close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Do I want a QR scope mount or Traditional Scope mount?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by NEO Hunter, Apr 23, 2013.

1. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    I have Mueller Speed Shot mounted on a Burris PEPR on a S&W Optic Ready Carbine. The scope is 1-4.5 and has a dot reticule that can be illuminated or not. I've used it in 3 gun, AR tactical classes and known distance (out to 400 yards) shoots. I've had kids and first time shooters banging steel with it at 200 meters. Just place the dot on the target and squeeze. It is silly fun.

I don't even have BUIS on that rifle because the scope doesn't depend on batteries. Use the black dot during the day, turn it on in low light. That rifle/scope combo has been banging around in the back of my truck (in a case of course) for over a year and hasn't lost zero.

2. i have one of the early PEPR non-QD mounts and it has been fine. i havent moved it in a few years and it has held zero on some hunts and lots of plinking with a bit of reflexive fire drills and such.

that said, i am far from hard on this rifle and that sounds like what the OP is asking for. if i were building a rifle to go to war with, i would buy LT QD mounts and better optics but a factory stag carbine with a yhm free float tube and a PEPR/Millett DMS combo is a different animal than a professional combat rifle.

now after 10 years of military experience as an MP and unit armorer through multiple combat deployments, i also doubt that 99% of the soldiers out there have gotten their rifles as hot and dirty as i have had mine and it has kept up fine, my stag that is. im a firm believer in taking care of my rifle though. full of sand or mud can happen but the likelihood is far less than most AR owners think it should be. and if something happens to your rifle that will cause even a PEPR mount to break or fail, then youre in over your head, imho.

3. NEO Hunter

NEO Hunter

Mar 19, 2012
    Thanks for the responses. I decided to just get some rings to mount my scope and save the money for ammo. I will keep the laRue in mind for my next rifle once I get a bigger budget.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. NEO Hunter

NEO Hunter

Mar 19, 2012
    Just wanted to give a little follow up. I did decide to buy a QR mount. I had trouble finding rings locally that I wouldn't need a riser for. Primary Arms had the American Defense Recon for 159.00 so I decided to go with it. I am glad I did seems really well made(in the USA) and mounts really easily. Still saved $50 off the LaRue. I will probably never take it off but at least I have that option now.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX