close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Do G36 Mags Drop Free?

Discussion in 'Thin to Win - G36 Club' started by JLM63, Aug 9, 2012.

1. JLM63

JLM63

Sep 11, 2010
    Indep, MO
    Hi All,
    Picked up my new G36 last night. Used my GSSF discount. I ran a box of Federal FMJ and WWB JHP's through it at the range while I was there. I noticed the mags don't drop free, I have to pull them out. Is this normal? There was also polymer "burrs" on the upper front edge by the front edge of the follower.

Thanks.

2. rlcoy58

rlcoy58

Dec 12, 2007
    The G36 I sold to a friend about 5 years ago and the one I bought 2 months ago both drop mags free with no problems.

3. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

Feb 10, 2005
    Deer Park, Texas
    I've had my 36 for 6 years and used numerous mags in it. No matter which one I was using (all were Glock factory mags for that gun) it dropped every time I pushed the mag release button.

4. JLM63

JLM63

Sep 11, 2010
    Indep, MO
    Thanks. I'll have to look into it more closely to see where it's hanging up at. I disassembled and cleaned it last night and they both still drop about 1/4" and then stop.

I've got a barrel, sights and more mags on the way. :)

5. hakuin

hakuin

May 23, 2004
    Michigan
    I have put 350+ rds through mine so far with 5 mags, and they all drop free...maybe I'm just lucky.

6. JLM63

JLM63

Sep 11, 2010
    Indep, MO
    Where to start troubleshooting? I smoothed the burrs down. It looks like the polymer peeled a bit from the front edge of the mag. I'll see if I can get a pic.

7. mrmedina

mrmedina NRA Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Albuquerque,NM
    Back in the day, as a LEO I carried a G17 with non-drop free mags. I was taught to pull the mag from the floor plate or (strip out the mag). No matter now, even with drop free mags. I still strip out the mag anyway. Just food for thought. :wavey:

8. Some fine sandpaper (400 grit) will help clean up the inside of the frame and the outside of the mags.
    After that a quick wipe with Armor-all works great.

9. kostnerave

kostnerave

Sep 4, 2010
    My G-36 is old but when I used to shot it on a regular basis it always dropped free. But after five years of living in a holster and rarely fired just discovered that my mags no long drop free. After reading these posts cleaned the mags and used Armor-aal and now they are back to free falling. Thanks for the tip.

10. DCB12

DCB12

Sep 1, 2010
    FL
    I have 5 mags... Most drop free. I will have to work on the ones that don't.

Peace

11. Palmetto Devil

Palmetto Devil

Mar 1, 2016
    With mine when the gun was new they wouldnt drop free but after some range time an a couple hundred rounds threw it !! They do now , no problems !!