close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do G36 Mags Drop Free?

Discussion in 'Thin to Win - G36 Club' started by JLM63, Aug 9, 2012.

1. JLM63

JLM63
    Expand Collapse

Hi All,
    Picked up my new G36 last night. Used my GSSF discount. I ran a box of Federal FMJ and WWB JHP's through it at the range while I was there. I noticed the mags don't drop free, I have to pull them out. Is this normal? There was also polymer "burrs" on the upper front edge by the front edge of the follower.

Thanks.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. rlcoy58

rlcoy58
    Expand Collapse

The G36 I sold to a friend about 5 years ago and the one I bought 2 months ago both drop mags free with no problems.

3. Jack23

Jack23
    Expand Collapse
    I. B. Glockin'

I've had my 36 for 6 years and used numerous mags in it. No matter which one I was using (all were Glock factory mags for that gun) it dropped every time I pushed the mag release button.

4. JLM63

JLM63
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. I'll have to look into it more closely to see where it's hanging up at. I disassembled and cleaned it last night and they both still drop about 1/4" and then stop.

I've got a barrel, sights and more mags on the way. :)

5. Redstate

Redstate
    Expand Collapse

Mine drop free sometimes.

6. hakuin

hakuin
    Expand Collapse

I have put 350+ rds through mine so far with 5 mags, and they all drop free...maybe I'm just lucky.

7. JLM63

JLM63
    Expand Collapse

Where to start troubleshooting? I smoothed the burrs down. It looks like the polymer peeled a bit from the front edge of the mag. I'll see if I can get a pic.

8. mrmedina

mrmedina
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

Back in the day, as a LEO I carried a G17 with non-drop free mags. I was taught to pull the mag from the floor plate or (strip out the mag). No matter now, even with drop free mags. I still strip out the mag anyway. Just food for thought. :wavey:

9. G36_Me

G36_Me
    Expand Collapse

for me, yes.

10. Jim S.

Jim S.
    Expand Collapse

Some fine sandpaper (400 grit) will help clean up the inside of the frame and the outside of the mags.
    After that a quick wipe with Armor-all works great.

11. kostnerave

kostnerave
    Expand Collapse

My G-36 is old but when I used to shot it on a regular basis it always dropped free. But after five years of living in a holster and rarely fired just discovered that my mags no long drop free. After reading these posts cleaned the mags and used Armor-aal and now they are back to free falling. Thanks for the tip.

12. DCB12

DCB12
    Expand Collapse

I have 5 mags... Most drop free. I will have to work on the ones that don't.

Peace

13. Palmetto Devil

Palmetto Devil
    Expand Collapse

With mine when the gun was new they wouldnt drop free but after some range time an a couple hundred rounds threw it !! They do now , no problems !!