close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do I need ZA or AVG?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Romadoc, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Romadoc

Romadoc
    Expand Collapse

I just received a birthday gift of a MSI Wind Notebook which uses Windows XP.
    My main computer is an Apple IMAC which I have been using for more than a year (my old Dell crashed). Therefore, I have forgotten most of necessaries for using IE and Windows. At home, I am behind a router and have a WIFI setup...courtesy of my son-in-law. Do I need to install AVG or ZA or perhaps someother means of protection? This would be for those times when I am using it when travelling. Suggestions are appreciated.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. denfoote

denfoote
    Expand Collapse
    MENACE

I use Avast AV.
    http://www.avast.com/

Also, PC tools firewall. It's less of a footprint than ZA and works better IMHO.
    http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

Also set your hard firewall (router) to the highest setting, usually called "stealth mode" or something similar.

Make damnsure you have good encryption for your WI-FI!!!

Personally, I prefer good old fashioned hard wire!! :cool:

Read: ditch the Wi-Fi!!!

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

you should have some form of antivirus, Avast would be my choice.. Make sure your wifi network has a couple basic security settings...

1. Disable ESSID broadcast
    2. Highest security setting possible(WPA2 is best, avoid WEP if you can)

IGF

4. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger
    Expand Collapse
    OD G19

I have always liked the free version of AVG. It works great for me, and has performed in the top 3 in every AV test i have seen in recent years.

I do not run a software firewall at home, although i do have my router setup as securely as possible. When i go on trips or somewhere that i will not be behind my router, i usually run Zonealarm.

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Im with you on that one, I hate software firewalls, always have. If you're behind a properly configured router, no need for a software firewall.

IGF

6. Romadoc

Romadoc
    Expand Collapse

Is it possible (advisable) to run AVG together with AVAST!? I have already downloaded AVAST! and, if I recall, it is bad practice to run more than one. On my old Dell, I had them both together with SpyBot.

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.
    Expand Collapse

Don't run Avast and AVG together. Choose one. The newest version of AVG seems best but Avast is a good one. Zone Alarm is one of the better firewalls. Another good one is Webroot firewall.

8. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger
    Expand Collapse
    OD G19

Yeah...two AV clients won't play well together. Stick with one...i've always liked AVG better than Avast...but either will be better than none.

9. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz
    Expand Collapse
    Annoying Member

A router does not necessarily prevent outbound data and a router does not alert you to potentially harmful events like a software firewall. Software firewalls can add a second layer of protection, not so much from those that are trying to get in but those trying to access the Internet. Your AntiVirus software may detect a trojan or worm BUT what if it misses it? That’s where the software firewall comes in … it will alert you to attempts by your computer to communicate with the outside world, as well as notify you of things inbound that the router does not block.

Hardware and software firewalls each have their own advantages, it’s better to have both!