Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Do any of you have a hard time deciding what gun to carry?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Two Guns, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Two Guns

Two Guns VIP MEMBER

Nov 4, 2004
    I was having the hardest time figuring out what gun I wanted to be my primary carry gun. I just have so many that I like.It came down to my S&W 457, H&K USP Compact 40 or my H&K USP Compact 45. I shoot them all about the same and they all carry about the same in the same holster.But in the end I picked the USP Compact 45. I really don't know why but I just love the gun a little more than the other two. Plus I just love the 45 acp round in the H&K package.The S&W 457 is a nice 45 also and at a budget price but carries one less round than the H&K. If the S&W had night sights on it I may have picked it.So do any of you guys and gals have a hard time deciding what gun to carry daily? I think I may have just to many carry guns that I like.:dunno:
  2. EAJuggalo

Jan 17, 2005
    Eagan, MN
    Occasionally I can't decide between the G21SF and the Taurus 650 snubbie but usually there is a reason to choose one over the other.

3. thejellster05

Sep 13, 2007
    Also have a really hard time deciding which rifle to take hunting!
  4. unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    I don't have a difficult time picking a carry gun because I only have two primary CCW pistols, a Steyr 9mm sub-compact and a Glock .357sig compact. I also have a very small, light "pocket" 9mm (a little to big to really be a pocket carry piece) that just hasn't quite made the reliability hurdle and is not a striker-fired design. (I like having the same trigger system insofar as that removes one possible glitch in an extremely stressful situation.)

In an urban environment the Steyr gets carry duty 80% of the time; in a rural environment the Glock gets carry duty 80% of the time. Nature has a way of balancing things out.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  5. michael e

michael e

Nov 20, 2010
    Most weekends, during the week I can't carry at work so the gun on the nightstand goes in the car with me. On the weekend it is alot harder, 22 glocks that fit holsters I have, I dont any of them feeling left out.
  6. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    Nope, my carry guns all have a purpose. I carry my jframe when I need a discreet gun for dress clothes. I carry my P239 and a spare mag all other times.

Now picking which guns to take the range is another story...
  7. harrygunner

Sep 4, 2010
    Little difficulty. I concluded an adequate gun is fine, the gun is not the most important factor.

I selected a manual-of-arms for my carry guns and and focus on training.
  8. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Jan 20, 1999
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Depends on season, and where I am going. I seem to undercarry during the warm time of the year and adequatly carry in the colder season (like now). In the hot midwestern season, its Glock-27 usualy in a jean pocket or on the ankle. When its coat or jacket time, the Glock-23 gets the nod more or less with the spare mag, indide the waist holster, inside jacket pocket, outside jacket pocket. If I am going into Indianapolis, the G-23. Out and about its either the 27 or 23 whichever I grab. Now if I go back home to visit the folks in the Detroit area..........I better carry both!
  9. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
  10. For CCW it's between my two G19s and my G26. And now that I hardly ever carry my G26 anymore, the choices are even easier.

Lately I've been thinking about adding variety to the CCW mix... by purchasing a third G19 (Gen 3 of course).

Selecting a CCW was based on simplicity of manual of arms, reliability, and would I have the ability to maintain the guns? Once I completed that Glock armorer's course, the choice was made for me.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  11. Funny you mention this. Like most people who carry, I have a number of guns from several manufacturers which I consider to be in my carry stable. Some are only used in specific situations (very light clothing, deep concealment, etc.) and some could serve as primary carry pieces.

For the past two months, I have been going through a process of re-evaluating my primary carry gun with other candidates for several reasons. Over the past 4 3/4 years, my primary carry gun has been one of my 3G Glock 23's. So for the past two months I have been weigh it against other selected choices in my stable to see how it fairs and what might be best for me now. I do this by going to an indoor range and putting the guns through a series of paces to see how they and me do. Target distances, Target flipping for short exposure, different targets, tactical magazine changes, etc. A major candidate is my M&P 9 Pro Series I bought last August. This past Monday, it was heads up against my 3 G Glock 19. Next time out will be spent primarily with that M&P and just for kicks, my new M&P 45 with a 4" barrel.

I would not be one bit remiss about continuing to carry the 3G Glock 23 I mentioned about. But I have been finding that I shoot the M&P 9 Pro better at this time. Before I settle on a final primary selection, I'll probably put the two of them through the wringer again side by side and see how it goes. I also have an M&P 40 for consideration, but that M&P 9 Pro Series is spot on.

I attribute this to a number of factors and since I am by no means a brand loyal individual (that is down right silly), I am open to whatever works bests for me.
  12. Donn57

Donn57 Just me

Aug 11, 2006
    Sunny Florida
    Nope. My only decision is whether to carry one or two. If I carry only one, it is the Colt Agent. If I carry two it is the Agent and the Detective Special.

I do have a third handgun, a Browning BDA .45 (aka SIG P220), but I haven't carried it in years.
  13. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Sep 30, 2006
    It's either a Tec 9 and Hi Tops day or an Uzi and bunny slippers day.

I just carry my G34 everywhere I can. If I don't have the 34 I got a 19 that goes with shorts and "stuff".
  14. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    NOOOOO, it's the tec 9 and high tops or uzi and low tops

then give up and just choose the bunny slippers :animlol:
  15. xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    It's a lot of times between my Glock 22 or Springfield XDm 3.8 compact. Would like to take 'em both but I just hate the idea of the fact I'd be carrying around mags for each that wouldn't go with each other. Kinda wanna just get a Glock 27 and make it much easier.
  16. CCO

CCO Wandering CLM

Jan 18, 2006
    Lake Texoma
    I only have 2 handguns, a .38 4" K frame that became mine when my grandpa passed away, and a G26. I've carried the G26 daily for 2 years now, and have never considered attempting to carry the SW.
  17. i have a Smith and Wesson 629 .44 MAG, a Taurus judge PD, a Springfield XD sub com .40 cal., and a herratige rough rider .22 not a hard choice for me.
  18. Two Guns

Two Guns VIP MEMBER

Nov 4, 2004
    So you carry the 629.:rofl: