close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Do I want a QR scope mount or Traditional Scope mount?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by NEO Hunter, Apr 23, 2013.

1. NEO Hunter

NEO Hunter

Mar 19, 2012
    I have narrowed my scope mount search to a LaRue, Rock River, or Burris PEPR. What I can't decide is if I want to get a QR and run a flip up rear sight as a back up or save the money and just mount with a traditional mount.I dont see myself taking it off much but I am new to ARs so I am not familiar with the benefits. I am using the rifle for coyote hunting and a little plinking. All opinions appreciated.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Does not sound as if you even need back up sights.
    Get a quality set of rings and a good scope.

3. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    I try to avoid non-QD scope mounts. If the scope gets wrecked, you can drop it from the rifle in a few seconds, deploy iron sights, and continue on. Plus, it makes swapping optics easier.

If you go QD, it's really hard to beat LaRue. I use LT mounts for both my Leupold and my Aimpoint Micro.

4. PVolk

PVolk

Oct 2, 2009
    Michigan
    I prefer QR mounts for scopes and bipods. If you ever think you'll want to remove the scope, it's nice to know you won't need to spend time and ammo getting back to zero again.

5. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Depends on the mount. Some return to zero better than others.

6. PVolk

PVolk

Oct 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Right. I wouldn't use anything other than a PEPR or Larue.

7. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Cough... LaRue... Cough

PEPRs aren't known for their return to zero capability. They are Chinese made mounts, and while they are ok for the sole purpose of QD to get to irons, they suck at returning to zero. I have had experience with 3 different copies and none of them reasonably returned to zero.

OP, Like you said in your other threads, this is going to be a budget varmint/range gun. A plain basic set of picatinny rings will serve you just fine. I, like Plank, am a big proponent of LaRue QD mounts, but like most good things they come at a price. I have 4 LaRue mounts and they ALL return to zero every time.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  8. NEO Hunter

NEO Hunter

Mar 19, 2012
    Thanks for the responses I didn't know PEPRs were Chinese so those are out I try to avoid anything china made That I can. So it looks I will probably go with the LaRue or just a good set of rings. People do seem to like the Rock River mounts also and they are about the same price as rings.

I did notice LaRue has an option for the VFZ option with their SPR model. Anyone had any experience with those. They run about 50.00 cheaper.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. Travclem

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
  10. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    I see no reason to run anything but RTZ-QDs on any rifle.

They hold resale better, don't limit you. Traditional mounts do exactly the opposite.

11. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    The PEPR would be suitable for an airsoft.........

12. bullittmcqueen

bullittmcqueen Gunfighter

Feb 18, 2011
    Leesburg, GA
    How did Larue and PEPR get mentioned in the same breath?

13. PVolk

PVolk

Oct 2, 2009
    Michigan
    My PEPR had no issues with returning to zero. Of course, it makes a difference to have it set up properly too. I used dial calipers to match the front and rear spacing so that there was equal tension across the rail. I never left the scope mounted to the rifle and it was always zero'd the few times I used it. I know my test was no 500-cycle Larue test, but it did return to zero everytime I needed it to. I couldn't ask for much more from it.

14. PVolk

PVolk

Oct 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Because one is the best unit on the market, and the other is the second best...

Some of you purists crack me up. Larue makes an excellent product, but not everybody needs or wants a $210 scope mount. And contrary to popular belief, the mounts that don't say "Larue" still function for mounting a scope to a rifle.

15. Travclem

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    At what distances were your tests conducted? mine were done at 100yds and 500yds. The closest I ever got to returning to zero was 1.5MOA off of the center of the pre-detachment group. The other 2 were 2+MOA, and while that may be acceptable to some, it's not good enough for me.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  16. Travclem

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    That is like saying the Aimpoint T-1 is the best and the Bushnell TRS-25 is second best.

There are a lot of great mounts on the market, and the PEPR is not what I would call one of them. LaRue, Bobro, American Defense, Alamo Four Star, GG&G, etc. The PEPR is FAR from second best.

The 2 best RTZ mounts in my experience are LaRue and Bobro, but the Bobro has a high propensity for spring failure rendering the mount useless.

There is no sense in mounting a $2500 scope to a $3500 rifle with a $80 Chinese mount. Like the Bushnell TRS-25, I would have no problem with a PEPR on a .22 or range plinker, which is what the OP wants. That's why I told him it would most likely work for him. He doesn't want it because it's Chinese.

17. PVolk

PVolk

Oct 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Mine were at 100 yards. 1.5 MOA would be acceptable to me for a plinker. Did you adjust any of yours with dial calipers prior to use?

Then I suppose we have differing opinions of what best fits 'second best'. Though you seem to be overally critical of the PEPR because of it's 1.5-2 MOA groups, while giving second best to the one that has "high propensity" for becoming useless. You're welcome to your opinion though.

I agree. If I had $6k wrapped up into a rifle and scope, I'd probably buy the best scope mount on the market for it. But at this point we don't know anything about the OP's rifle or scope. But we do know that the PEPR (as well as most mount options) will be fine for plinking and shooting coyotes. And being that the OP is budget minded, maybe the $210 Larue is more than he needs and the difference in price can be better spent on ammo.

Every scope mount thread seems to turn into "Larue is the only one worth buying - all others are junk and don't work". Not everyone is shooting .5 MOA groups at 500 yards with the $3500 rifle and $2500 scope.

18. Travclem

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Yes, all were equally torqued.

Not 1.5-2 MOA groups, The scope was off zero by 1.5-3 MOA after being reattached. The Bobro actually returns to zero when in use, The PEPR doesn't. High propensity may have been an exaggeration, but there are documented cases of that particular mount failing (Bobro) though. The PEPR hasn't been on the market long enought to judge long term failure rates.

His rifle is a PSA M4, and while he is being budget minded, he doesn't want any Chinese crap. I agree that the PEPR would be fine for plinking, but second best to LaRue is laughable.

I gave a long list of other mounts that are acceptable, not just LaRue.

19. PVolk

PVolk

Oct 2, 2009
    Michigan
    I just realized the Bobro is more expensive than the Larue LT104. That alone would eliminate it from my list of possibilities if I were in the market.

So, what's your favorite sub-$100 QR mount, Trav?

20. Travclem

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    I can't say that I have one. I don't have a favorite sub-$3 hamburger or sub-$500 1911 either. I am not a fan of substandard/mediocre things in life, some things just cost a little money. In the grand scheme of things a $100 difference in cost of a scope mount is a small investment in something that will last a lifetime. I learned long ago that is is cheaper to spend more money upfront then to buy a substandard item only to buy the good one later. Buy once, cry once.

I don't like the Bobro mounts either, but I can say that they do return to zero every time.