close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dislike for Fobus ?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by allegro, Dec 25, 2012.

1. allegro

allegro
    Expand Collapse

As a frequent-follower of the Forum, I notice that there is a lot of chatter about most other (main) brands of OWB holsters and very little about the Fobus products. I am wondering why?

I picked up a Fobus paddle for my G23 after the recommendation of an FBI Agent friend of mine. He liked it, so, what the heck, I figured I would too. He was right and I do !

Are there issues that cause others to NOT like the Fobus? Again, I am very pleased with mine and have been comfortably carrying it now for about a dozen years.

I hope I hear from the experienced masses here.

Happy New Year everyone, be careful and enjoy your families.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. ThinkMud

ThinkMud
    Expand Collapse

I love my Fobus holsters. Some I've had to heat up and remold the trigger guard area because they where either too tight or too loose. But they are quick and easy and simple.

3. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman
    Expand Collapse
    BLR
    Silver Member

My first holster was a Fobus OWB. It was OK but since I needed an IWB for CCW I've gone to an MTAC.

For the price they're decent but there are better holsters out there if you're willing to pay more money.

4. Berto

Berto
    Expand Collapse
    woo woo

I used a Fobus for the BHP and it worked well, but they aren't robust and can be pulled loose at the rivets if you actually use your stuff hard.
    Never an issue for me, I don't engage in Starsky and Hutch type stuff when carrying.

5. firefighter4215

firefighter4215
    Expand Collapse

For basic concealed carry my Fobus holsters are awesome. I wouldn't rely on them for duty use, though I do know of one cop who uses one on his duty belt.

6. kirgi08

kirgi08
    Expand Collapse
    Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

I like them,I had ta trim the paddles on both rh/lh models.'08.

7. TK-421

TK-421
    Expand Collapse

I like mine, it seems okay. I haven't used it much, and only intend it to be a range holster, so that I don't have to set it down. I don't actually plan on carrying it anywhere or using it anywhere except at the range, so I don't expect to see any heavy use or wear and tear on it. For $20, it's not a bad little holster. Just don't expect it to be the most awesome holster ever, and expect it to be a $20 chunk of plastic, and you won't be unhappy with it.

8. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP
    Expand Collapse
    Inactive/Banned

Guess I'm the opposite. I hated the fobus stuff I had. Pistol was hard to pull from holster. Mag carrier had no retention and hurt like hell while wearing it. Cuffs I have wouldn't fit in cuff case. Ended up getting a blackhawk sherpa and was much much happier. I use an extra Gerber multitool pouch for the magazine. Cuff case was replaced by something else now. So now I refuse to buy anything fobus.

Sent from my Federation issued communicator.

9. SPIN2010

SPIN2010
    Expand Collapse
    Searching ...

I just got rid of a FOBUS magazine holder and it was just fine with 10mm Glock mags, I would buy another.

10. NMPOPS

NMPOPS
    Expand Collapse

I have two Fobus paddle holsters for Glocks that I've had for years. Good solid holsters for the money. Not too fond of paddle holsters in general so I have converted one to a belt holster. Works great.

11. NEOH212

NEOH212
    Expand Collapse
    Diesel Girl

There is much better than Fobus. I've had them and they didn't hold up to hard use.

If it's all you have the money for, go for it. If you can afford better, you'll be better off spending the extra money for something better.

12. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

I have had two. One would allow the gun to fall out if you turned it upside down. The other had such tight retention the entire holster would come out of your belt before the gun would draw.

There are better holsters out there for the same money. I don't like Serpas one bit, bit I'd take one over a focus in a pinch.

13. TheExplorer

TheExplorer
    Expand Collapse

That's the expeience I had as well. Both of mine are sitting back in their original packaging. I just don't trust them with my life.

14. tshadow6

tshadow6
    Expand Collapse

I have been carrying my G-19 in a Fobus paddle holster for at least 10 years. Define hard use; daily carry? range carry? motorcycle carry? I've used my Fobus during all of those activities and the holster is still in top condition. People need to understand, holsters are designed to hold the weapon; nothing more.

15. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

A Fobus paddle was my first holster. It put severe scratches on my Glock 26 slide with only a few uses. Perhaps there was grit in there or whatever. I won't touch Fobus again.

#15 cowboy1964, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  16. NEOH212

NEOH212
    Expand Collapse
    Diesel Girl

Constant draw and re-holster on the order of several thousand times in a year. Rolling around on the ground while transitioning to and from various shooting positions, getting it snagged on things, rough handling in various training exercises, ect.

Stuff like that.

It would appear that the Fobus line of holsters isn't designed to stand up to that kind of use because I haven't had one yet that did. I've had three total. Never have I had one completely fail but I've had the rivets loosen up on all three of them to the point where the holster would no longer retain the gun securely.

I like the holsters simplicity but I would like to see them make it more robust. Then it wouldn't be too bad.

I still like it better over the Serpa any day though.

17. NEOH212

NEOH212
    Expand Collapse
    Diesel Girl

Premium Kydex or Premium leather is the only way to go.

I never did understand the mentality of someone that will go spend $500+ on a handgun but complain about spending more than $20 on a holster.

:faint:

Do yourselves a favor and purchase a real holster for your gun and call it a day.

:wavey:

#17 NEOH212, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  18. kirgi08

kirgi08
    Expand Collapse
    Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

There are a few ways ta increase the life of a fobus holster,felt/heat ect.'08.

19. redbaron007

redbaron007
    Expand Collapse
    Some Dude
    Lifetime Member
    1. The Outpost Lounge

Have two of them...now problems...depending what your needs are, they're good. If you want it for a duty holster...I'd spend a little extra and get a better holster.

:wavey:

red

20. Lior

Lior
    Expand Collapse
    GUNS=FREEDOM

My main beef with Fobus plastic gear is that it is too easy to bootleg and flog to gun owners as the genuine article.

As the Fobus factory is but five miles from my home, I get the genuine article and all of my Fobus plastic holsters and holders have been excellent - secure, light, affordable, comfortable, quick drawing. Obviously not for deep concealment but in the winter it is no issue.