Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Do NOT buy this ammo for you Glock42

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by pspez, Feb 3, 2014.

1. pspez

May 3, 2006
    Coconut Creek, Fl
    Just received ammo from a company called Precision one, I bought 250 rounds of bulk ammo and 100 rounds of their Defense ammo. It did not feed and when it did it FTE. This ammo is ****. So just to make sure that is was not the gun, I purchased Sellier and Bellot and it cycled perfectly. I have noticed that these little 42s are very sensitive to certain ammo. I have had no problems with magtech ammo either. I am trying to find some Winchster white box to see how that runs. Please post your results with ammo for you 42 so we can all not have to worry about crap ammo. Thanks.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  2. .380's can be finicky with ammo in general. I would have thought the Glock would be less finicky than the others.
    My LCP feeds Federal Hydrashoks very well. You might want to give them a try.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014

3. Dave514

Jul 6, 2013
    Sig p238 is the only .380 I've had that would take everything I tried but wouldn't be surprised if there is something it wouldn't eat. .380s just seem bad about that.
  4. surf n turf

surf n turf

Oct 24, 2009
    I just bought a couple boxes of Precision One with the 90gr. Hornady XTP bullet based on ShootingTheBull's youtube gel tests. I ran around 30 rounds through my LCP with no failures. I'm going to have to do more shooting with this ammo before I trust carrying it full time. Hopefully more will chime in with results with this ammo.
  5. baileymoto

May 17, 2005
    I have a bunch of Precision One coming, both JHPs and FMJs. I'll report back once I send at least 200 rounds of it down range.
  6. itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    Funny my KT eats everything.
    Boom Vang likes this.
  7. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    thanks, but I'm not buying a 42 for sure. :rofl:
    Merkavaboy and packinaglock like this.
  8. Cruiser1

Cruiser1 Still Alive

Jul 15, 2010
    Biloxi, Mississippi
    I also have actually used Precision One .380 ammo, XTP and their reloaded bulk ball. 200 rounds of the XTP down range with perfect function. 15 out of 15 failure rate (FTF or FTE) with the ball. I spoke with Jeff, he reported several people having the same issue with their G42. All the bad ammo seems to have come from the same batch. He suspects either bad powder or primers. Not enough umph to properly cycle the slide. I returned the remaining ball to him. He is checking on the cause, will correct the issue and either replace the ammo or refund cost. He did tell me that the loads he sent out were tailored for the Ruger .380 and were loaded slightly longer than standard .380 specs. I am willing to give him a chance to work out the load for the G42 and make it right.
    I have now put loads from 7 different manufacturers thru the G42 and only the PO ball has not functioned perfectly.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  9. Chuck

Chuck Millennium Member

Dec 22, 1998
    Guy on You Tube had problems with Barnes ammo. Would not cycle was a single shot gun. Seems that G42's are over sprung. If I had a G42 I would only use European ammo it's made much hotter.
    Boom Vang likes this.
  10. Cruiser1

Cruiser1 Still Alive

Jul 15, 2010
    Biloxi, Mississippi
    Many have reported success with different brands and loads of US and foreign produced ammunition. I do agree that it seems that the G42 likes hot ammo. I would not be surprised to see Glock sometime in the future come out with a new recoil spring assembly after they can gather enough actual data and not rely on internet rumors and test by "Bubba".
  11. Cruiser1

Cruiser1 Still Alive

Jul 15, 2010
    Biloxi, Mississippi
    Update on Precision One .380 100 gr FMJ. My first order was total garbage. 15 out of 15 failure to feed or eject. After speaking to Jeff I returned the remainder of that order to PO. I received the replacement order yesterday. Just got back from the range and I could not be more pleased. Fired 100 rounds with perfect functioning. Jeff told me that he boosted the load up a bit and also insured that the bullet was seated to spec to insure reliability in the G42. I could definitely feel the power increase over the original loading and compared too a couple of other brands that I had on hand.
  12. cjkoz1975

Jan 14, 2012
    Has anybody use Remington Golden Saber hollow points in the 42 yet? I want to carry with them but I do know that the 42 is slightly finicky. I have run some old hydra shoks through it with not issues. Also some Fiocchi ball. The Fiocchi was alright. My stepson was having some FTE issues with it but I did not. I'm assuming that was user error not the gun. I'm really hoping the Golden Sabers are good because I like the fact that they are 102 gr.
  13. fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    Why would any manuf "Tailor" ammo for a specific pistol with so many diff pistols in use?:dunno: hopefully you get it fixed.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  14. my thoughts exactly. that is why we have SAAMI specs....
  15. M 7

M 7

May 22, 2012
    Same here. Ain't the ammo that was the problem; it was the gun.
  16. Cruiser1

Cruiser1 Still Alive

Jul 15, 2010
    Biloxi, Mississippi
    Nothing to fix. I have over 600 consecutive perfect functioning rounds from 7 different manufacturers of ammo thru my G42. Only change from stock I have made is the addition of XS Big Dot Sights. I have them on all my defensive Glocks.
  17. intecooler

Nov 15, 2012
    Glock perfection keeps tumbling down.
  18. cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    The Precision One stuff seems good. Glad to see some .380 ACP ammo is finally achieving 12" penetration. It's still smaller expansion than what you can get from a 9mm but at least the penetration is there.

[ame=""]Glock 42 G42 ammo test: Precision One .380 ACP review in ClearBallistics gelatin - YouTube[/ame]
  19. I have also had problems with Precision One with the 42. Now I am using it up with sig 238
  20. razorray11

Jul 1, 2014
    Bloomington IL
    I have not had any issues at all with Precision One at all. I have used the new, reloads and the HP/XTP without a single failure. Well, I just got my 42 back from Glock so they put all the new parts in it and I have the new 01 mags. Ill have to fire off a few of each to make sure they are still 100%. I ordered some ammo from Freedom to test out as well. Hoping it continues to be 100%.

But I can understand getting a bad lot though. It would make you leery of counting on it for self defense!