I'm not even slightly concerned with recording encounters with LEO because never in my life had I had the least bit of trouble getting along with them and being treated well by them in return.

But in the woods & on trails I carry a shirt pocket recorder that takes video too, but it's not for cop encounters - it's in case I need to shoot a "non-cop" weirdo and don't want to go through the whole George Zimmerman treatment due to no witnesses.
  7. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Dec 27, 2011
    If you carry a cell phone, chances are you carry a recorder. Audio and video.

Jun 11, 2002
    New Mexico & Michigan
    NO, I am not in the slightest concerned about a LEO encounter.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
  9. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

Mar 14, 2010
    On the move ... again!
    I carry a voice recorder for work and situations all the time, just like a weapon. This act of "Recording" has saved my butt on the job four times now ... amazing how when an employer decides to do something shady that shade will encompass you until you send them a voice snipet. The Department of Labor (DOL) seems to really enjoy the voice recordings too in making a decision on labor cases.
  10. ZombieJoe

May 7, 2012
    Great Laker
    In IL it is a felony to video/voice record a LEO with out first asking permission. no.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  11. Glock_9mm

Jul 10, 2012
    I'm awaiting my CA CCW, but I will not carry a recording device with me. If it turns out that I do need one, my cell phone does record video.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  12. Cream Soda Kid

Cream Soda Kid

Jul 16, 2010
    I carry my weapon concealed only, I also carry a recording device. I trust no one strange to me, regardless of their position.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
  13. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    I CC and don't carry a recording device. I can't even think of a reason why I would want to carry a device like that.

If I felt that I needed to carry concealed video/audio recording equipment like that, I would be rethinking whatever it was that I was about to do since needing equipment like that while carrying a firearm spells trouble or that someone is about to get into some kind of trouble, or is out looking for trouble in my opinion.

Concealed carry. Out of sight, out of mind, and out of trouble.

YMMV. :wavey:
  14. Misty02

Aug 25, 2008
    I conceal carry and don’t carry a recorder but can see the possible benefit of carrying one, not necessarily for LE interaction, but for general interactions where conflict may arise and to document an accident/incident. If I ever do decide to carry one I would have to (first) research and understand the laws that govern recording conversations and the like in Florida.

Many years ago I was involved in an auto accident that if the officer wouldn’t have taken my word over the word of the other person I might have been charged with the accident. He admitted to it once I came out of my vehicle but had a different story once the officer got there. If it had gone the other way it would have been to my benefit to have what he originally said recorded. I believe I would have needed his permission or at least have informed him I was recording at the time if I had such a device though.

My phone has the ability to take pictures and video. I have taken pictures with it before (not often) and it takes me forever (each time). Hey, I just tried it and took a few seconds of video! I better research the laws on recording others in case I ever see the need to use it. The question remains, would I remember that I can record the interaction if I need to?

15. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Waco, Texas
    I carry a recorder for dealing with idiots that are not police officers.
  16. fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    No. But I have a dash cam in my car.
  17. G26AZ

Aug 16, 2001
    Don't worry about George Zimmerman - that was in the city. Google the name Harold Fish in AZ and read about what he has gone thru since he had to use his 10mm to defend himself while hiking in Arizona.
  18. CC and don't have a recorder. I would like to carry one not so much for LEO encounters but in case of an incident that could escalate. It could prove my need to use deadly force. Zimmerman might not have his ass on a burner if he had one. My problem is I can hardly use the remotes for all the TV stuff. I'm an analog man in a digital world.
  19. FFR Spyder GT

FFR Spyder GT Ex-Gunslinger

Apr 27, 2012
    Hog Jaw, Arkansas

I have an iPhone 4S that's with me 24/7.