close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do people break the law?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by G23Gen4TX, Oct 25, 2012.

1. G23Gen4TX

G23Gen4TX

I know they do. But following an argument with a friend, I was wondering what you guys think?

I was claiming that most gun owners are rather responsible and follow the law. Specifically watching out to not break NFA laws such as SBR registration (attaching a stock to a pistol for instance) and machine gun laws (owning illegal machine guns or converting weapons to fire at full auto illegally).

He claimed that a lot of people are probably doing it. I said that for most gun owners who are aware of the law and know the cost in terms of punishment it is simply not worth it.

So what do you think? Did you get to see people wit illegal SBRs and machine guns?

2. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Is a scope ring on a Glock rail an illegal AOW? I have seen this. As well as mounting a MAC 10 under a shotgun (SBR).

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

3. HandyMan Hugh

HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member

As a general rule gun owners (the legal ones) are the most law abiding people on the planet. It's just the way we are.
    We respect and follow the law, and fear the consequences of breaking it.

4. G23Gen4TX

G23Gen4TX

What's the purpose of the scope ring? To hold the gun with the non shooting hand? If that is the case then it is probably illegal.

As for the Mac10 and shotgun combo. Yes, sounds like an SBR.

More stories?

5. holesinpaper

holesinpaper

Everyone breaks some law, sometime. That's nearly the whole point of the system.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Three-Felonies-Day-Target-Innocent/dp/1594035229"]Three Felonies A Day: How the Feds Target the Innocent: Harvey Silverglate: 9781594035227: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4187Sp-Cb6L.@@AMEPARAM@@4187Sp-Cb6L[/ame]

6. droidfire

droidfire

Prisons are full of innocent people that disagree with your answer to the thread title.

7. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

There are some innocent people in prison, I have no doubt. That doesn't make everyone innocent, which would have to be the case for you to be right and G23Gen4TX to be wrong.

As for firearm offenses - gun owners who bought them legally to begin with are, statistically, less likely to commit crimes than the populatuion at large. On the other hand, many commit crimes without even realizing it. Angry Fist gave some good examples. The country is full of people who give or sell guns to residents of other states, or buy guns from them, without knowing it's a felony. Right on this forum, we have numerous people who use illegal drugs and possess firearms and ammunition and even lie on the 4473 to buy more (multiple felonies). That kidn of stuff is fairly harmless, but probably common.

Committing crimes with NFA weapons? Very, very rare, as ATF can tell you.

BTW, the book Three Felonies a Day: How the Feds Target the Innocent, is actually about prosecuting people who really did commit felonies. It seems to be based on the assumption that the laws are wrong, not that the "innocent" didn't break them.

8. samuse

samuse

Who cares about the law?

Do what what you gotta do live a good life and stay outta jail.

It's that simple.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Defendants

10. Random

Random AtticRat

11. droidfire

droidfire

I blame the lifeless text for stealing the humor out of my reply and conveying it as a serious statement.

I suppose I could have put more effort into the delivery, but if we were face to face for me to say that it wouldn't have been as ambiguous as it was.

So, the blame is with the medium of delivery, and I consider myself absolved from the extra effort required to click on one of the animated smilies over there ->

I'll sleep well when next I do.

12. Altaris

Altaris

I have never broken a single law of any kind in my entire life

13. CanMan

CanMan Silver Member

OP, I'd be very wary of that particular friend. Being an NFA owner by proxy would be, well, like being a csucker by proxy...both would suck!

14. HarlDane

HarlDane

I would guess that the laws most commonly broken (intentionally and unintentionally) by otherwise law abiding gun owners would those that relate to the transferring of firearms.

There is a huge underground gray market for unregistered handguns here in CA. As long the gun pre-dates the registration law and both parties were old enough to purchase the firearm at the time the registration laws went into effect it's pretty easy to get away with. I'm too young and wouldn't be willing to take the risk even if I was old enough, but it's pretty common and easy to do.

15. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

As a class my understanding is gun owners (esp those who get CCWP are very law abiding. Being able to get permit shows that they have not (ok been caught) committing any serious (and many non- serious crimes) during their life.
    Thing is IF you commit a criminal act (and keep doing it) you WILL get caught. (heck even folks in politics sometimes get caught) :0
    Do I break laws? Yep. Its almost impossible to live/work/play/etc without breaking a law somewhere. For fun read some of the stupid laws that are on books.
    I have met more then one gun owner who wants to show me "new toy I built" They took legal parts and put together a illegal firearm. It was not any more "deadly" it actually was less. I told them, found proof later and they changed it.
    One guy was thrilled he found a "future slug" barrel for his shotgun from a damaged long barrel a friend of his had. So he cut it off at 17" (just to be safe) :(
    I was just looking a reciprocity other day. One site says "yes to these states" and was updated Sept 12 2012. The other says "NO" to half those states and is Oct. 2012.
    So I made a few phone calls. Not only do they not know, they don't know who/where to find out. (Government employees who work in this area)

16. btr

btr

Probably most gun owners have committed at least a few federal felonies without knowing it. Some have certainly commited hundreds of them without knowing it.

Thrown an unloaded gun behind the seat of your car/truck and driven through town? Probably drove within 1000 feet of a school. Federal felony without a pistol permit.

Used your concealed carry permit to carry a pistol out of your state, through states that recognize your permit? Didn't drive w/in 1000 feet of school at any point did you? Federal felony.

Put a high cap mag or bayonet on an SKS? Hope you added a bunch of USA made parts to make sure it is 922 compliant. Federal felony.

Give rifle as a gift to a relative who lives in another state? Hope if you went through an FFL. If not, federal felony.

17. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

What facts or sources is he using to support his claim? I can claim that some people are probably snorting cane sugar but that doesn't prove its true... or false.

18. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

I plead the 5th...............but I wanted to post in this thread.

19. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

I may have, at one time or another, exceeded the posted speed limit.

:supergrin:

20. MARKDANIEL

MARKDANIEL

Sometimes its impossible not to break the law. We have several inspections at work and we had 3 inspections by 2 inspectors in a year. no matter how we stored some chemicals we were breaking the law according to 1 of the inspectors if we stored it like #1 wanted us to we were breaking the law according to #2 and vice versa.