Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Disturbing new trend at the movies: Wanding.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by REA9mm, Jul 15, 2011.

1. REA9mm

REA9mm get ready

From time to time, my wife will get special free movie screening tickets from a friend of hers. This allows us to go see new releases a few days before they come out. The first one of these I went to was 'Brides Maids' (which is hilarious btw, even for men) and everything was a very normal movie experience, except for having to wait in line a long time to make sure we got a seat.

Well, I guess the company that does the screenings had some issues with piracy since then. The next movie we went to was 'Bad Teacher'. At this screening, we were asked to turn off our phones and display that the phones were off prior to entering. They also had a lady using one of those hand held metal detectors and wanding ppl as they entered, but she was only doing ppl who didnt display an off phone or had a bag, so I passed by w/o incident. I was carrying my Ruger SP101 IWB at 3 o'clock.

Last night, we went to the screening of 'Friends with Benefits' (not good) and it looked like they had the same setup as last time, but this time there were 2 ladies wanding. When we got to the front of the line this time, they informed us that they were now asking ppl to surrender their phones, or place them in their vehicle. I decided to let my wife go ahead into the theater and I took our phones back out to the car. On my way to the car, I debated placing my CCW (Ruger LCP IWB 3 o'clock, b/c it was about 100 degrees outside) in the car along with the phones. But, I ultimately decided that I still maintain the right to defend myself, despite their policies. Upon my entry to the theatre, I was wanded. I had placed my keys in my right pocket, so they would trigger the wand, and I could just pull them out and indicate them as the culprit for the detection. This sort of worked, but the she rewanded my right side again, but it did not go off, so I was awarded entry.

Ultimately, I understand that it's the screening companies right to do this to help prevent piracy. Of coarse, if they asked me to expose what was causing the wand to go off, I would politely decline and therefore would have had to place my CCW in the car. But, if possible, I much prefer to retain my weapon.
  2. double.tap

Apr 9, 2011
    im not going to voluntarily surrender my rights to go to a movie theater. if anything, personally i would call, talk to the manager, and explain the situation (without giving my real name up). if hes willing to wave me through, cool. if he says my business isnt welcome because i value my rights, ill give another movie theater my business instead.

i do know alot of theaters around here have "no gun" signs but that doesnt legally stop me from carrying. now most of those dumb signs have been replaced by more appropriate signs that say "the UNLICENSED posession of a handgun on these premesis is punishable blah blah".

if it was their policy not to have guns, they would have the appropriate 30.06 signs posted that prevent license holders from lawfully carrying. so they may infact be gun friendly. i dont know how your states "gun signs" work though, this is for texas.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

3. Billy10mm

Jun 27, 2008
    Hartsdale, NY
    Everyone always thinks the policy is made up by some anti-gun liberal who works at the corporate office. They're not, they're made up by corporate lawyers who know what a lawsuit is.

Talking to the manager will usually get you nowhere, these policies are in place for insurance liability purposes. If you should end up in a shootout at the movies and an innocent person is hurt and that business ALLOWED you to be on their property with that gun you can REST ASSURED that the person who got shot is going to file a very very large lawsuit against that movie theater for endangering their lives.

Asking someone is worse than just sneaking it in. If you "sneak" it they can claim they were unaware and and did not allow it as per their policies. You're still personally okay since you were still abiding by all local laws. But if you ask, and a manager or employee says, "Sure, not a problem." ... they just endorsed the carrying of a loaded assault weapon by an unknown man, possibly a lunatic, whose proficiency with said Glock 40 porcelain assault-weapon-of-destruction is something that they are not even aware of.

I guarantee that their lawyer will word it more like that ridiculous last sentence than a simple, "Man legally carrying a loaded firearm for personal protection.".
  4. AA#5

Nov 26, 2008
    If I were CCW'ing legally & I was going to get wanded, I'd have my CCW permit ready to show them.
  5. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011
    I would take my business else where either way I understand the need for piracy protection but not at the cost of my rights. Wanding me so I can enter a movie theater is BS so is asking me to surrender or put my phone in the car. So I take my business else where you already pay such a huge premium to even go see the movie if anything they should treat you like King/Queen.

Around here movie tickets go from 12-25+ dollars a pop depending on theater. Locally your looking at 12 at some of the nicer IMax theaters it can be 25+.
  6. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    Ankle holster.
  7. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

Dec 31, 1998
    Indianapolis, IN
    There is a comparable situation in some cities: Businesses prohibiting wearing jackets in certain colors inside their premises.

A business owner CAN prohibit firearms, cell phones, flashlights ... anything that cannot be specifically linked to discrimination that is precluded by law. So can the owner/renter of a residential dwelling. Taking your business elsewhere is your answer; arguing about what "right" supercedes what other "right" is one for the legal arena, not the premises of the business.

Or ... beat the wands by springing big bucks for a Glock 7. Those wands will miss porcelain.
  8. double.tap

Apr 9, 2011
    i never said it would get me anywhere. if they chose to be little b****es about it, i would give my business elsewhere, very simple and it wouldnt cause a scene. i do not give my business to places that have 30.06 signs posted because im not going to disarm to go watch a movie or buy a soda. i would rather not have to try to sneak around like some felon and pretend it was my car keys that set off their walmart purchased metal detectors. and i would never flash my CHL card to some old hag working infront of a movie theater waving a wand over people for 6 dollars an hour. guarantee the first words out of her mouth are going to be "GUN" and "HELP".

the movie theater cannot be sued for you legally carrying a weapon that you are licensed by the state to carry. you, and ONLY you, are responsible for the accidental deaths/injuries caused by your firearm. will a movie theater manager know that off hand? maybe...maybe not. maybe hes got a CHL in his pocket. i wouldnt try to educate him, and i never said i would. i said id call, tell him i am a texas CHL holder, i want to attend the movie but i dont want to cause a scene with the metal detectors in front. if he could wave me i would appreciate it. if he says no you cant bring a gun in here, ill say thanks for your time and youve lost all my future business and ill go do something else instead. its not a big deal.

i dont try to change businesses minds. my gun goes with me everywhere except when im out drinking. if my gun cant go in, i dont go in. if i dont go in, my money doesnt go in either. simple enough. i dont write them letters, i dont email them, i dont stand outfront telling them they are wrong. if you want to deny me my rights, i deny you my business.
  9. Cruiser1

Cruiser1 Still Alive

Jul 15, 2010
    Biloxi, Mississippi
    I leave a copy of this at any business that post no firearms signs:

I noticed your "No Guns Allowed" sign and will respect your wishes by shopping elsewhere.
    Second Amendment to the United States Constitution
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As a Concealed Handgun License Holder
    · I have never been convicted of a felony.
    · I have never been convicted of a crime of violence.
    · I have never been convicted of domestic violence.
    · I am not addicted to nor do I use illegal drugs.
    · I am not under any indictment or a fugitive from justice.
    · I have passed both state and federal background checks.

I do like the idea of no cell phones being allowed in movie theaters.
  10. Warp

Jul 31, 2005
    I would either open carry (serious, and I have done so without incident myself) or politely and discretely inform somebody (wander, management, whatever fits) of your licensed/carrying status.

11. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Heart of Dixie
    I haven't been in a movie theatre in over 20 years.

Why would you want to go to one?
  12. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

May 15, 2011
    Feel the same way about flying????
  13. cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    Wait, so the wand detected your car keys but not your LCP?? She must have been really sloppy with that second pass.
  14. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Jul 22, 2002
    In Remembrance
    I like the aggravation.
  15. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Nov 12, 2005
    Do you know if carrying is against their policy, and if it is does it carry the weight of law?
    Those would be things I would consider.

If I'm in the legal clear, and wanded I would not pull up my shirt to show them what I had, I would say it's none of their business and if they refuse me entrance then so be it. If I'm not wanded and it is legal to carry, I'm going to carry.

Otherwise I'll be going somewhere else.
  16. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent Rude Member

Aug 2, 2010
    When did the TSA start doing theater work??

Ah well, just look at it as a man card tax for watching chick flicks.
  17. double.tap

Apr 9, 2011
    i hope not. if it carried the weight of the law he was no longer a license holder who lawfully carried into a movie theater. he was a criminal who committed felony weapons posession charges by carrying into an establishment that lawfully prohibits license holders.
  18. Cue the "watching movies is a privilege" crowd.
  19. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011
    Yes I do thats why I avoid flying because some of the crap TSA does. I understand keeping people safe and I agree with it but you can take anything to far. Frisking children, Full body scans, abusing elderly and disabled by degrading them. Thats taking it to far I am kinda surprised they don't do a FBI back ground check on ever one who buys a ticket to fly. Half the crap they do has been shown to not even be effective remember hearing on the news that there have been several 1k breaches of security since these rules where implemented.

As long as there are other methods of getting around the country I will opt for them. People used cars to get around since the 1900's so I see nothing wrong with continuing to do that.
  20. RenegadeGlocker

Jul 8, 2001
    Pretty much complete BS. Move out of NY and learn to live free.