close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do police target red cars/trucks?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by New York Hunter, Jun 2, 2011.

1. I saw this on a different site. I was looking at Dodge Charger Police Cruisers (just killing time!) and I came across a link with the below information. I'm not a LEO.

Question-
    I've heard this rumor that if you drive a red car you are a lot more likely to get caught speeding, or any driving infraction for that matter.

Answer-
    Police don't profile the car color, however RADAR does. I know it sounds stupid but if you are in a group of cars and RADAR will clock the red car first provided it's really shiny. RADAR waves bounce off it's target and returns. If you are in a semi radar will get it because it's the larger object with the large grill. If you drive a black car that is dull and has no squared area's the radar will have trouble detecting it, just like those of a stealth aircraft. In short Red Cars do get stopped more and I feel that is the reason why.

Now I drive a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT 4x4, Hemi, auto, tow pkg 3.92's the whole nine yards. . . . .in Flame Red. I've never been pulled over. That being said, if I'm driving on the highway and the speed limit is 65 MPH, I set my cruise at about 68 MPH. I make it a point not to go more then 5 MPH over the posted speed limit. I know 5 MPH over is still going over the speed limit, but it's usually the flow of traffic and more often then not, I stack cars up behind me. I just don't go any faster then that whether I'm driving my red Ram, or in my green '78 Camaro with the new SBC 385 stroker motor we built for it and installed last summer.

I've never had a speeding ticket or any other moving violation or any points on my drivers licence in my 20 years of driving (16 to 36) and plan on keeping it that way. The cruise control on my truck works at 25 MPH, and I'll set it while driving through the city, small towns and villages ect. I don't wear my seat belt because it's the law, I wear it because I don't want to smash my head, face, chest on the steering wheel, dash or windshield.

Anyway's, is the above information true, does radar really pick up red better then other colors or is it BS?

Thanks, NYH! :supergrin:

2. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Mar 29, 2005
    Kansas
    I work midnight shift. I only turn on dark colored vehicles, at first.

3. scottydl

scottydl

May 31, 2005
    The Middle
    BS (That's the short answer) It's an urban legend.

Radar readings are based on solid surface reflection, for which color is irrelevant in the practical sense. Larger items (a big truck driving amongst a bunch of compact cars) may be more identifiable by radar, but even that doesn't necessarily make it any more justifiable in the legal sense. Lidar (laser) is a whole different technology, that is designed to target and identify the speed of a specific vehicle regardless of other vehicles that are around it.

4. ultra45

ultra45

Mar 26, 2008
    NYS
    Never mind...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  5. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    I am going to go way out on a limb here and suggest that driving only a few over has way more to do with it, than does the vehicle color. In my limited experience with a handheld radar gun, vehicle color is about as important a factor as is the fiberglass body of a Vette. Or whatever the heck a Saturn body was.

6. Kegs

Kegs Ol 8 fingers ;)

Oct 26, 2009
    Cold side of conus
    What you need is a brighter, more orangey red with a giant billboard across the top of it that says "HEY LOOK, I'M SPEEDING!".

I drive a late model gray colored honda accord and drive 100 everywhere and never get pulled over.

7. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    It is absolutely true, that is how radar works. The secret that no one wants to admit is that pink cars with purple stripes are invisible to radar, is has to do with the faulty 738mhz band inherent in all currently used radar units..

8. I do remember a study several years ago where the researchers went through a ton of speeding tickets and concluded the most often cited cars were coloured red. And the type of car was sports cars.

Assuming the study was in fact valid, etc..., this is almost like the 'chicken or the egg' question. Do people who have a propensity to enjoy speed tend to buy red sports cars, or do red sports cars tend to make people drive faster?

9. Ask my spouse.

Who drives a red car.

Who got her first speeding ticket in years driving her new red car. Along with her first red light camera ticket in her red car. :rofl:

Yeah, we profile the red cars. And leadfooted spouses.

10. scottydl

scottydl

May 31, 2005
    The Middle
  11. USAFE7

USAFE7 Retired USAF-SP

Feb 5, 2011
    Alabama
    I've got tickets in every color cars come in.....come to think of it.....I have one I need to pay next week.:embarassed:

12. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy Silver Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    Most folks pick up certain colors better than others. This might be the reason it seems so.

13. LMAO @ Black=Stealth. Too bad Lockheed-Martin invested all those millions of dollars and decades of research to come up with a stealth design. They could have just gone with black auto paint and called it done.

14. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

Oct 6, 2005
    michigan
    actually, they use those yellow NOS stickers on the F22 to achieve supercuise.

don't tell anyone tho..we don't want that technology to fall into the wrong hands.

15. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Plum stupid. The only thing that people do concerning their red cars is look at them. If they put a lidar on it and you are over speed limit, guess what you are going to get? Whatever is coming to you.:wavey:

16. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Mar 1, 2000
    Pennsylvania
    We can't use RADAR (being mere locals), so color doesn't matter!

17. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

"It's baaaaaack...."

18. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Correlation does not equal causality.

Do police profile red cars or are people that drive like idiots more likely to prefer bright colors?

19. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Jan 2, 2007
    It seems in my locale, most of my speeders violate after dark. During the day time they cruise within the bounds, but the sun sets and it's Talladega suddenly.

So, it doesn't matter to me because I can't freaking see them until the pass under the streetlight I"m sitting under.

20. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

Feb 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I haven't been on many traffic stops yet, but I do know for sure not a single one of them was red. A lot of the time, by the time I knew I would be stopping the car, we still didn't know what color it was until it passed us.

ETA: Now that I think about it, the ONE time I've been stopped for speeding (years ago), it was in a red car. Maybe there's truth to it, after all?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011