close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Do all Filipinos like guns?

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by tombo, Jul 3, 2005.

1. tombo

tombo

Nov 4, 2004
    Ky
    One thing I have noticed in my limited meetings of Filipinos at gun ranges and elswhere in the U.S. is that they like guns. They are almost fanatical about them. Not only do they know quality firearms but they can shoot them well. Why is that?

2. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

Jan 22, 2004
    almost home
    Well, not all Filipinos are into guns these days
    Chalk it up to three generations of mass-media brainwashing.

Used to be, it was not merely a right but a sacred duty
    to have the means with which to feed and defend one's family
    and one's tribe.

3. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

Nov 25, 2003
    I guess the Filipino could certainly excel in the sport but not all like the idea of having guns. Nandy Pacheco for one :(

4. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter Moderator

Nov 21, 2002
    Dr. B. Eye
    and good looking, too! ;f right, cousin rhino!?!

5. kerwin

kerwin

May 5, 2004
    CDOC, Philippines
    Filipino's don't just like guns, We love them. But its so darn hard to keep em. Not all can afford Firearms, Philippine laws are quite strict and we don't have the "right to keep and bear arms" amendment found in the American Constitution.

Gun ownership is kinda new to Filipinos, but not the idea of freedom, or the right to defend ones self, family, property or even honor. So it is only natural for filipinos to own some weapons, Be it a finely made Kris or Machete or a crude Bolo.

Those Filipinos already in the US are just making up for lost time i guess... and why settle for Saturday Night Specials when they can afford Guns they can only dream of when they were still in the Philippines?;)

6. bulm540

bulm540

Jun 18, 2004
    TN
    Ditto!!!!

7. or we can consider also an environmental influence. for my case, i grew up in an environment in which you can see guns everyday. my late father(peace be upon him) used to be a member of Crime Suppression Unit(CSU). We have a couple of guns in our house, and seen also alot of people coming in our house with all types of guns(my fathers colleagues/buddies). So i grew up to be a gun lover or enthusiast as you might call it. ;f

8. toxic

toxic

Jan 15, 2005
    doin' time
    Perhaps its the influence of TV and toy pistol.

9. Filipinos like guns. Many filipinas (female gender) like guns too.

Why not? Guns are fun, and useful.

10. i_am_infinity

i_am_infinity Pang Altar

Jun 20, 2005
    To Infinity and Beyond
    kawawa naman tayong mga pinoy!!

"Owning guns is not a right to Filipinos but a privilege..."
    Quoted: Gen. Arturo Lumibao

and all i can say about that is... that's CRAP!!!!! I love guns because to me i consider shooting as a sport and also an instrument to defend against criminals...and they can't even protect us and they expect us to depend on them?!?! ASUS!!

11. rhino465

rhino465

Sep 24, 2003
    Indiana, USA
    AMEN, cousin EC!!! Guwapo! ;f

12. rhino465

rhino465

Sep 24, 2003
    Indiana, USA
    Good point, cousin!

I play games with my guns that I already have (for defense and political reasons) so I can operate them proficiently. I don't have guns just to play games.

Let me state something that should be obvious. ALL OF US (adult humans) have the right to defend ourselves and our familes, and as an extension of that, right to keep and bear arms. It is not granted by any government or document; it is a right that is inherent to us, and can not be abrogated by an act of law or a tyrannical government.

The difference is that in some countries (and in some states in the USA sadly), the gov't has enough illegitimate power to bully us and prevent us from exercising those rights. It may be a subtle distinction, but just because you can't freely exercise a rightwithout fearing reprisal from the government doesn't mean you do not possess it. Don't forget! The right is YOURS.

13. For me, i love guns for sports purposes. For defense, it's the weapon of the last recourse! ;)

14. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Feb 21, 2002
    Philippines
    Probably in the up-bringing, when they were growing up. Not too long ago, especially in the provinces, it's not uncommon for a household to have guns. During parties or any gatherings it's also not uncommon for relatives to "showcase" their guns.

Today, for some reason, people are now being discreet about it. The last time there was a "showcase", it was done behind closed doors and the kids stayed out.

Fast forward several years from now, I won't be surprised if those same kids will be "less informed" about firearms.

15. rhino465

rhino465

Sep 24, 2003
    Indiana, USA
    Clearly you are an erudite and perceptive individual! ;f

16. rhino465

rhino465

Sep 24, 2003
    Indiana, USA
    My dad was was a teenager during WW II. He told me that after the war, 1911s, M1 Carbines, and other weapons were ... plentiful. He had .45 that he had under his pillow when he slept!

It's unfortunate that your government compromises your freedom and liberties so much since the 1970s.

17. i_am_infinity

i_am_infinity Pang Altar

Jun 20, 2005
    To Infinity and Beyond
    And it SUCKS to that no matter how they impose gun control laws still the criminals carry their guns with no regards to any law or laws for that matter.

18. Kiddo

Kiddo

Jun 14, 2003
    The government doesnt want good citizens to posses firearms since the good citizens might see their bad deeds and rebel against them. ;Q

PROGUN or some group should push for an amendment which makes firearm possession and self defense a right. If I could, I would join an organization for that cause.